You knew it was coming...Porsche Build Thread

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Man, you can see those wood screws in your painted interior pics. What a dumbass it takes to use those! I agree, the car looks much cleaner without the side skirts and in all reality, every single pound of weight you can get rid of while doing all of this will make the car perform that much better. Were I you, I'd be thinking of ways to get rid of a lot of the shit on the car since it will be a dedicated track car. Who needs a headliner anyway?

I'm following this project with a lot of interest. I love watching a project car come together, no matter what kind it is.

I'm also interested in knowing what your power train plans are for later.

BSell

forum member
Reaction score
Silver and Red, flying lizard style perhaps?

I think I figured out my engine whine. The last owner told me he replaced the balance belt and it started whining, he assumed it was a bearing but I listened to another car that had the same whine and it was an over tightened belt. I ordered a belt tension measuring device so I can check all my belts and correct the problem. I also am looking into the Idle Speed Control Valve because the car nearly stalls if you blip the throttle real quick but it pulls like a train at high RPMs.

True enough, tight belts whine like the dickens...

Did you pull the ICV and clean it with carb cleaner? Usually that will do the trick for a while on the high-mileage engines.

BSell

forum member
Reaction score
Also tracked down that pesky engine whine, the previous owner tightened the balance belt too much, I just need to loosen it and we're GTG. However, I noticed a slight puddle under the power steering reservoir, I am going to buy new hoses for it and tighten everything up.

Get a new reservoir as there is a filter in there that gets gummed up. With the car seeing track use, you don't want a low-flow situation when you turn the wheel back and forth through the S's.

Zexford

forum member
Reaction score
Love the build!

Do have a question, I understand you are keeping the same drivetrain for now, but Im curious what the plan is for down the road.

I'm not sure yet, gonna try and have some fun with the current drive train, I have been told these engines are good up to several hundreds of thousands of miles.

Man, you can see those wood screws in your painted interior pics. What a dumbass it takes to use those! I agree, the car looks much cleaner without the side skirts and in all reality, every single pound of weight you can get rid of while doing all of this will make the car perform that much better. Were I you, I'd be thinking of ways to get rid of a lot of the shit on the car since it will be a dedicated track car. Who needs a headliner anyway?

I'm following this project with a lot of interest. I love watching a project car come together, no matter what kind it is.

I'm also interested in knowing what your power train plans are for later.

Yea, the original owner clearly never took care of the car seeing as it had no paint left on parts of it, it had a car cover that was brand new and never used...

True enough, tight belts whine like the dickens...

Did you pull the ICV and clean it with carb cleaner? Usually that will do the trick for a while on the high-mileage engines.

I didn't work on the ICV yet but its on the list.

Get a new reservoir as there is a filter in there that gets gummed up. With the car seeing track use, you don't want a low-flow situation when you turn the wheel back and forth through the S's.

The reservoir is in good shape, I put some liquid gasket on it, works like a charm on an F-16 figure it should work on a Porsche, it stopped the leak for now. However in the event it becomes a problem in the future i'm going to get drastic with a rebuild.

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
Good progress you got going on this thing. I live through others since I don't have the money for a new build.
What are you thinking for drastic build down the road?

Zexford

forum member
Reaction score
Good progress you got going on this thing. I live through others since I don't have the money for a new build.
What are you thinking for drastic build down the road?

Drastic build down the road will probably be another car, perhaps a 911 GT3 (originally what I wanted but they are out of my current budget). This car is a budget built (cheap is a poor word for the cage but not a super fancy perfect one, budget seats, harnesses, fire extinguisher instead of a fire suppression system, keeping stock wheels just new tires. I plan to keep this car semi road worthy but the next car will be completely tracked, full 10pt cage, expensive race seat, race build engine, non-stock wheels.

Current car = PCA club racing/HPDE, Next car = Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge Series (I know, wishful thinking)

What this car is, is an entrance into racing. First stepping stone towards the big league.

