Weird Start Up Noise, Need Help

Red197

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Ford Mustang V6 with 75k miles on it. I bought it about a year ago and when winter started i began to hear a weird, loud, high pitched noise when I started the car. I wasn't able to figure out what is was but I assumed it was the starter. Once it became warm out again the car stopped making the noise but then (towards the start of summer) I started to hear the noise again.

Some people said online or in person that it was the starter while others said it was the AC and I just need to make sure I don't start the car with the AC on. I tested different things and found that whenever I turned on the electricity, then turned the AC on, then turned the car all the way on that it didn't make the noise (weirdly). That was about a week ago but now the car makes the noise loudly no matter what I do. I took a video of the noise (link below) and was wondering if anybody could help.

Thanks

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
I don't think it is the starter. Sounds to me like it is the belt making the noise. Possibly an idler pulley starting to fail. I would remove the belt, and turn each pulley by hand and feel for any binding. And you can also start the car with the belt off to verify the noise is not present.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I had an alternator sing/sound like a bad transmission once. It would come and go.

08MustangDude

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
That is your starter. If you notice, no accessory pulleys were spinning the
first time it made that noise, it cranked, engine stopped, and you still hear
the noise as the starter motor winds down; so no, it's not anything on the
motor, it's the starter.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back