Any readers?

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I used to read a lot, the kids take up most of my reading time now. I am looking for a good one, though.
Well, I'm into mysteries, thrillers, conspiracies, etc.

Favorite authors include:
  • Lee Child (thriller/mystery)
  • Vince Flynn (counter-terrorism, political thriller)
  • Brad Thor (counter-terrorism, political thriller)
  • David Baldacci (conspiracy, political thriller)
  • Richard Montanari (writes mysteries, setting of Philadelphia)
  • Nelson DeMille (thriller, mystery - read Night Fall...that book really sticks with you)
Those guys are at the top of my list...there are many others, too.

I don't know if this link will work for you, but this is a list of the books I've read. http://apps.facebook.com/ireadit/redirect.php?next=view%2FmyReads.php%3Fuid%3D8216601&src=profile

matt texass

Reaction score
- For School
A bunch of textbooks.
- For Fun
Just finished The Art of War.
Favorite book is Atlas Shrugged.

Haze28

forum member
Reaction score
I used to read alot, upwards of about 30 books a year. Now I am lucky to read about 2 or 3 a year. I'm a big fan of Michael Crichton, Matthew Reilly, Stephen King, Dan Brown, and I read alot of various pokr books.

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ya and they cost a shit ton. Maby I should use Amazon instead of the bookstore.......
Public libraries are nice.

Regarding Ayn Rand...I should really expand my horizons. I enjoy reading novels, but I guess books like Atlas Shrugged and Sun Tsu's Art of War are required reading material for everyone.

Anyone read Vonnegut?

matt texass

Reaction score
Eh I tried the public library thing ( and the "online free books") and they didn't have most of my required reading for alot of my courses.

matt texass

Reaction score
Kurt is a great author. I actually just wrote a paper on him.
Slaughterhouse-5 and Breakfast of Champions are good. His short stories are interesting aswell.

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Eh I tried the public library thing ( and the "online free books") and they didn't have most of my required reading for alot of my courses.
Oh, you're talking textbooks. Yeah, that's true. Gotta love how these asshole publishers put out "new" editions every year...the only difference is they switch chapters 4 and 8 and word a couple questions differently, and bam...you gotta spend more money to get the "new" edition. What a fucking scam they run. I always check eBay and Craigslist if I can before buying from a bookstore.

C-Liz-Go

Resident Realtor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I used to read books too. Patricia Cornwell, James Patterson were my faves. Now, who has time to read???

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I read constangly, upwards of 2-3 books a month, which is way down from my college days.

I just picked up the modern version of Dante's Inferno written and reinterpreted by Niven and Pournelle, which I last read back in the 70s. Not sure why I thought of it recently but it was just reissued. At the same time I got Phillip Jose Farmer's "To Your Scattered Bodies Go", a 5 book series.

Both books are about modern interpretations of Hell/afterlife. Maybe at 51 I'm getting a sense of mortality...

John

Pumpkinfish

Johnny Quarter Mile
Reaction score
One of the best series I ever read was Frank Herbert's Dune Saga. They were a little difficult at times, but worth the read. His son is horrible at continuing the series and should be shot for trying to glom on to his Dad's legacy!

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
One of the best series I ever read was Frank Herbert's Dune Saga. They were a little difficult at times, but worth the read. His son is horrible at continuing the series and should be shot for trying to glom on to his Dad's legacy!

+1 to Dune. I have the first two in the series in the first release paperback, and have been picking up the other 3 when I think about them. I'll do a reread, then start on some of his son's work, despite the poor reviews (I have Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune, so far). I loved the miniseries, and have that on DVD and watch it once a year or so. The original movie was shit.

John

MTAS

Flesh is the Law
Reaction score
I read Star Trek books (TNG, Lost Era type stuff) and recently started reading the autobiographies of Apollo Astronauts. I've completed Neil Armstrong, Gene Cernan and Pete Conrad. Next I'm looking for Alan Bean's if he wrote one.

JimmyD

forum member
Reaction score
I've recently read all three of ex-CIA Mr.Michael Scheuer's books.

Here's a "must read" I highly recommend: "Heart of a Soldier" by James B. Stewart. Awesome book about an extaordinary man, Rick Rescorla. He led an exceptional life, and gave it up saving others on 9/11 A true hero.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back