What have you done to your house today

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
I have that exact fan. It pushes some air and looks great.

I was surprised to see a fan I liked (that one) at Lowe's. It looks like it could really get the job done.

My wife doesn't like fans, so we spent the day buying 10 light fixtures for our dining room, living room, main basement room, bedrooms, and two of our bathrooms. We still need to pick fixtures for two more bathrooms and our conservatory, but the house is riddled with canned lights, so we can take our time.

We also bought new patio furniture and random stuff for the kitchen.

i am ryan

forum member
Reaction score
Going to look at a house tomorrow. 4/3, 3,000 sqft on 2.6 acres that back up to the woods. It's a little farther out from where I'd like to be, but it has everything else, including a detached 2 car garage.

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
Going to look at a house tomorrow. 4/3, 3,000 sqft on 2.6 acres that back up to the woods. It's a little farther out from where I'd like to be, but it has everything else, including a detached 2 car garage.

Sounds like a great set up. Take pictures!

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score

You won't regret the commute. Having the space will be nice.

i am ryan

forum member
Reaction score
You won't regret the commute. Having the space will be nice.

Well it would be an additional 20 minutes for me, but would save the wife 15 minutes. Of course her drive is mostly highway, whereas mine is just suburban roads so if I don't leave the office right at 4pm it could take me as long as an hour to get home. I did the 30-60 minute commute before and hated it, but if this house is everything that I think it is then it may just be what we're looking for. I'm going from a 3/2 apartment so any additional space will be phenomenal.

i am ryan

forum member
Reaction score
So here's the house: http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/42059839_zpid

EVERYTHING in this house is textured. Walls and ceilings, which I cannot live with. Not a deal breaker though, just needs some elbow grease. It's a solid house though with some walls that could come down, and the master bath ceiling is, well, just look at the pics. The question is, if we buy the house all in at say 220 (guy that owns it bought in August at 211 and has done almost nothing to the house), and spend another 50k on it, will it be worth 70k more to US than the other houses we've looked at in the 200k area. The house is livable as it sits, so this could happen over time.

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Looks really nice and that's a lot of house for the money. Plus the 2.6 acres is awesome. But the cardinal rule with real estate is that it always boils down to location.

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score

Had a new farm house table built for my dining room. I was going to build it myself, but couldn't ever find the time, so I paid somebody. It came out amazing. It's a 6' table with two 1' extensions for each end when we have company. Now I just have to buy some chairs for the other side.

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score

EVERYTHING in this house is textured. Walls and ceilings, which I cannot live with. Not a deal breaker though, just needs some elbow grease. It's a solid house though with some walls that could come down, and the master bath ceiling is, well, just look at the pics. The question is, if we buy the house all in at say 220 (guy that owns it bought in August at 211 and has done almost nothing to the house), and spend another 50k on it, will it be worth 70k more to US than the other houses we've looked at in the 200k area. The house is livable as it sits, so this could happen over time.

I really like that place. It's interesting. Has character. We made a similar decision when we bought our place. There's a lot we want to do, and it was a short sale, so it had a lot that needed to be done, but it was livable. The hard part is not doing everything at once.

Good luck man. I hope you get it.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Jaye, looks like we have matching setups... Lol

b772d575afe84846d37d2dd1b98c1dae.jpg

Excuse the fold up chairs, the ones we ordered should be here in June.

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
What are you guys' thoughts on this? Our builder is supposedly planning on pouring our back patio today. When we were at the house on Friday the ground level was still a couple of feet below where it deeded to be. On top of that, they were digging trenches and putting in 4" drainage pipes. We're worried that the new soil they put in from then until now hasn't had enough of a chance to settle, and we are going to have issues after moving in. The patio is going to be around 20' x 12', off of the top of my head.

Jeffk

forum member
Reaction score
Saturday I ripped out the backdoor of our house, the bottom of the casing was rotting. Once I tore it out I also found old termite damage across the top, the brickmold was basically sawdust up there. I put in a new door and caulked the hell out of it. Hopefully this one won't suffer the same fate. I can't put a storm door on it because our Boxer likes to jump up in the door. I can't break her of it.

No installed pics of the new one, basic door with 9 lite window.

I also put down some tile look laminate flooring in the basement hallway.

There was old builder style linoleum down there that was dingy and worn.

Jeffk

forum member
Reaction score

That's a really cool looking place!

i am ryan

forum member
Reaction score
That's a really cool looking place!

It certainly has the potential to be. I'm just researching numbers on what it will take to get it there. This house is at the top of my comfort zone/budget, and it truly is a great house.

What I'm thinking about today:
I buy at 220-230, and spend another 50k over the next few years, I have $280k into the house. At that point, is it worth the extra 30 grand vs. the $185k house we looked at that could be pretty awesome all in at $240k?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something but I'm not seeing where you would spend $50K unless you just start ripping out and throwing away perfectly good stuff.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back