UPDATE: DIY Throttle Response Mod

SVTsupremecy

forum member
Reaction score
im already running a bamachips 93 octane tune and it still does it...guess i should ask doug for an updated tune?

1Fast05Turbo

Flying Low
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
An apartment complex, hence the term "Slumlord".

Roper's apartment complex. They even have garages.
slums.jpg

"Slumlord"

SVTsupremecy

forum member
Reaction score
Right because the tune will fix a mechanical issue......
So you think its the pedal? I honestly dont think my pedal has much play (i was planning on doing this pedal mod) but i think my tune has something to do with my RPMs going up 100-200 when im in between shifts...maybe your right tho, theres only 1 way to find out. I need to hurry up and do this pedal fix and find out.

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nope, just Mister Roper, Lord amongst Landlords. The original post regarding this mod had several holes in the story. The resulting posts by the stripe-color aficionados at censored.com were hilarious at first, but soon became annoying ("Made my V6 feel like a GT"). As far as a "dead spot" goes, my car never had it and there was an easier method of accomplishing this mod posted at this website.

Whatever floats your boat. Uh oh, I'm turning into hawgman...

CreditDonKnotts1.jpg

Sorry Mister Roper, Ralph Furley was the Land Lord or Landlords :leghump:

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
And it's still about as effective as putting duct tape over your windshield seals for more downforce. Learn how to drive your car - problem solved.

Sorry Stanley, you are dead wrong about what this mod does. I am not trying to start a pissing match with you, but this is a mechanical slop issue that a tune will never compensate or fix. Some will have it some will not.

My car has had a damn dead spot in it since I got it. HPP could never tune it out and they are damn good. I did the mod first by using tape, and then later by putting a set screw behind the pedal and turning it until the RPMs started to go up at idle and then just backed it down a hair. No more deadspot, and the throttle is very responsive. Here is what I now notice with this mod:

1. Just a slight push on the gas pedal will cause the car to unlock the torque converter and raise the revs when cruising.

2. When you let off the gas the rpms drop and with the addition of my Spydershaft, the car pulls back. It acts just like a car with manual transmission when you back off the gas.

3. When I am in traffic and have to be light on the go pedal the car does not lurch like it did before.

Basically all I did with installing the screw and tweaking it was to move the brushes onto the thin-film carbon resistors and off of the pads.

The resistance over the pads does not change with pedal position due to the cross-sectional area of the resistor being extremely large. When the brushes are on the thin film resistors, the resistance changes dramatically since the cross-sectional area is very small.

Here is the Physics/Electrical Engineering that support this mod:

R (resistance) = pL/A where p (rho) = resistivity

On the pads A is large and L has no effect.

On the thin film resistor, A is very small so L has a helluva effect.

This mod will do nothing to improve performance, 1/4 mile times, etc. All it does is make the car more driveable and responsive in traffic by basically eliminating the slack in the "electric throttle cable."

Thx,

Mike

GI Joe

Reaction score
I have 2 tunes and I can swap them out and have 2" of dead pedal in one and the other will yank a knot in your ass if you wiggle your big toe.
I know for a fact it can be tuned out.
I'm not trying to start a pissing contest either but will be glad to email the tunes to anyone who doubts it if it will run in your car.
Now it may be that both are correct. It may be a mechanical issue that in fact can be overcome by tuning. How? By continuing to work on the pedal follower and torque management stuff and OVER compensate for what is a mechanical issue...But there is no doubt it can be tuned out. I have proof of it.

Last edited:

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
:tdown: let this thread die ! (like is should have) .... :tdown:

:doggy::doggy::doggy:

I don't need it, no-one else should either :naughty:

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have 2 tunes and I can swap them out and have 2" of dead pedal in one and the other will yank a knot in your ass if you wiggle your big toe.
I know for a fact it can be tuned out.
I'm not trying to start a pissing contest either but will be glad to email the tunes to anyone who doubts it if it will run in your car.
Now it may be that both are correct. It may be a mechanical issue that in fact can be overcome by tuning. How? By continuing to work on the pedal follower and torque management stuff and OVER compensate for what is a mechanical issue...But there is no doubt it can be tuned out. I have proof of it.

If you don't believe it fine. It does work. Also, I hate to say most folks don't understand how the gas pedal really works or the physics/EE involved that I tried to explain.

You can take slop out with the tune. However, when you get to the point of doing what you said and it still doesn't work, and then you put a shim in and find your pedal slop is gone, what can you say??

I know I could move my gas pedal 1/4 of an inch and the car would not budge. It doesn't do that with this mod in place.

My last $0.02 on the subject.

Mike

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back