BMR Springs Questions

2013DIBGT

I Hate Wheelhop
Reaction score
Hello,

I was looking to find out some impressions from folks who run the BMR SP009 lowering spring package on their car and how you feel the car handles in corner carving situations during spirited day to day driving. The reason I am posting these questions in the Drag forum are because I am assuming most folks who run this spring setup do so because of the spring rates they have which look to be more geared towards Drag then handling.

In the perfect world I would love to put together a suspension setup on my 2013 GT with Brembo package that offers good straight line quarter mile performance while at the same time provides much better handling in the turns then what the car offers in stock form.

In any configuration I know that I will be purchasing Koni Yellow shocks, adjustable panhard bar, better lower control arms in the rear, relocation brackets and possibly adjustable sway bars.

So please let me know your thoughts and suggestions. What setup would you recommend or do you run that accomplishes the above goals?

Thanks for any info you can provide

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
I have BMR springs with the Koni STR's. The car handles much better than stock with not much difference in ride quality. It corners much flatter and the front end brake dive is all but gone. I haven't been to the drag strip with this combo but everyone says the BMR springs work really well for a drag racing application. I think they are an all around good choice and to me the amount of drop is just about perfect.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I have BMR springs with the Koni STR's. The car handles much better than stock with not much difference in ride quality. It corners much flatter and the front end brake dive is all but gone. I haven't been to the drag strip with this combo but everyone says the BMR springs work really well for a drag racing application. I think they are an all around good choice and to me the amount of drop is just about perfect.

One of my best mods...love the handling and ride with the BMR springs and tokico d specs...great combo

And that about sums it up.

OP, if you have any questions...please ask. Call me if you have some time. Although I am very bias, I will not recommend these SP009 Springs, or any other part that I do not feel would completely suit your wants and needs. Actually, I recommended some springs that one of our biggest competitors offers, just yesterday. It happens.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
And that about sums it up.

OP, if you have any questions...please ask. Call me if you have some time. Although I am very bias, I will not recommend these SP009 Springs, or any other part that I do not feel would completely suit your wants and needs. Actually, I recommended some springs that one of our biggest competitors offers, just yesterday. It happens.

Uh what???? lol

Kelly, lucas ftw!!!!!!!!

OP i have the bmr springs and i had steeda ultralites in the past. The bmr springs are much better at transferring weight and handle pretty damn good through the hills. I dont run a front swaybar and honestly if i gave the car to someone else to drive they probably wouldnt know it was gone. All thanks to bmr springs.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Yup, Lucas has been good to me. Upped the boost to 21.5....and the timing to 20 degrees....it is working.

2013DIBGT

I Hate Wheelhop
Reaction score
Hello and thank you to everyone who has posted their experiences with these springs.

A bit of history, I used to own a 91 LX 5.0 back in the day that had a fairly elaborate Kenny Brown suspension setup on it that handled like it was on rails but evertime I went to the 1/4mile track I would be very disappointed in its lack of ability to hook up. Granted, the driver plays a roll here but I didn't exactly just fall off the turnip truck in terms of driving stick in a spirited manor at the time.

Anyway, I would say my first love is corner carving and that type of driving I do far more often then 1/4 mile racing but this time around I don't want to make the same mistake as before and build a one trick pony for lack of a better term. I would like the car to be MUCH better controlled/damped then it is in stock form in corner carving situations but not so much so that it leaves me looking a fool a my local drag strip with a bad A$$ muscle car that gets eaten by all the pimple faced ricers because I/the car can only muster a 2.0 sec 60ft time. A bit of an extreme example for sure but hopefully you see my point.

Full disclosure, up until the other day my plan was to get Steeda Sport Springs and all the other components I listed in my original post and then I started getting flashbacks to the days described in my elaborate story above.

So I figured I would ping some of you folks first to see if a happy medium does indeed exist. From what I have researched and based on your helpfull replies it looks like these spring may be an option for me. I am just trying to avoid going thru the hassle and cost of finding out the hard way that I cant have my cake and eat it to in that the BMR springs are too soft for my spirited exploits on the back roads I frequent on a day to day basis.

