16s26 Passenger Side Airbag Inflator

46addict

Reaction score
I know about the driver's side inflator recall but the Ford Owner site brings up a passenger side inflator when I type in my VIN into the safety recalls query. Are there dealers that even have the parts for the PS? I called 5 dealers around me and only 1 has parts for the driver's side, and there is no mentioning of the passenger side.

Also the PO who had the car says the recall was done and I have paperwork in my hand proving it. So I guess there is no database as to which cars are fixed because I keep getting notices in the mail about needing to get the car fixed.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
There is a recall for the recall. At least on the drivers side. We had the recall done for the drivers side, but we're still waiting for the second recall on that one as well as the passenger side. As far as I know nothing had been made for the passenger side.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

mustanger

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just got a letter from Ford about the passenger side airbag recall. It says the remedy parts have been delayed are expected to be ready in the spring of 2018.

46addict

Reaction score
There is a recall for the recall. At least on the drivers side. We had the recall done for the drivers side, but we're still waiting for the second recall on that one as well as the passenger side. As far as I know nothing had been made for the passenger side.

Oh wow. I had no idea. That makes sense now. Thanks

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Got my letter from Ford yesterday about the passenger side airbag recall.. It's the same letter mustanger got about the remedy parts being delayed and won't be expected to be ready until spring of 2018.. The letter also says, Warning: Until remedy parts become available, do not allow anyone to sit in the front row passenger seat. The airbag inflator could rupture during deployment in a crash and cause injuries or death. When the front row passenger seat is not occupied, the passenger airbag will not deploy, eliminating the risk..

I suppose according to Ford that in the event of a crash, if a vehicle occupant happens to get either injured or killed resulting from an airbag rupture in the front passenger seat, Ford won't be considered liable if the owner of the vehicle was fully aware of the safety risks involved according to Ford's safety recall notification :shrug:

Well that's real nice to know, just look at how long it took Ford until remedy parts became available for the driver side airbags that were also affected by the Takata safety recall, as it took well over a year after the safety recall before Ford finally had the remedy parts available to replace my driver's side airbag.. WTF!

Last edited:

MADGT

forum member
Reaction score
Yup Spring 2018--got my letter today.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I got a recall for the airbags on my Ranger over the summer, called the Ford dealer and they don't even know when parts will be available for that one.

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
Got my passenger-side notice this past summer & a couple of reminders too. Called Ford b/c none of the local dealers have parts & they said to wait a bit for logistics to catch-up. I'm waiting until my dealer has both (driver & passenger) so it's only one repair visit.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What model years are your cars? I've already had the recall done on my 2011's driver-side airbag, but I haven't gotten the recall for the passenger-side one yet.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
What model years are your cars? I've already had the recall done on my 2011's driver-side airbag, but I haven't gotten the recall for the passenger-side one yet.
Ours in an 06. Before we had the driver side replaced we received the notice for the recall of the recall.

Red Baron

Reaction score
My car is a 2006 GT which has already had the drivers side airbag replaced by a Ford Dealer. The passenger side airbag also needs to be replaced however Takata is so far backlogged in trying to get replacement parts out to every car from every manufacturer that it will take more time than Ford anticipated.

According to Ford the replacement parts are going out to dealers in those areas of the country that have hot temperatures and high humidity as these are the conditions that have an adverse effect on the airbags. So it all depends on where you live.

After touching base with my dealer he just said that they have me in their system and as soon as they receive the parts they will notify me and other Mustang owners to set up an appointment to have the passenger side airbags replaced.

ChewyR

forum member
Reaction score
Mine is an 07. Does anyone know how to disable the passenger side airbag without disabling the whole system? I feel like the letter from Ford is a cop out; the Ford fix is probably a year out, if ever. It is un sellable with Ford's letter IMO.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Mine is an 07. Does anyone know how to disable the passenger side airbag without disabling the whole system? I feel like the letter from Ford is a cop out; the Ford fix is probably a year out, if ever. It is un sellable with Ford's letter IMO.
I'd like to know as well.. If anyone happens to know, chime in !

EBABlacknChrome

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

I got this in the mail two days ago about the recall on the recall. Glad I didn't waste my time dropping the car off for the first one. Also got the passengers side paper a while back didn't know the parts weren't available yet. Haven't drove it in almost a year so I can wait a few more months.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mustang Mike

Reaction score
I see where Honda is providing loaner cars during this period for certain customers. Since Ford is telling us we can not have front set passengers maybe we need loaners. Does anyone know how to disable this airbag. I think when no one is in it the unit is not working or when a small passenger under a certain weight is sitting there it is disabled. I think Ford needs to come up with a better solution than no passengers!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back