Autometer Nexus Gauges datalogging - Computer programmers: please chime in!

G.T

Reaction score
i've basically given up on Autometer co-operating and either fixing their Nexus N1 software, or supporting me in understanding the datalog format used by their gauges so i can write something that could decode and read the log files made by my $1,500 set of gauges :deadhorse:

basically anyone using Nexus gauges probably knows that adding a wideband AFR breaks the datalog viewer as it doesn't recognize the file format with the added sensor reading (not to mention the viewer itself doesn't quite work reliably on anything newer than Windows XP)

i've contacted autometer for a couple years now, once every 2-3 months, hoping they'd send me any information on how the datalog files are constructed, but to no avail.

bottom line is.. i need help making sense of the logfile structure so i could perhaps put together a web app that can decode it, and possibly even graph it, etc.

a sample file (recorded a while ago with my AFR, Boost/Vac, Water Temp, and Fuel Pressure gauges) can be downloaded here

i think soon i'll be disconnecting all the gauges but the water temp and log only that first then go from there.

p.s: this isn't quite mustang chit chat, but also isn't quite the pitstop material.. so mods please accept my apologies if you feel otherwise and feel free to move this thread where you see fits :)

G.T

Reaction score
Boobies!!

... now that i got your attention, is anybody interested in the subject or helping out? :)

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
G.T, I'm interested in helping you, I just need to be told how. That data file is obviously encrypted or encoded in some proprietary manner. I suggest posting something similar in a forum that is dedicated to such things.

If you have familiarity with linux, we should look into "dump". It will take binary files and look for some correlation between known values.

Last edited:

Solar_Eclipse2

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not a programmer by trade so I can't offer you help on that front but I do work in IT and my job is at it's most basic form, solving other peoples problems.

My question to you is have you tried exploring other forums and reaching out to others that have the NEXUS gauges to see their experiences? At this point I would be scouring the internet to find others that have successfully data logged the NEXUS gauges with the AF gauge to see if this is isolated or wide spread.

I would check out this thread on a 350z forum and talk to some of the contributors in that thread. It seems like they at least have some clue what's up with these gauges (though not specifically your issue) or they might have some connections at Autometer.

http://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/251122-autometer-nexus-gauge-owners-3.html

PS, Can I see some pics of your gauges installed?

Last edited:

G.T

Reaction score
bigray327: i'm quite familiar with Linux actually (been using it both at home and for work close to 12 years now)
i've spent hours messing about with the hexdumps of the log file, still to make any progress though

Solar_Eclipse2: The issue was acknowledged by Autometer! they said that they stopped development on the Nexus Facts software before the AFR Gauge in the Nexus series was introduced, and they have no plans on doing anything about it, which is why i'm trying to do this the hard way :(

as for my gauges, the boost/vac, fuel pressure and water temp are installed in a Speed of Sound A-Pillar triple gauge pod.. the AFR gauge is installed between the AC vents in the middle of my dash (custom fit)

i don't have a photo of my AFR gauge now, but the rest of them can be seen here: http://www.speedofsoundllc.com/S_197 ProductGallery/fullimages/DSC01095_f.jpg

you can also see the whole set up in action in this ancient video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYFo7XPpdgc
(had a bad clutch and engine mounts, car was almost impossible to shift any faster, in case you're wondering :))

Solar_Eclipse2

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the additional background information on the situation. I'm really shocked that Autometer dropped the ball on this.

Still I think my prior suggestion of reaching out to some other tuners or Nexus users is a good one. Any other information anyone else could provide would help.

I think the important keys here are to figure out what format the data log is in.

G.T

Reaction score
a little more background info

i initially reported to Autometer that their software is unable to read datalogs recorded by a Nexus controller that has an AFR Gauge connected, this was back on Tue, 18 Sep 2007.. and i followed up every now and then till i gave up a few months back (Yes.. 3 years!)
following are the responses:

Thu, 20 Sep 2007: "The problem you are having is do to a compatibility problem with the introduction of the version 4 firmware update to add the wideband gauge to your current Nexus system. Our software engineer is working on a fix for this problem so as soon as we get the patch I will email it you."

Tue, 09 Oct 2007: "As far as your software issues our engineering department is still working it out."

Mon, 12 Nov 2007: "Our software engineer is still working on the software problems."

Fri, 01 Feb 2008 "I just checked with our engineering manager and he stated that the company that designed the software is working on the update and as soon as He gets word that is ready he'll let me know. Lastly I asked if he had a date of completion and he said not at this time. So as soon as I get word I'll email you first thing."

Mon, 16 Jun 2008 "The Nexus software is being work on as we speak. We should have a update soon. I'm going to meet they the software this week and I will get an update and possible a delivery date. The big delay has been the addition of the 12 channel module, This unit is not compatible with the software and that has been the biggest problem. But once the software is complete it will be compatible with the 12-channel unit, compatible with the new gauges and latest compatible with Windows Vista."

Wed, 10 Sep 2008 "The biggest problem in getting the new software update is politics. See we had to sub-contract out the software rework so it has taken a lot of time to get the ball rolling. I was told some time soon but no date of completion at this time."

Thu, 27 May 2010 "Unfortunately, there are no current plans to update the Nexus Software to allow compatibiity with more recent gauges, like the wideband, speedometer, fuel level, voltmeter, etc.

i then asked if they'd be willing to release the current datalog format.. and i'm yet to hear back

G.T

Reaction score
so i thought tonight is the night i start trying to get to the bottom of this, by recording a simple log with only one gauge (like water temp) and examine the file

then after i took out some panels i remembered the way the damn AFR gauge hooks up on the nexus series.. it's the first in line (and it's in the middle of my cluster, while the rest of the gauges are in the a-pillar) meaning i need to take out all my gauges and rewire them for this to work :(

does anybody here have a simpler setup with no AFR? something where you can unplug the extra sensors and record a test log for me?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back