Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Infamous05, Apr 11, 2013.
Went to IKEA to grab a few cabinets for the extra living room/playroom. Was going to do a set of 5 and make them look like built-ins but decided on changing it up a bit. Going to do 3 centered up (got them mounted and secured to the wall already), and going to add this butcher top countertop across the top, and a slight drop down on both sides to the wall. Then going to use the leftover strips (approx 9-10” and make floating shelves with the same butcher block). Still have to stain it and cut it to size to finish it off. Ignore the mess for now haha. Paint samples on the wall were before I decided on doing this. Still have to figure out a paint scheme once the cabinet tops are done.
Mike, still in Orange County? House looks great.
Kern County (Bakersfield). Just moved into this home last April. We couldn’t afford a home like this in Orange County haha
Hopefully we will be back out there in October.
Is your furnace modulating, single stage or two stage? A good modulating furnace will vary the amount of heat and air depending on load required whereas the others will either use a barometric type damper to dump the overload of heat back into the furnace, or the other zone dampers will be locked partially open to accept the overload.
I think that when we replaced everything it is a two stage. The dampers for the other zones were defaulting to open and the heat was flowing to those zones.
Did an overhaul of my ductwork last week. House was built in the early 50s. All of the supply registers were located in the center walls of the house, returns on the outer walls. With the thermostat located on a center wall, the furnace would run, immediately satisfy the thermostat and turn off, leaving an overall feeling of cold throughout the house.
Not only was the layout an issue, but the existing trunks and round pipe were way too large and not setup correctly, resulting in no static pressure and little supply to the 2nd floor. The plan was to reduce the trunk sizes and run new 6” round pipe to the outer walls as new supply vents, and use the existing supply registers as the new cold air returns. As the HVAC people will know, this will help the overall feeling throughout the house and result in slightly longer run times for the system. (Instead of on/off on/off every 5 minutes)
While taking it all down, you wouldn’t believe the amount of dust in the return vents. It literally rolled off the panning in sheets as it came down. I’ve only been in the house 3 years but I can imagine there’s never been a ductwork cleaning performed.
Decided to go with floor registers as opposed to the old wall spots, as I prefer the look of them. Used an old sears jigsaw with a handful of reverse cut blades that seemed to do the trick nicely. A little hesitant at first drilling through my hardwoods but after the 3rd one I was making record time.
Overall I’m happy with how it all came out. I’ve spray foamed the existing wall cavities (old returns)and closed them up from the basement. The house definitely feels different now, and I find myself going downstairs just to look at the new shiny duckwork.
I’m working on the drywall and replacing the moulding throughout the house now.
Overall Time: about a week of evenings and 1 full weekend day
Overall price: about $550 (got most parts at or around cost)