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
It may be a stepping stone into racing but I'm sure it will be an absolute blast. A GT3 race preped car would be insane.

Zexford

forum member
Reaction score
It may be a stepping stone into racing but I'm sure it will be an absolute blast. A GT3 race preped car would be insane.

That is my ultimate goal but I am sure there will be several cars before I get that. I'd like to get a Formula Car and run in the FE series.

Zexford

forum member
Reaction score
Started taping the car off for paint today, got most of the way done, got side tracked and had to run out for a minute, stupid me didn't throw a car cover on the car. Rained while I was out...

Needless to say I need to redo all the tape again.

Zexford

forum member
Reaction score
So, I was surfing the net earlier looking at different 944s people have build (horrible idea if you are building a car) and I now have the uncontrollable desire to custom carpet my car to make it super clean. I have a heat gun, spray adhesive and a razor blade, I think I could do it, just gotta find some rolls of black automotive carpet. Also have a sweet idea for the rear seat buckets, gonna use some metal flashing and carpet over it to make it flush.

In my last update I said I was taping off the car for paint, well the weather sucks and due to extensive problems mounting my seat (involves a grinder with a cutting blade, silver sharpie, measuring tape, big hammer and some JB weld (went a bit too deep in one spot) I have given up with the taping since I can't drive my car to the place right now.

Last edited:

Mr. WHO

forum member
Reaction score
Carpet may be a good idea in keeping the road heat off you. Just make sure you have a heel pad in there or your gonna wear that carpet out quick.

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the paint, but more so with the seat.

Zexford

forum member
Reaction score
Carpet may be a good idea in keeping the road heat off you. Just make sure you have a heel pad in there or your gonna wear that carpet out quick.

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the paint, but more so with the seat.

Gonna use a nice diamond plate heel pad, nothing more durable than that, however I am going to get the more round style so as to not destroy my shoes after one race. The paint is whatever right now, Maaco had a sale but it ended a while ago so now there is no rush. The seat needs to get in the damn car, I expected it to go in easier so I already registered and insured the fucking thing...

Zexford

forum member
Reaction score
I did a mock-up fit of the interior, redyed the carpet, it looks maroon in the pictures but in real life its solid black and looks good.

DSC03370.jpg

DSC03376.jpg

DSC03380.jpg

DSC03383.jpg

DSC03385.jpg

Yes, I know, I still have to paint the roof and a-pillars

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
If you wiped the console down a bit it would look pretty good, congrats on getting over the hump!

Zexford

forum member
Reaction score
If you wiped the console down a bit it would look pretty good, congrats on getting over the hump!

Its super dirty from cutting the floor boards. Today is a bittersweet post, my best friend and room mate died today, my beloved Trevor, he was a 14yo Shetland Sheepdog, owned him since I was 10 years old. It was his time to go and I took him to the vet to do the right thing. Too keep myself occupied today I locked myself outside with my tools and I finished cutting the drivers side floorboard, the drivers seat is just a few bolts from going in, going to stop by home depot tomorrow to get some Grade 8s

Last edited:

killr3v

Hector G.
Reaction score
Sorry about your pup man. I love my dog to death so I can imagine how you feel.

The car is coming along nicely! Wish I had money to do this kind of thing. Keep at it man!

cop on my back

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, we just put our Chocolate Lab down 2 months ago. I still think I hear her in the house in the night. It gets better, keep your chin up.

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
I've had about a dozen partings with dogs. It doesn't get any easier with practice. Good thing is they are almost as real in memory as in life. That's a lie: they're gone and it hurts. One of the bad things about human longevity, outliving loved ones.

Zexford

forum member
Reaction score
Another wonderful day, turns out Hurricane Irene is going to blast us head on, had to evacuate the car to higher ground, but I did get to drive it (after a jump start) man that car is fun to drive, hard to drive though with the seats not being bolted down haha. The mustang will be evacuated tomorrow to join the Porsche. Pictures of storm/aftermath given that it hits us will follow however the work on the car will be delayed.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back