Rear Springs 1" Lower

rocknrod

Reaction score
Yes that is interesting JC. I wonder if the P springs will be enough. But when I look at Samos3's car it's just right for me. He say's he has P springs on it. And your measurements with P springs look right as well. So I'm going with them.

Samos3

Reaction score
If I recall right, the P springs were not an even lowering all around. The rear drops a little more than the front. Plus, springs do settle over time. A concern I had was that my 140k mile oem springs might have settled enough that I wouldn't get the advertised drop. At least, not until the new springs had also settled. But, I have not been disappointed in the last 80k miles...probably due for new springs, too.

Samos3

Reaction score
Here's a couple more pics from front and rear. I do have a front spoiler/lip that just barely clears most parking stops, but I do have to watch it. It also does NOT like my plastic ramps.20230309_165617.jpg20230309_165556.jpg
The P springs had less drop than the K springs, I think. I didn't want too much.

rocknrod

Reaction score
Popped in the rear springs and it leveled it right out. :) I have my driver seat at the upholstery shop this AM or I would pull it out and take a picture. My shop is pretty close in work space and a pic now wouldn't do it justice.

rocknrod

Reaction score
I read someone cut one coil off their front spring and it dropped 1.25". With that logic if I cut 1/6 coil off . . .

JC SSP

Reaction score
I would not cut any springs unless you want it to ride like a “slinky” lol

DieHarder

Reaction score
I read someone cut one coil off their front spring and it dropped 1.25". With that logic if I cut 1/6 coil off . . .
Cutting springs will decrease travel resulting in a harsher ride. If you need more drop get a different set of springs. I went thru 3 sets before settling on my current setup which provides about 1" drop front and rear while still being comfortable on the street. I'd recommend driving what you have for a few weeks then reassess your options but I wouldn't cut them.

IMG_0978.JPG

IMG-0341.jpg

Last edited:

rocknrod

Reaction score
Can you tell me how I do get 1/4-inch lower in the front without taking a 1/6th or 1/4 off the spring?

Last edited:

AHaze

Reaction score
I'll go against the grain and say cutting coil springs FOR THE PURPOSE OF MAKING SMALL ADJUSTMENTS to the front ride height is fine.
Yes, it reduces suspension travel... so do lowering springs. If we're talking about 1/4" or less, that can be compensated for in the bump stops.
Coil springs basically function like a torsion bar that has been wrapped around an axis. Shortening the length (measured along the coil windings) will increase the spring rate in the same way shortening a torsion bar would. For a coil suspension, the amount of force required to hit the bump stop is reduced by a smaller percentage than the reduction in suspension travel caused by shortening the spring.
Conversely, it is a commonly accepted practice to lower a leaf spring suspension with blocks or shackles which reduces travel without the benefit of increasing spring rate so I don't understand the "don't ever cut a coil spring" thing.
Is it the best method of accomplishing the desired result? Obviously not and sometimes (eg. coils that have tapered windings on both ends) it's not even possible. Would I do it to make a 1"+ ride height change? Nope.
That said, I've cut coils to make front end ride height adjustments on three vehicles and found the results perfectly acceptable. YMMV and all that but I definitely consider this option any time I'm looking to make small ride height changes, especially when a lowering spring isn't available.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Do your front struts have a rubber spring cups/isolators on the bottom where coil spring sits? Removing that might get you 1/4”?

JC SSP

Reaction score
Cutting the spring in the old days was done with a torch. The heat damages the spring tension. This is why I mentioned “Slinky”…

I guess it would be OK with a disc cutter to remove 1/2 a coil but in reality there are some many aftermarket coil springs out there that buy a new set makes more sense.

Last edited:

rocknrod

Reaction score
Do your front struts have a rubber spring cups/isolators on the bottom where coil spring sits? Removing that might get you 1/4”?
I was thinking of getting the springs out today I can look. Everybody in my house is sick and I'm starting to feel it myself. Not sure if I should buck up and push through it today or not. Then again if it last a week like everyone else around here I loose some time I don't want to.

rocknrod

Reaction score
I'll go against the grain and say cutting coil springs FOR THE PURPOSE OF MAKING SMALL ADJUSTMENTS to the front ride height is fine.
Yes, it reduces suspension travel... so do lowering springs. If we're talking about 1/4" or less, that can be compensated for in the bump stops.
Coil springs basically function like a torsion bar that has been wrapped around an axis. Shortening the length (measured along the coil windings) will increase the spring rate in the same way shortening a torsion bar would. For a coil suspension, the amount of force required to hit the bump stop is reduced by a smaller percentage than the reduction in suspension travel caused by shortening the spring.
Conversely, it is a commonly accepted practice to lower a leaf spring suspension with blocks or shackles which reduces travel without the benefit of increasing spring rate so I don't understand the "don't ever cut a coil spring" thing.
Is it the best method of accomplishing the desired result? Obviously not and sometimes (eg. coils that have tapered windings on both ends) it's not even possible. Would I do it to make a 1"+ ride height change? Nope.
That said, I've cut coils to make front end ride height adjustments on three vehicles and found the results perfectly acceptable. YMMV and all that but I definitely consider this option any time I'm looking to make small ride height changes, especially when a lowering spring isn't available.
My feelings exactly. I only have 50 years of hot rodding and custom car experience so I'm sure others have more knowledge than I. But 1/4"? . . .

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
been awhile since I've seen the front spring out of my '12, so I can't remember. But are the springs flat on the top and bottom or helical all the way through? If they're flat on the top and bottom, it won't sit in the perches like it's supposed to.

I cut the front springs on my '66, years and years ago, to get that extra 1/2" drop that I wanted and didn't perceive any negative effect on the car's handling or ride quality. Coilovers on it now too.

AHaze

Reaction score
1000012922.jpg
Front springs on these cars are tapered and flattened at the top (the end being held up by the jack stand in the photo) but can be cut without altering how they seat on the strut end.

JC SSP

Reaction score
If your are going to cut. Cut from the top. Diameter is almost the same as the upper strut mount. If you cut the lower, the coils spring pig tail might not seat probably on the strut.

AHaze

Reaction score
If your are going to cut. Cut from the top. Diameter is almost the same as the upper strut mount. If you cut the lower, the coils spring pig tail might not seat probably on the strut.
Huh? The top coil is flattened (nearly perpendicular to the axis of the windings) and is almost 1-1/2" smaller in diameter than the 2nd coil. If you cut from the top, I don't see how it's going to seat in the strut mount properly.
The bottom coil is the same diameter as the one above it and wound at almost the same pitch. Cutting there changes virtually nothing about how it would seat on the strut.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back