Bamcustom tuning/American Muscle

AMDanBailer

AmericanMuscle.com
Official Vendor
Reaction score
To clarify, this is a partnership. Doug works for AmericanMuscle as a part of the Bama Custom Tuning Division, and he's contracted to tune exclusively for AmericanMuscle. He didn't relocate to PA, the arrangement is that for the majority of the month Doug works remotely, but also regularly tunes on location at the AmericanMuscle facility ('Bama & Philly aren't too close, you know). He works closely with Mike Wilson (who is no slouch himself, having worked on tuning Shelby Super Snakes off the production line) and the team to write our value files for custom tunes as new parts come out. Doug's focus is helping to create and test solid core files for our customers, as well as work on individual higher level tunes with Mike.

Bama Custom Tuning at AmericanMuscle is not Bamachips. We're still supporting Doug's old customers, but the new BCTAM is a different entity that combines the best of both companies. We provide award-winning customer service, and Doug and Mike both bring impressive technical talent to the table. It's a pretty simple arrangement, but if you have questions or concerns, you can feel free to call us at 888-226-9764 or email me at [email protected]. I'll respond as quickly as possible, and I'm always happy to help.

To answer a couple of other questions I've seen, if you get an email from [email protected], that's our tuner division. SCT is the prefix we have been using since our tuning department started, and we didn't want to confuse people still further by changing it.

We are going to support Doug's old tunes, which means that if you're having a problem with a tune, we'll work with you for it. We're not continuing Doug's program of free tunes for life for customers who bought a tune file from him once, but we will make small adjustments for free. However, if you make an adjustment that requires a new tune, there is a $50 charge. The best way to determine whether we can adjust your tune for free is to give us a call, as we consider each case individually.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
...as well as work on individual higher level tunes with Mike...

This is a crock of shit. I sent a message asking to hire Doug and schedule a tuning session on-site with Doug for my build (which is as extreme as it gets while NA) and was turned down. The message said your shop is not setup for in-house tuning.

Well, my problem is this... what dyno is in the video? Why can't you use that dyno so Doug can tune my car. How are you going to tune highly modded cars like mine without seeing it. It can't be done.

I was excited at first... but it sounds more and more like a hustle to me. Just leveraging a known name to make more money. Unless I get a call from Doug telling me otherwise, I have no reason to believe anything else.

Doug, I know you are reading this if AM is replying... what happen man? I thought you and I were friends bro.

Last edited:

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
To clarify, this is a partnership. Doug works for AmericanMuscle as a part of the Bama Custom Tuning Division, and he's contracted to tune exclusively for AmericanMuscle. He didn't relocate to PA, the arrangement is that for the majority of the month Doug works remotely, but also regularly tunes on location at the AmericanMuscle facility ('Bama & Philly aren't too close, you know). He works closely with Mike Wilson (who is no slouch himself, having worked on tuning Shelby Super Snakes off the production line) and the team to write our value files for custom tunes as new parts come out. Doug's focus is helping to create and test solid core files for our customers, as well as work on individual higher level tunes with Mike.

Bama Custom Tuning at AmericanMuscle is not Bamachips. We're still supporting Doug's old customers, but the new BCTAM is a different entity that combines the best of both companies. We provide award-winning customer service, and Doug and Mike both bring impressive technical talent to the table. It's a pretty simple arrangement, but if you have questions or concerns, you can feel free to call us at 888-226-9764 or email me at [email protected]. I'll respond as quickly as possible, and I'm always happy to help.

To answer a couple of other questions I've seen, if you get an email from [email protected], that's our tuner division. SCT is the prefix we have been using since our tuning department started, and we didn't want to confuse people still further by changing it.

We are going to support Doug's old tunes, which means that if you're having a problem with a tune, we'll work with you for it. We're not continuing Doug's program of free tunes for life for customers who bought a tune file from him once, but we will make small adjustments for free. However, if you make an adjustment that requires a new tune, there is a $50 charge. The best way to determine whether we can adjust your tune for free is to give us a call, as we consider each case individually.

This is very interesting as many have tried calling and talking with Doug and he is not at A/M.

I also understand that he is now a Tech at a Ford Dealership in Alabama.

I cannot imagine why so many different people are saying these things with the Truth from you being the exact opposite.

AMDanBailer

AmericanMuscle.com
Official Vendor
Reaction score
This is a crock of shit. I sent a message asking to hire Doug and schedule a tuning session on-site with Doug for my build (which is as extreme as it gets while NA) and was turned down. The message said your shop is not setup for in-house tuning.

Well, my problem is this... what dyno is in the video? Why can't you use that dyno so Doug can tune my car. How are you going to tune highly modded cars like mine without seeing it. It can't be done.

I was excited at first... but it sounds more and more like a hustle to me. Just leveraging a known name to make more money. Unless I get a call from Doug telling me otherwise, I have no reason to believe anything else.

Doug, I know you are reading this if AM is replying... what happen man? I thought you and I were friends bro.

