Will a 275/40 tire fit a stock 8.5" wide rim?

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Like the title says, will a 275/40zr18 fit on the stock 18" rim? I think the stock rims are 8.5 inches, is that correct? I see that the recommended minimum size rim is 9 inches. I want to make sure that it will not cause the side wall to balloon out and look like crap and cause the tire to wear badly.
Thanks

kenneth

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have 275/40/18's all around on my stock fanblades. NO problems.

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. :beerchug2: I just placed the order last night. Going with 245/45 up front and 275/40 out back. Needed a little more contact patch out back to try to get some grip.

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
fwiw i ran a 275/40 mt et street radial on a stock 8" wide 17" bullit wheel and could get 1.5x 60' at no problem ...btw when you gonna go get some times with that thing man lol

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
fwiw i ran a 275/40 mt et street radial on a stock 8" wide 17" bullit wheel and could get 1.5x 60' at no problem ...btw when you gonna go get some times with that thing man lol

I hear ya dude. Everyone is on my ass to get some times. I really haven't had a chance to get to the track and the few days that I have been off when they had TNT I just didn't feel like going. Always got honey-do's biting my ass. Hell my drag radials are gonna dry rot sittin in the den. :kill:

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
if you want to get some good times go for the pro tnt nights they actually prep the track really really good , that way you can launch and not just do a burnout competition lol

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
usually on saturday nights before the midnight madness and no prob , the regular tnt nights are pretty good as long as you run the right lane ( left is for street tires/dr's right is dr's and slicks ) but the night i went for pro tnt the track was crazy hooking as in i watched 2 rear ends blow , a 3650 shred to shit , 2 vettes shred rear ends , i blew a clutch lol yea needless to say it hooked ....... i been wanting to go up to sc but it always seems something pops up hopefully car will be done by mid month and will be tuned and i'll go run up there on a sunday

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
usually on saturday nights before the midnight madness and no prob , the regular tnt nights are pretty good as long as you run the right lane ( left is for street tires/dr's right is dr's and slicks ) but the night i went for pro tnt the track was crazy hooking as in i watched 2 rear ends blow , a 3650 shred to shit , 2 vettes shred rear ends , i blew a clutch lol yea needless to say it hooked ....... i been wanting to go up to sc but it always seems something pops up hopefully car will be done by mid month and will be tuned and i'll go run up there on a sunday

Damn, I have never seen NP hook like that. Glad I wasn't there, I probably would have blown something to pieces.

Prairieville, LA....you must know Wes and Benjy.

Yep, sure do. The shop is only about 1/4 mile from my house. They are where I go to get work done. Great place to deal with.

StangPower05

"Pony Up"
Reaction score
I might be pushing it with this one, but will a 305/45 fit the stock 18in rim? I could get a sweet deal on some 305/45 M/T Drag Radials and was wondering if i can squeeze it on there?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I might be pushing it with this one, but will a 305/45 fit the stock 18in rim? I could get a sweet deal on some 305/45 M/T Drag Radials and was wondering if i can squeeze it on there?

a bit too big IMHO, min recommended rim size is 9.5" also @ 29" its a tall mo fo

StangPower05

"Pony Up"
Reaction score
a bit too big IMHO, min recommended rim size is 9.5" also @ 29" its a tall mo fo

yea lol, but will it work? Would i be able to mount them up and run with them at the track?? I can get a really,really sweet deal on em that why i am asking.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
well, yea they can be forced on.

two issues come to mind

1) can you find a shop that will mount them?

2) will it really be worth while, when you stuff a big tire on a small rim you give up performance.

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
well, yea they can be forced on.

two issues come to mind

1) can you find a shop that will mount them?

2) will it really be worth while, when you stuff a big tire on a small rim you give up performance.

+1 i had one hella time getting 275/40/17's mounted on stock 17x8's here

and just go on american muscle or somewhere and pick up a cheap set of 18x10 bullets for a $100 bucks or so

StangPower05

"Pony Up"
Reaction score
+1 i had one hella time getting 275/40/17's mounted on stock 17x8's here

and just go on american muscle or somewhere and pick up a cheap set of 18x10 bullets for a $100 bucks or so

Yea I might just have to do that. But as for the 45 profile on the tires, would that be fine for an 05?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
what rear gear do you have. the 305/45 is a tall tire and will hurt your gearing, also if your lowered you may have a issue with clearance with the wheel wells

StangPower05

"Pony Up"
Reaction score
what rear gear do you have. the 305/45 is a tall tire and will hurt your gearing, also if your lowered you may have a issue with clearance with the wheel wells

im runnin 3.55s right now, but will be puttin in either 3.73s or 4.10s in the near future. The 305/45 came off a stock shelby so i assummed that they would work fine with my car, and plus, im gettin them for a steal! :naughty1:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back