Another MT-82 goes bust at 4k miles

COYO TT

Stangless
Reaction score
So I was taking another forum member for a drive this evening, lay into it a bit, wont go into third gear without grinding hard. I then lay off go into fourth......then guess what...NO FIFTH. It will go into 5th, but as soon as I release the clutch it grinds and kicks it out. WTF at 4k miles, I have not even had the car to the track yet and all the miles are highway.

Is it a syncro issue?

So whats the deal now, if I remember correctly another member had this problem. Did they replace the tranny or "fix it"? I am assuming they will have the car atleast 2-3 weeks right?

Should I take off the intake before going to the dealer? Also should i take off the driveshaft since this is a drivetrain related mod?

atistang

forum member
Reaction score
if it were me i'd take off the tri-axe before you take it in, and yes i would say they will have it for a few weeks

also you might try adjusting your stops on the triaxe if it has them, if they are not adjusted correctly then they might be keeping the ring from fully engaging

COYO TT

Stangless
Reaction score
if it were me i'd take off the tri-axe before you take it in, and yes i would say they will have it for a few weeks

also you might try adjusting your stops on the triaxe if it has them, if they are not adjusted correctly then they might be keeping the ring from fully engaging

I hadnt even put the tri-ax in yet lol.......its sitting in the garage with the procharger

Thereaper

forum member
Reaction score
I love a manual 6 speed but I'm glad I bought an automatic. Return it to stock and take it to the Dealer.

Last edited:

dalemllns

SLOMOD
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It depends on the dealer whos doing the work really, I had my trans replaced and my car had frpp intake heads and cams throttle body and headers o.r xpipe the works and they did it under warranty....so its really a service manager call, but I dont see a drive shaft causeing the problem or an intake.....they will fix it Im sure...

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
Take the parts off.. trust me.. If Ford sends a rep down to look at the car, they will can your warranty if you have any mods (or they'll try to, anyway).

Good luck man.. I know how you feel. My shit was down for a month, and I had to beat them over the head to get it done. Mine was just making a whining noise, though.. It didn't actually fail. However, it scares me to think of what could happen with this gearbox in the future.

I think that these problems are QC related. This thing is put together in China, and I'd be willing to bet that they're skimping on measuring critical clearances and/or having someone go behind them to check the quality of the assembly from time to time. Same shit happened with Nissan, when they started making parts in Mexico. Quality has suffered big time.

No offense to anyone of those nationalities.. it's not that the people there aren't capable. The system is just more lax than what you would have here.

COYO TT

Stangless
Reaction score
Thanks trav and I def agree on the QC point.

Does it sound like a syncro issue if it is actually kicking out of 5th and grinding when the cluth is almost released?

JDM74

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks trav and I def agree on the QC point.

Does it sound like a syncro issue if it is actually kicking out of 5th and grinding when the cluth is almost released?

That sounds like a bent shift fork to me, not a syncro issue. Syncros get it into gear, not keep it there.

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
I was one with this issue. They replaced my tranny do to me and said it was easier also cause the parts for the tranny are harder to get then a new tranny. They said that a synchro did go out. Mine did same thing as yours as well. Would kick out and would only go in with some nasty grinding. Mine did finally start going in fifth and staying in it but still with nasty grinding. Mine would grind sitting still trying to go into fifth.

My dealer was cool with mods i had. Servcie manager has a gt500 that has work and agreed with minor stuff i have done shouldnt have went out already. If you can take back to stock though to avoid any issues.

COYO TT

Stangless
Reaction score
I was one with this issue. They replaced my tranny do to me and said it was easier also cause the parts for the tranny are harder to get then a new tranny. They said that a synchro did go out. Mine did same thing as yours as well. Would kick out and would only go in with some nasty grinding. Mine did finally start going in fifth and staying in it but still with nasty grinding. Mine would grind sitting still trying to go into fifth.

My dealer was cool with mods i had. Servcie manager has a gt500 that has work and agreed with minor stuff i have done shouldnt have went out already. If you can take back to stock though to avoid any issues.

How long did it take them to replace the trans?

Have you had any problems with the new one?

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
How long did it take them to replace the trans?

Have you had any problems with the new one?

About 3 days to get tranny...1 day for them to replace it. I only got to drive it for 3 days then i deployed to Iraq. But in that 3 days I gave it hell and no issues.

Blownblu03

forum member
Reaction score
I am so nervous about these dam trannys, I have not received my 2012 yet and I am scared to give the gears a good row because it seems these M82’s SUCK! As far as mods, I see the only one hard to return to stock is LT’s with X-pipes. I guess that cant cause a tranny failure so they let it go???

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
I am so nervous about these dam trannys, I have not received my 2012 yet and I am scared to give the gears a good row because it seems these M82’s SUCK! As far as mods, I see the only one hard to return to stock is LT’s with X-pipes. I guess that cant cause a tranny failure so they let it go???
Really it all depends on your dealer. If they are asses and dont keep up with issues going on they will try say the extra power from LTs and stuff caused issue.

I made sure to have proof of all issues people having with ^M cars incase they gave issues with mods. But they didnt.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Sorry this had to happen with me in the car. I can say one thing though, that car really moves out after you get it in gear ;-)

Blownblu03

forum member
Reaction score
your car went 11.88 those little mods, I guess these cars are really fast when the tranny works LOL

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
your car went 11.88 those little mods, I guess these cars are really fast when the tranny works LOL
Ya when tranny works..lol..notice my trap is only 106..all night long was 115-117..But couldnt get it to hook..Finally I found my sweet spot and started cutting 1.6 60fts and found out had no 5th..First run i ran a 11.97@112 and thought i just missed 5th..Next pass was 11.88 and still no 5th..after that is when figured out 5th was gone..never got to go to track after new tranny was put in.

RSKtakR

Reaction score
Jesus F'n christ.. mine is now doing the EXACT samething as of this weekend, started grinding going into 5th , mainly on the downshift, and sometimes on the up shift, as well as popping out of gear.. now it grinds like CRAZY on the upshift and the down shift all the time, and has started grinding going into 6th, so now im just shifting from 4th to 6th.. this car is my daily driver and im sure all that shit floating around in the trans fluid isnt good on ANY other parts in the trans as well..I have allready had the entire clutch assembly replaced, the master and slave cylinder, and the pedal assembly at 6700 miles.. car now has 14k miles on it. .. car goes in the 29th of this month, allready called Ford customer care and got a case number, before I even made the appointment at the dealership. Im SO fing tired of this crap.. i really dont want an automatic at all.. but i fear that this shit is just going to keep happening over and over again. wtf..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back