To put it politely, it's not a crock of anything. We didn't say that we're prepared to start doing on-site dyno work yet. That's something that may happen in the future, but we're pretty busy with mail-order tunes for the moment. The majority of Doug's business, and all of ours, has always been mail-order tunes. We're being up-front about our tuning capabilities, and if you have any questions about what we can or can't tune for, you can refer to the list below or contact us.

If you'd like to come out and meet our team and check out the dyno, you're more than welcome to. Our tuners are great guys, and they're a lot of fun to talk to. :beerchug2:

image_XL.png

Last edited:

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
To put it politely, it's not a crock of anything. We didn't say that we're prepared to start doing on-site dyno work yet. That's something that may happen in the future, but we're pretty busy with mail-order tunes for the moment. The majority of Doug's business, and all of ours, has always been mail-order tunes. We're being up-front about our tuning capabilities, and if you have any questions about what we can or can't tune for, you can refer to the list below or contact us.

If you'd like to come out and meet our team and check out the dyno, you're more than welcome to. Our tuners are great guys, and they're a lot of fun to talk to. :beerchug2:

image_XL.png

Well according to the video clip on your advertisement you are ready to tune and even show a car on the dyno. Not that I believe anything you guys say. You jump into the S197forum community (which is a pretty tight nit group), then say Doug is allied with you, yet you won't honor tune files purchased from Bama Chips. Well thats bullshit my friend. you buy the company then you honor the products past and present......I smell bullshit. I really feel ripped off.....as I am sure do the other thousands that bout only tune files.....and you really expect our business..........LMAO right

not bailing on Doug (cause dougs not there) but glad i went with another repitable tuner.........

Last edited:

tillman speed

Reaction score
The car that's in the video is one of American Muscle's S197's. They did purchase Doug's intellectual data and they're saying Doug's going to work remotely (most of the time). Mike and Doug together will be a great addition. I'm sure that the datalogging capabilities and remote tuning capabilities are going to be great. I'm sure more will develop out of that whole deal.

I am glad Doug is back on his feet, and I hope everything gets all squared away with his pre-existing customers.

There's no reason not to trust American Muscle. They've been around for almost 10 years now, and have given nothing short of amazing customer service. Give them some time, and I'm sure things will develop. Look at myself and Brenspeed, we don't update your tune files unless the parts are purchased from us. What are we talking about here, $50? I understand it's the principal, but American Muscle has salaries to pay, and they need to get some sort of financial help for those tune updates. Remember, if it wasn't for them, there might not have been ANY Bamachips right now.

Chris Rose

Last edited:

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Remember, if it wasn't for them, there might not have been ANY Bamachips right now.

Bad thing ? Let's not start petting heads until we see what happens with the people's money who was taken and not replaced on orders " Before the merge "

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You are fucked if you bought only tune files from Bama Chips. I just called A/M and asked if my tune file would be modified with the mods to my car, as was the agreement with Bama Chips....I was told "only if you bought the tuner from BamaChips....so if you bought tune files only the jist is FUCK OFF BUDDY!

Glad I went with Wes@TPS

I purchased a custom dyno tune from Doug, and was told if anything ever needed to be modified, then to let him know and he would change it.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score

As far as Doug goes, he explained his deal with AM and it is in-line with what you are saying. So I get it, Doug is producing mail-order tunes for you. You bought the rights. He is sticking around for awhile to help. Happens in business all the time. I get it. That is not my complaint.

It just so happens that Doug (as well as others) speak very well of Mike and tell me he is a top SCT tuner. Doug even recommended I drive up to visit.

My complaint, and what I am calling BS on is you said you are not setup for dyno tunes, then you turn right around and say "come out and meet our team and check out the dyno".

So, Dan says no dyno in his email, but we see one in the video. Then, you contradict yourself in one post saying you are not setup for in-house, then invite me to drive for 2 hours to see the dyno..

Do you see my problem now? Nothing to do with Doug there.

Listen, I like AM. I have done plenty of business with you and will continue to do so. Some people are less than happy with the way BamaChip went out of business and are looking for any reason to throw him and anyone around him under the bus.

Doug is a great guy and an excellent tuner. You made the right choice teaming up with him. However, you have to watch what you say and do, because if it is not spot on, this group will put you on blast in a New York Second.... (yes, I know you arn't in NY).

I purchased a custom dyno tune from Doug, and was told if anything ever needed to be modified, then to let him know and he would change it.

Doug is out of business. Emily said he is contracted for exclusive service to AM (that is a non-compete agreement). That means if Doug helps you or anyone else, he is getting sued...

Talk to AM. See what they will do.

tillman speed

Reaction score
What if they just bought the dyno for calibration development for the time being? R&D is a perfectly reasonable reason to purchase a dyno. Maybe they will open it to the public one day? That's a question for them. There are a lot of companies who purchase dyno equiptment for nothing other than product development and testing. Can't get mad at them for that.

In the mean time, the East Coast is extremely over crowded with Dyno shops, I can hit 5 dynos besides ours in like an hour. JDM, Evolution, L&M, ourselves, etc.

AMDanBailer

AmericanMuscle.com
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Marcspaz, I'm glad you were able to talk with Doug, and hear first hand what's going on.

We have invested very heavily, in both time and money, to bring our customers a product we are extremely proud of.

