What type of leak is this?

20155h

Reaction score
Assuming the vehicle/motor in question was under warranty, would this be something I should worry about?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Assuming the vehicle/motor in question was under warranty, would this be something I should worry about?

You're driving a 12 year old car. No factory warranty, your only option is one of those bullshit, scammer 'extended warranty' ripoffs. Those warranties are about 90-95% commissions and profits with little (if any) money allotted toward actual repairs. They obviously do not have their own mechanics or shop so any work performed is subbed out to whoever is willing to work for their skimpy payout allotments. Then they delay payments to the shops for 60-90 days or longer, so there is a constant turnover of shops willing to do their work.

Are you really willing to allow a shop to pull the heads off your engine when everybody knows up front that they are not getting paid very much for the job? Are you willing to trust the lowest bidder to put your engine back together properly without missing a single nut or bolt because he takes pride in his work? I'm sorry but anybody who even mentions warranty on a 12 year old car has to have a few screws loose, or simply has no clue.

But the other part of your question was already asked and answered earlier in the thread. The stain was dry, just minor seepage which doesn't appear to be hurting anything. Consensus was to leave it alone.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I had this on my '08, nothing to do about it for OP now, you'll never notice leaking that much oil.

Mine's not leaking any more since I R&R'd my heads to put the boss rods in and freshen the engine.
The front seal was leaking like a sieve, also! Car was about 8 years old, 80k miles.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I had this on my '08, nothing to do about it for OP now, you'll never notice leaking that much oil.

Mine's not leaking any more since I R&R'd my heads to put the boss rods in and freshen the engine.
The front seal was leaking like a sieve, also! Car was about 8 years old, 80k miles.
Have u sold ur bullitt yet ? perhaps trade it in on a shiny new eV tractor. Notice gas prices lately...right through the stratosphere.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
No interest, forgot I listed it, bigger concerns these days. Work is becoming crazy.

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
Unless you plan to show the car, like others said/recommend...hit it w/ some cleaner & monitor. It's under the hood so not like there's a stain on your seat (e.g. skid-mark). :D

Deathstang II

Reaction score
I've never done anything with the heads, but I remembered reading a while back that torque to yield bolts are one-time use and cannot be changed once they are set. I appreciate you confirming that though.

I cleaned the area (wasn't much to clean since it was dry) and I'll just check it out a couple times a month to see if it worsens, thanks!

Everyones experience varies, but when I had to do a head gasket job on a '98 v6 we reused the head bolts and everything went smoothly even 30k miles after the job was done before having sold the car. If you are so worried about it, I'd just redo the head gaskets, not entirely hard to do on these cars. But I would do the job correctly rather than taking my experience lol.

Last edited:

08Bullitt5247

Reaction score
I have the same "leak" on mine with 150k miles. No oil/coolant consumption.

I have always wondered if maybe it was years of oily vapors that may have come out of the pcv hose right around there? And they gather up on that ridge by the headgasket.

I checked mine about 2 years ago, and then again in April when I installed a Paxton. There was no change at all in amount of "leak" that was on that side of the motor.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back