Your opinions/experiences valued here - Help me choose the right driveshaft.

hammerdown

forum member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a 1PC driveshaft to replace my stock one. I'm running an e-force and a set of 4.10's but the car is still at stock height. I'm looking to go forged soon and crank up the boost until I hit around 550 rwhp. Before I do I'm in need of some other supporting mods. Driveshaft being one of them.

At this point I've narrowed it down to three contenders and am looking for some honest feedback on any and/or all of them. Here are my selections:

Dynotech 3.5" Aluminum:
http://www.brenspeed.com/dshaft05gt.html

Shaftmasters 3.5" Aluminum:
http://www.shaftmasters.com/3aldrfomu20v4.html

PST Carbon Fiber (Custom similar to this one):
http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=393&parent=0

I chose these because all three will hold the power I intend to make and they are all direct replacement driveshafts that do not require new pinion flanges or adaptor plates.

My biggest concern is vibration. Especially with 4.10's in the car I'm gonna be twisting that shaft pretty darn fast at the end of the track. I like the CV design of the PST because inherently vibration harmonics aren't as much of a concern compared to phase matching the two u-joint ends, getting the perfect output shaft and pinion angles, yadda, yadda... The other two seem to get good reviews as well however, this being one of the more tech-savvy mustang forums around. I'd prefer to solicit my feedback here.

Thanks!
-HD

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I've had a Dynotech for over 2 years. Never had a problem with it. It still fit when I went to a TR-6060. Great product.

F

FordEvangelist

+1 on Dynatech. I forget it's on the car sometimes. No problems at all. Had mine since January 2009 and raced it many times.

I've had a Dynotech for over 2 years. Never had a problem with it. It still fit when I went to a TR-6060. Great product.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
It's not on your list but I've got an e-force, 4.10's, 3" pulley on a 302 stroker and I have the powerhouse driveshaft and love it.

hammerdown

forum member
Reaction score
It's not on your list but I've got an e-force, 4.10's, 3" pulley on a 302 stroker and I have the powerhouse driveshaft and love it.

I've heard good things about those too and maybe I'm splitting hairs here but I'm trying to avoid needing an adapter plate to mate with the pinion flange but I suppose in the grand scheme of it all as long as the part gets the job done it doesn't really matter.

I'll keep them in mind.
Thanks!

-HD

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
I've heard good things about those too and maybe I'm splitting hairs here but I'm trying to avoid needing an adapter plate to mate with the pinion flange but I suppose in the grand scheme of it all as long as the part gets the job done it doesn't really matter.

I'll keep them in mind.
Thanks!

-HD

The adapter is a nice piece and I didn't have any worries about using it. As long as you take your time cleaning out the inside of the pinion flange so it sits nice and flush you'll have no problems with it. WD40 works great for cleaning out the old loctite and rust.

rayS197

Reaction score
The adapter is a nice piece and I didn't have any worries about using it. As long as you take your time cleaning out the inside of the pinion flange so it sits nice and flush you'll have no problems with it. WD40 works great for cleaning out the old loctite and rust.
+1 on the PH its a nice DS. another reason is the customer service from Mike and Bret. I was suprised how well made the adapter was.

bigstick

forum member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a 1PC driveshaft to replace my stock one. I'm running an e-force and a set of 4.10's but the car is still at stock height. I'm looking to go forged soon and crank up the boost until I hit around 550 rwhp. Before I do I'm in need of some other supporting mods. Driveshaft being one of them.

At this point I've narrowed it down to three contenders and am looking for some honest feedback on any and/or all of them. Here are my selections:

Dynotech 3.5" Aluminum:
http://www.brenspeed.com/dshaft05gt.html

Shaftmasters 3.5" Aluminum:
http://www.shaftmasters.com/3aldrfomu20v4.html

PST Carbon Fiber (Custom similar to this one):
http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=393&parent=0

I chose these because all three will hold the power I intend to make and they are all direct replacement driveshafts that do not require new pinion flanges or adaptor plates.

My biggest concern is vibration. Especially with 4.10's in the car I'm gonna be twisting that shaft pretty darn fast at the end of the track. I like the CV design of the PST because inherently vibration harmonics aren't as much of a concern compared to phase matching the two u-joint ends, getting the perfect output shaft and pinion angles, yadda, yadda... The other two seem to get good reviews as well however, this being one of the more tech-savvy mustang forums around. I'd prefer to solicit my feedback here.

Thanks!
-HD

Shaftmasters. Good price. Easy install. No vibrations up to 125mph. I've only had it for 11 runs on a drag strip but it's not even something I think about anymore.

Scord

forum member
Reaction score
My 1pc driveshaft was made by a local shop in my area... but out of all the venders that sell via Website / shipping I would highly suggest powerhouse / shaftmasters as both take care of their customers very well. It’s one thing to buy a high quality piece of equipment, and then it’s another to by a high quality piece, and know if a "fluke" happens, you will be taken care of:2cents:

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Axle exhange is really good. Never any issues, be prepared to buy an upper adjustable control arm just incase (not to any specific drive shaft)

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
The axle exchange will require replacing your pinion flange entirely. So be prepared for that. Steeda sold these for a while. The instructions explain how to remove the stock flange and install the new one but it's a procedure that some people frown upon.

I helped put a shaftmasters on my friend's car. It had no flange adapter or replacement flange. Mated up with the stock flange. Keep in mind that you will need crow's feet extensions to torque the rear bolts down if you intend to do it to spec. Incidentally, we had to do it by hand and his car has vibration problems above 85mph. We aren't sure whether doing things out of spec is the cause or not. YMMV.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Reaction score

I'll keep them in mind.
Thanks!

-HD

If you want an OEM bolt up with no adapter or no flange change, look no further than Shaftmasters.

Shaftmasters - 3.5" Aluminum - direct bolt in

hammerdown

forum member
Reaction score
Just based on the responses so far, looks like Powerhouse is the group favorite.

I'll definitely give them another look. Speaking of Powerhouse, I like the idea of a 4" vs. a 3.5" because I've read at least one other post that addresses critical speed and that you can spin a 4" shaft faster than a 3.5" before it reaches critical speed. I suppose I'm willing to back off my position on using an adapter plate if it means getting a trouble-free driveshaft. I definitely want to avoid changing the pinion flange though as my gears are already set up.

True/False?

Also I have plans to lower the car 1" in the not so distant future, but I'm concerned about fitment issues with a 4" shaft and lowered suspension. And my upper and lower's are all adjustable so adjusting both pinion and thrust angles are not an issue.

Appreciate all the responses and feedback so far. Thank You.
-HD

Last edited:

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
I would be concerned with lowering the car with a 4" driveshaft. I'm not lowered and until I really got everything tight in the rear and stopped the car from squatting when launching, the shaft was rubbing in the middle of the tunnel as well as at the back of it.

I would try to get a 3.5" if you're lowering the car.

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
I am also doing the eforce-stroker-tr3650 and Powerhouse driveshaft. Mike is a very nice guy to work with.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back