2013 gt500 6 piston brembos

Cobra Drifter

Carbon Driven™
Reaction score
So what would I need to order to do an upgrade on my shelbys front brembos? Do I just need calipers or more?

Whats up with the rear? The 13's should bolt on right but the lateral movement creates the problems?

RI_2011_GT

forum member
Reaction score
I think you can bolt the 6 pistons right on, but why not upgrade to a 15 inch rotor also. The rear has a 13 inch rotor and much bigger single piston.

Cobra Drifter

Carbon Driven™
Reaction score
15" is in the works already but I really dont want just front brakes upgraded. I want all 4. No one is stating much about the rear 13 brakes

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
So what would I need to order to do an upgrade on my shelbys front brembos? Do I just need calipers or more?

Whats up with the rear? The 13's should bolt on right but the lateral movement creates the problems?
For the front you'll need the calipers, pads, pad hardware, and the rotors. You have to use the 15" rotors with these new calipers.

For the rear, you'll need the calipers, pads, caliper mounting brackets, and rotors. To install the caliper brackets, you'll have to remove each axle shaft first. Not a super easy job. The rear calipers are still single piston calipers similar to all the 94-2012 Mustangs have been. They're not Brembos on the rear.

I think you can bolt the 6 pistons right on, but why not upgrade to a 15 inch rotor also. The rear has a 13 inch rotor and much bigger single piston.
Front calipers and rotors must be used together.

15" is in the works already but I really dont want just front brakes upgraded. I want all 4. No one is stating much about the rear 13 brakes
Because the rear brakes aren't all that different. larger rotors are about all you're gaining.

Any update???? I heard pads are off back order on 9/27/12?
That's what I'm showing, but I think the pads I have ordered have already been shipped. I should see them in the next day or two I'm hoping.

Cobra Drifter

Carbon Driven™
Reaction score
Thanks for he update!

So I take it they dont come in other colors?

The rears are about he same then why upgrade it? Anyone got a picture of the 13 rear calipers?

BHD

forum member
Reaction score
Will the 15'Brembo 6pot fit my wheels, 20x9 F14's with 35+ offset. I stay in Dubai so where should I order them from, Tousley Ford? I didn't find them on AM

sadil

Reaction score
How many people are running this setup?

19COBRA93, any luck with the rotors? Which rotors are you going with? Can we use other 15" rotors?

Thanks

07s281sc

Reaction score
Bought the calipers, are there any 2 piece 15" rotors available? I would imagine the weight savings would be significant. How about brake biasing issues? Is the master cylinder on the 2013 gt500 the same as the 05-13 mustangs?

Any other wheel updates other than the ones already mentioned that will clear these brakes?

Last edited:

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Bought the calipers, are there any 2 piece 15" rotors available? I would imagine the weight savings would be significant. How about brake biasing issues? Is the master cylinder on the 2013 gt500 the same as the 05-13 mustangs?

Any other wheel updates other than the ones already mentioned that will clear these brakes?

Ford Racing will be offering a two piece rotor for these brakes. They should hit the website any day now. That should shed well over 10lbs per corner. The 05-12 master/booster will work fine for any street use and most/some track events.

Any 19" or bigger wheel that fits an 07-12 GT500 will clear these brakes.

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score
Ford Racing will be offering a two piece rotor for these brakes. They should hit the website any day now. That should shed well over 10lbs per corner. The 05-12 master/booster will work fine for any street use and most/some track events.

Any 19" or bigger wheel that fits an 07-12 GT500 will clear these brakes.

So 18s are out? I'd probably pony up the extra cash for the Willwood kit then so I don't have to run heavier wheels with a worse (and more expensive) tire selection.

fun4me

forum member
Reaction score
Will these work w/ stock gt brembo wheels? What about 18" custom offset forgeline wheels that fit a 12 shelby?

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score
Will these work w/ stock gt brembo wheels? What about 18" custom offset forgeline wheels that fit a 12 shelby?

The GT Brembo wheels don't seem to have all that much clearance. I seem to recall they BARELY clear the 4-pot calipers that come with them.

03machme

forum member
Reaction score
so has anyone done this and completed it yet? pics? what are all the parts needed? would you do it again?

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
So 18s are out? I'd probably pony up the extra cash for the Willwood kit then so I don't have to run heavier wheels with a worse (and more expensive) tire selection.

There might be a couple 18's that work, but the only one I know of is the Team Dynamics 18x9 and 18x10. I've personally trial fitted these and they clear. I don't know of any other 18's that will fit. Most will not.

Yes these will absolutely clear the 19" "Brembo" GT wheels. I have personally trial fitted them.

so has anyone done this and completed it yet? pics? what are all the parts needed? would you do it again?

The only parts needed are the calipers, pads, pad hardware, rotors, and new lines. That's it. It's almost no different than the 14" GT500 Brembo swap everyone has done for years.

07s281sc

Reaction score

FR500GT

forum member
Reaction score
There might be a couple 18's that work, but the only one I know of is the Team Dynamics 18x9 and 18x10. I've personally trial fitted these and they clear. I don't know of any other 18's that will fit. Most will not.

Yes these will absolutely clear the 19" "Brembo" GT wheels. I have personally trial fitted.

Are you still running these on your car? I haven't seen them in any pics

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score
Calipers just arrived, holy mackeral these things are massive! 13lbs each - pads and hardware on my bathroom.scale. Now I need to find a replacement for my heavy 20" Saleen wagon wheels. Thoughts on the TSW Nurburings,they are 20 forged and have a 40mm offset, think they would clear?

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...e.do?pc=65873&tmn=Nurburgring&typ=Car/Minivan

Are you replacing stock GT brakes or 4 piston Brembos with these? Could you get a before and after pic either way so we could all get a good feel for the size?

Also ... if you're replacing 4 piston Brembos, shoot me a PM if you want to sell them.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back