Are the internals on the GT500 motor forged?

Hysteria

0 .· ` ' / ·. 30 psi
Reaction score
The rods are cracked powder stuff which are actually the weakest link in the entire engine assembly. Ask anyone who's blown a GT500 motor what went and I bet they say the rods. The stock rods just below the wrist pin are about the size of a sugar cube. Our 08' snapped one and bent a few others before it put a nice sky light in the side of the block.
Carnage004.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

Typically that happens with too much boost and revving the motor too high in the rpm range. We feel very comfortable telling customers that they can support 700-725rwhp without any issues so long as they run good fuel and keep the rpm's under 6500. After the 725rwhp range or if you intend on revving it higher it's all up in the air. Yes we've seen people make 800+rwhp without failure however at that point it's like rolling dice.

I'd say if you want to make anything over 725rwhp and drive the car hard your best bet is a new set of rods at minimum. Pistons are a great idea to do at the same time as well.

Jared

This has been a question I've wanted answered for the longest. My main concern was because I didn't understand how an '03-'04 Cobra could make 800 RWHP on it's internals, but the limit on the GT500's 5.4 was about 725.

Thank You!!

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I always thought the GT500 had basically the same shortblock as the Lightnings. That would be a great crank, sub par rods, and cheap/weak forged pistons. Looks the same anyway.

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The rods are cracked powder stuff which are actually the weakest link in the entire engine assembly. Ask anyone who's blown a GT500 motor what went and I bet they say the rods. The stock rods just below the wrist pin are about the size of a sugar cube. Our 08' snapped one and bent a few others before it put a nice sky light in the side of the block.

Typically that happens with too much boost and revving the motor too high in the rpm range. We feel very comfortable telling customers that they can support 700-725rwhp without any issues so long as they run good fuel and keep the rpm's under 6500. After the 725rwhp range or if you intend on revving it higher it's all up in the air. Yes we've seen people make 800+rwhp without failure however at that point it's like rolling dice.

I'd say if you want to make anything over 725rwhp and drive the car hard your best bet is a new set of rods at minimum. Pistons are a great idea to do at the same time as well.

Jared

Jared: Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge.

IF I do any mods to that '10, I'm not looking at going beyond ~600 rwhp (pulley, tensioner, headers/exhaust & tune). Your response gives me comfort with what I've contempleted for mods.

Anybody else want to chime in with "forged rods" or "how do you know"?

Good stuff SD, thanks for sharing your knowledge as well.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah well....I've only got two of them on engine stands in the shop. I just don't advertise it like DaSilva.

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This has been a question I've wanted answered for the longest. My main concern was because I didn't understand how an '03-'04 Cobra could make 800 RWHP on it's internals, but the limit on the GT500's 5.4 was about 725.

Thank You!!
Didn't the Terminators have a forged rotating assembly?

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think the '03-'04 Cobra IS a Terminator...and the forged internals is why they can withstand such a high output.
They are indeed...it's just easier to type 'Terminator' than to type the numbers. :beer:

me32

forum member
Reaction score

Thank You!!

one problem with your statement the stock internals are not as good as the GT500's. in fact the 03-04 cobras are pretty much done at 600HP on stock block internals. just ask 90 percent of the guys that had there engines rebuilt.

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
one problem with your statement the stock internals are not as good as the GT500's. in fact the 03-04 cobras are pretty much done at 600HP on stock block internals. just ask 90 percent of the guys that had there engines rebuilt.
Ya sure about that? I believe they had Manley forged rods along with a forged crank and pistons...

Last edited:

US-1

Banned
Reaction score

Oh goodie....more stupid people.

andrewrj

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Anybody else want to chime in with "forged rods" or "how do you know"?

Not that these guys dont know what they are talking about but the ford brochure from fords own website that I posted up specifically states forged rods. Not sure how Ford could claim that if it was not true.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Despite the evidence to the contrary you go ahead and believe whatever you like. The Earth used to be flat too.

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Jared, I thought the rods were bigger then that! I just got a GT500 long block and plan on 700hp or so. Good to know

carbd86gt

Lethal Performance
Reaction score
The GT500 rods are "forged", but they are not forged like an aftermarket performance rod, making them weaker. I don't like calling them forged, but they technically are. The crank is also forged, I believe Kellogg makes the factory 8 bolt cranks for Ford (96-04 Cobra, 99-04 Lightning and 07-2010 GT500). The 03-04 Cobra DOES use a complete forged rotating assembly (Thanks Coletti!) with the crank by Kellogg, rods made by Manley using ARP bolts and the pistons made by Mahle.

Hope that helps!

5.0Shocker

Resident Bomb Tech
Reaction score
The GT500 rods are "forged", but they are not forged like an aftermarket performance rod, making them weaker. I don't like calling them forged, but they technically are. The crank is also forged, I believe Kellogg makes the factory 8 bolt cranks for Ford (96-04 Cobra, 99-04 Lightning and 07-2010 GT500). The 03-04 Cobra DOES use a complete forged rotating assembly (Thanks Coletti!) with the crank by Kellogg, rods made by Manley using ARP bolts and the pistons made by Mahle.

Hope that helps!
Well the rotary Rods are forged that is. J/J LOL. Thanks

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back