Who knows, maybe I'm putting to much thought into the springs themselves and maybe setting myself up for disappointment by trying to tune the car to be good at both driving situations when one of those situations (drag racing) only accounts for 1% of my drivng style.

My apologies for the rant and thanks again for your thoughts on this matter.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
You can always crank up the Koni shocks/struts for the corner carving. I normally leave mine close to the softest setting but cranking them up drastically affects the ride/handling.

2013DIBGT

I Hate Wheelhop
Reaction score
How much advantage does a spring such as the BMR have over a spring like the Steeda Sport in a drag racing situation when all other supporting components are the same (ie... Shocks, LCA, Panhard, LCARB,..etc) assuming a robot is driving the car who doesn't make errors in launch?

Anybody frequently hit the drag strip using a stiffer spring rate like that found in the Steeda Sports and similar and still pull off impressive 60ft times?

bigstick

forum member
Reaction score
My first suspension mod was to add the Roush Stage 3 package and the best 60' time I could manage was a 2.0 on 18" drag radials. After switching to BMR lowering springs and Tokico D-specs, I hit 1.72 with the same 18" dr's and I'm convinced that there was room for improvement.

2013DIBGT

I Hate Wheelhop
Reaction score
I'm curious, is the reason I see a good number of folks using the Tociko D-Spec shocks with the BMR springs because they are able to be loosened more in terms of damping in the front then something like the Koni Yellows to promote better weight transfer?

Thanks for everyone's contributions.

NotaHybrid

I'm slow
Reaction score
Tokico d specs are better than the yellows for drag racing, but the yellows are better for auto-x. At least from what I've read. Either way I think you'll be satisfied. I've got the yellows with bmr springs and love them.

Sent from my helicopter

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I'm curious, is the reason I see a good number of folks using the Tociko D-Spec shocks with the BMR springs because they are able to be loosened more in terms of damping in the front then something like the Koni Yellows to promote better weight transfer?

Thanks for everyone's contributions.

It could be. It also may have something to do with BMR offering a package with the Tokicos. We no longer sell them (Tokico), though.

A lot of people choose the D-Specs based on the fact that you adjust rebound and compression, instead of just rebound on the Koni's.

Also keep in mind, the Tokicos used to be WAY cheaper than the Koni's.....but now that the price-gap is closer, the Koni's are becoming more popular, for good reason.

The Koni Yellows are an amazing deal, in my opinion. They are of very high-quality, and they have a lifetime warranty, that they stand behind and it is an easy process.

This may sound silly, but I have a very large # of customers running the Strange Adjustables for drag AND handling use. The combo that we run on our 2011GT is the BMR Springs, and the Strange Adjustables, front and rear.

I honestly recommend the Koni's for you. Not only do we have an insane deal right now on the Koni/BMR package.....but if you pick the right components to adjust the geometry of the rear suspension (Upper Mount / LCA Relocation Brackets)....you can have your cake and eat it too.

NotQuik

I can't drive
Reaction score
I went from the Eibach ProKit for BMR springs and do not regret the decision. I would inconsistently cut mid 1.8 to high 1.9. 60's and so far I think the highest was a 1.81 and that was because the car bogged, with the best being a 1.72.. The ride quality on the street is also a bit better to boot.

NotQuik

I can't drive
Reaction score
Bad picture but you get the idea. I don't have any of it out of the garage suprisingly,

1FE8D789-C1B4-471A-8691-AF715BE3C113-3477-000004E0E40CFD46_zps500aefdb.jpg

ShaDi

forum member
Reaction score
i did lots of research before purchasing springs and decided on the BMR springs and could not be happier. i was wanting the lowered look but did not want to sacrifice the ride and i can tell you i could not be happier. there was only a slight difference in the ride from the stock springs and the car handles and looks perfect. money well spent.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back