Any appliance repair folks? dryer specific...

fst06stg

The Conservative
Reaction score
got a PF "power failure" code on our Whirlpool Cabrio dryer the other day. this basically shut the whole thing down. the digital display will register, but the dryer itself will not cycle. did some research and the most likely possibility was a $35 thermistor, which i replaced today. still to no avail. the power cord is a 3 prong, which i checked and is fine. i should also mention that i checked for blockage in the vents and its clear. any advice or opinions is appreciated.​

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A PF code just means that you had a power failure. Meaning the power turned off and back on to the dryer. All you have to do is restart the cycle. Press and hold the Start button. Press pause/cancel to clear the display.

Last edited:

fst06stg

The Conservative
Reaction score
A PF code just means that you had a power failure. Meaning the power turned off and back on to the dryer. All you have to do is restart the cycle.

thats what i read too. but in my case, restarting the cycle did no good. ive turned the dryer off and back on, tried other cycles and even unplugged it and plugged it back in. ive flipped the breaker off and back on also. so basically ive reset the dryer many times but none of that works. theres more to this one man.

fst06stg

The Conservative
Reaction score
nope, PF is the only one that shows. what i think is odd, is the fact that when i start another cycle like you stated, the display registers like another cycle is starting, but the tumbler wont rotate. when i start the cycle, the dryer counts down, but it does nothing mechanically.

fst06stg

The Conservative
Reaction score
the manual says nothing about clearing the code besides restarting the cycle.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Press the pause/cancel button to clear the display. Then press and hold the start button to reset the dryer.

fst06stg

The Conservative
Reaction score
yea, i do that and it shows the time remaining for the corresponding cycle. then when i try to start it, nothing happens mechanically.

fst06stg

The Conservative
Reaction score
Stupid question but is the dryer door closed?

lol yes. i even tested the little lever the door hits to register that its closed. and indeed, the lever is being actuated. thus, i dont think thats my problem either. when i press the lever like the door would, the light goes out in the dryer. the repair guy wants 65 bucks to even come out, so im trying to nail this one down myself.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I dont know then. Are you pressing the start button and holding it? Check out this pdf file.

Last edited:

one.wicked.stang

Grudge Race?
Reaction score
does it have a belt? broken? can you hear a motor running as the count down goes down?

nv4gt ws

RedShift
Reaction score
wed5600xw0
checked the incoming power with it plugged in under a load, make sure you have correct voltage on all legs. if voltage is correct ,then you have a bad control board. if voltage is not correct, incoming elect supply problem.

fst06stg

The Conservative
Reaction score
ive taken it apart now. no broken belts or such. the unit clicks when i press the start button. there is a relay under the top cover that im thinking may be bad. all voltage up to that point is fine.

nv4gt ws

RedShift
Reaction score
ive taken it apart now. no broken belts or such. the unit clicks when i press the start button. there is a relay under the top cover that im thinking may be bad. all voltage up to that point is fine.
if you have correct incoming voltage and to control board, then you have a bad board. you still have pf on display?

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back