We partnered with Doug, hired Mike Wilson, purchased a lift for easy part installs, and a chassis dyno for testing, all to improve our tuning capabilities. We feel the quality of our value files, and the finished tunes being mailed to customers are superior to anything else on the market. If you ever call Mike or stop up to see him, he will likely corner you and spend hours explaining the benefits of our torque and performance tunes vs the competitions (yes this has happened to me).... There is absolutely no question Mike and Doug live for this stuff!

As for your questions about the dyno. Yes, it is our dyno. Yes, it is at our facility. Yes, it is setup on the other side of my office wall, and yes, listening to cars rev full blast all day was awesome the first few days, but gets more annoying each day ;)

The answer you got about us not being "setup" for in house dyno tuning was not because we aren't capable. We have the equipment and our guys love tuning cars in the shop. We simply made the decision not to offer this as a service. Volume on mail order tunes has increased and we are doing everything we can to keep our turn around time under a few days. Right now, we just don't have the manpower to offer customers dyno tuning..

dagamore

Poor Driver mod
Reaction score
Just watched this and i noticed that AmericanMuscle talked about their 'world class customer service' not once but twice in this video. and just though others should know about that world class service. In early June of 09 i ordered a zex n2o kit and an oil filter from them, fast forward 3 weeks and only the oil filter arrived via USPS(i have an APO address and USPS is about the only shipping option) and the tracking number for the other box never showed as even shipped via the USPS tracking system, and AM refused to provided me with any prove that it was ever shipped. fast forward 3 more months, more then 60 days from the original ship date not order date, with by weekly calls and the only thing i was ever told from AM was to wait and call later, after many emails/phone calls were they finally willing to reship the item. now they are joining forces with another group/company that is not know for customer service, I don't see how this could be a good thing at all. just my 2 cents, i could be wrong. but i know i no longer tell soldiers in the APO system to order from AM, i actually actively try to make sure they don't. My problem with that sort of 'world class customer service' is that they should have at some time been willing to email/mail/fax me either their copy of the customs form or a copy of the final QC paperwork they use in house to show that it was shipped and at what time and by who. But their stock answer was to just call back latter/give it more time.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Marcspaz, I'm glad you were able to talk with Doug, and hear first hand what's going on.

We have invested very heavily, in both time and money, to bring our customers a product we are extremely proud of.

We partnered with Doug, hired Mike Wilson, purchased a lift for easy part installs, and a chassis dyno for testing, all to improve our tuning capabilities. We feel the quality of our value files, and the finished tunes being mailed to customers are superior to anything else on the market. If you ever call Mike or stop up to see him, he will likely corner you and spend hours explaining the benefits of our torque and performance tunes vs the competitions (yes this has happened to me).... There is absolutely no question Mike and Doug live for this stuff!

As for your questions about the dyno. Yes, it is our dyno. Yes, it is at our facility. Yes, it is setup on the other side of my office wall, and yes, listening to cars rev full blast all day was awesome the first few days, but gets more annoying each day ;)

The answer you got about us not being "setup" for in house dyno tuning was not because we aren't capable. We have the equipment and our guys love tuning cars in the shop. We simply made the decision not to offer this as a service. Volume on mail order tunes has increased and we are doing everything we can to keep our turn around time under a few days. Right now, we just don't have the manpower to offer customers dyno tuning..

Thanks for the follow up!

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
I just got an email from AM saying that all former BamaChips customers who have purchased tunes are now enrolled in the American Muscle's Bama Custom Tuning "Free Tuness For Life" program, regardless of whether you bought a device from BamaChips or not.

Way to step up guys! I'm impressed.

fhlh

Grabber? Don't Know Her!
Reaction score
Here's the lastest I received in a 'emailer' from AM and BAMA
---------------------------------------------------------------
We're 48 hours in, and Bama Custom Tuning is already a huge success! With Doug, Mike Wilson, and the rest of our team, plus our in-house dyno, we're writing tunes that give you increased horsepower and torque, with stock-like drivability.
The response has been huge, and we've been writing hundreds of tunes and answering hundreds of calls a day. While we've been working, we've also been listening, and we'd like to take this opportunity to clarify a few things that have been generating some confusion.
1) DiabloSport Customers - All Diablosport customers from BamaChips are enrolled in the new Free Tunes for Life program. That means you'll continue to get updated tunes for any mods you make, for the lifetime of your vehicle, CAI, throttle body, gears, we're ready for it.
2) Tune Purchases without Devices from BamaChips - When we launched Bama Custom Tuning at AmericanMuscle, we were offering 'continued support' for customers who purchased custom tunes (without devices) from BamaChips. This has led to some confusion about what, exactly, 'support' means. To eliminate this confusion, Bama Custom Tuning is now enrolling ALL customers who placed orders from BamaChips in the Free Tunes for Life Program.
3) Trucks or Cars other than Mustangs - AmericanMuscle is a Mustang-specific retailer, but the Bama Custom Tune team will continue to support all of the vehicles that BamaChips has supported in the past. If you have a tune for your truck and want to modify it further and get a new street, performance, or race tune, call us up.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back