16s26 Passenger Side Airbag Inflator

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
I see where Honda is providing loaner cars during this period for certain customers. Since Ford is telling us we can not have front set passengers maybe we need loaners. Does anyone know how to disable this airbag. I think when no one is in it the unit is not working or when a small passenger under a certain weight is sitting there it is disabled. I think Ford needs to come up with a better solution than no passengers!
agreed

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have had both recalls for the drivers side done and I just received a letter about the pass side recall, stating that the parts wouldn't be available until spring of 2018. The letter also said not to let anyone in the pass seat until the recall is complied with. This is an obvious attempt to cover their asses for any pass side airbag accidents.

travelers

Reaction score
Interesting I have an 11 and the first recall done. I longed into ford to check for recalls on my vin and I don't have any. I'll have to try the dealer to see what there system has to say.

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
The airbag manufacturer, Takata, went bankrupt. The car manufacturers (Ford) will have to find a new supplier before parts are available.

You could have filed a claim as part of the bankruptcy lawsuit to get some money back due to the diminished value of your car with a lethal airbag in it.. Here's a link explaining it and another link to the lawsuit info. Unfortunately... The filing deadlines have passed.

https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2017/08/10/460736.htm

https://restructuring.primeclerk.com/takata/

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

ChewyR

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I filed a claim for 15 K, which is what I paid for the car. I don't have high expectations. I would hope we could figure out how to disable the passenger side airbag. It's a weight sensor, so my guess is a resistor across two wires, or a simple change in a parameter on the ecu programming.

ZGrand

forum member
Reaction score
Just a heads up -- check with your dealer. Mine had gotten a few of the passenger-side airbag replacements in and I had mine replaced this morning. In and out in about 50 minutes. Now I can finally feel safer with someone in the passenger seat.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
based on the environment surrounding auto parts production, the new airbags are probably as bad or worse as the original ones. Just make sure your suppliers have a patsy to send to prison when it all "blows up," and off you go.

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
The entity handling the paperwork processing "Prime Clerk" just sent out notices to all the people who filed claims without any justification documents that the respondent, Takata, is objecting to those claims and wants to pay ZERO unless we can prove loss or damage due to the defective inflators. I'd recommend that anyone wanting to continue with a claim of diminished value of their vehicle submit supporting documentation showing why the value of your car is decreased. I was lucky to have a previous appraisal of my vehicle, and just had to get a new one, and I asked for the difference in value as a part of my claim. Hopefully an appraiser can help anyone else out with a before and after valuation.

Meanwhile... I'm not putting my wife or kid in the passenger seat where they could be killed.

46addict

Reaction score
The entity handling the paperwork processing "Prime Clerk" just sent out notices to all the people who filed claims without any justification documents that the respondent, Takata, is objecting to those claims and wants to pay ZERO unless we can prove loss or damage due to the defective inflators.
Wouldn't the liability circle back to the owner anyway because we were given notices to get the recalls done? And how do you sue a bankrupt company? I am sure someone else will buy out Takata but wouldn't they be released from any responsibility?

Meanwhile... I'm not putting my wife or kid in the passenger seat where they could be killed.
I thought the injury occurs as the inflator ruptures in the event of airbag deployment. Are the inflators at risk of spontaneously combusting?

I called some more dealers in the area and there are now 2 out of 5 in a 30 mile radius that can do it. I'm going to give it another 4-6 weeks and see where they are on the PS inflators. If not I will at least get the DS done.

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
The inflators don't spontaneously burst... But in case of an accident I don't want them in that seat.

As for the liability... How can the consumer / owner fix the problem if there are no parts? It doesn't matter what notices were sent out... It can't be fixed (at least not in my area)

That leads me to diminished value. I now own a car that has an open safety recall, that I cannot fix. Knowing this, I would be negligent in allowing a passenger to ride in the front seat. I also now own a 3 seat vehicle... Hence.. Diminished value. Would you buy a car with an open safety recall? And if you would buy it... Wouldn't you demand to pay less for the risk you are taking?

Lastly, you are not suing a bankrupt company, you are joining the bankruptcy lawsuit as a creditor that is owed money by Takata. They are going bankrupt because of the money they have to pay creditors.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Mine is getting done next Tuesday. Dealer had ONE, and they are holding it for my car.

46addict

Reaction score
As for the liability... How can the consumer / owner fix the problem if there are no parts? It doesn't matter what notices were sent out... It can't be fixed (at least not in my area)

That leads me to diminished value. I now own a car that has an open safety recall, that I cannot fix. Knowing this, I would be negligent in allowing a passenger to ride in the front seat. I also now own a 3 seat vehicle... Hence.. Diminished value. Would you buy a car with an open safety recall? And if you would buy it... Wouldn't you demand to pay less for the risk you are taking?

Lastly, you are not suing a bankrupt company, you are joining the bankruptcy lawsuit as a creditor that is owed money by Takata. They are going bankrupt because of the money they have to pay creditors.

Points taken. So if you had to buy another car due to this problem, would that be enough to prove loss in the suit? Are you going through legal actions right now?

And regardless of how or why the company is going bankrupt, they will have no money to pay the settlement. So how are you expecting to be paid is what I'm asking.

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
I don't really expect to be paid... But I'm swinging for the fences. I believe there has already been set aside a determined amount of money to pay people who have incurred "loss". I believe that amount caused the company to file for bankruptcy. I'm just hoping to get a piece of the pie.

Also I don't believe Takata is going out of business. They keep using the term "restructuring" in the lawsuit.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
The only loss that would deserve any compensation are the people who had family killed or injured by the faulty part. Anything else, you are trying to get something for nothing. This whole country is so "sue-happy" it's ridiculous.

msvela448

forum member
Reaction score
I agree that our country is sue-happy, and I am against frivolous lawsuits.

I also agree that anyone who was physically harmed or killed by a defective inflator absolutely deserves more compensation.

But I don't agree that I should also take a loss on my vehicle because of defective parts. I worked hard to pay for it, and while depreciation is a fact of owning almost anything, this is not and was not something I should be responsible for.

I do not agree that this is an effort to "get something for nothing" . It is about being made whole, just compensate owners for the loss of value of their vehicle.

Why does a big corporation get to hide from financial responsibility, while people like me who took out a loan, and lived pay check to pay check for 5 years to pay it off... get to take it in the shorts. I feel like I'm standing up for myself by joining in a request for compensation. I'll leave it to the attorneys and judges to decide what amount is fair.

I'd be happy if my car was fixed for free... That's how much compensation I'm seeking... But so far I can't get the part where I live, and my dealership said they have no idea when they might get replacement parts. So it's up to Takata (and Ford really) as far as I'm concerned... Fix it, or compensate me.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
The story I got on the defective units is... they all use amonium nitrate as the explosive propulsion device. After sitting there for years on end, some of them will absorb some moisture. When the amonium nitrate absorbs a tiny bit of moisture, and the airbag does go off in an accident, it goes off with a helluva lot bigger bang than originally intended. One woman (who barely survived) had a chunk of metal 1 5/8" across, blown through one side of her neck. If it absorbs too much moisture, it won't fire at all. Dunno what the replacements look like, but I suspect they have better protection against high humidity environments and moisture ingress.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back