Car Starting Issue

06LimeGT

forum member
Reaction score
Okay I will try to explain the issue as much as possible. Recently my car has decided to not start out of the blue. What I mean by that is that it will start fine after sitting for a while. Like overnight, during work but when I go somewhere and turn it off and come back minutes later it won't start. Not everytime but sometimes it does that. It doesnt turn over or make a sound. It only has started doing it for about 2 weeks now. The battery isn't even a year old. The alternator was recently replaced not even 3 months ago. I have had the battery tested twice now and both times it is at full power. I just had autozone test the battery, alternator, and starter. All showing good. What could be the issue because I have been thinking its the battery not holding a charge but autozone refuses to swap the battery since it is showing good. The battery cables are connected good and there is no corrosion. I am at a loss and beginning to get pissed because i don't even want to drive anywhere because I never know when I will get stuck. When I get jumped off it starts right up and doesn't make an odd sound or struggle. Anyone have any clue as to what else I could check?

Kalatrax

forum member
Reaction score
As a Parts Manager for Autozone I will say make sure they are testing it 3-4 times in a row. This will check to see if its holding a charge. If it drops from 100% in those tests have them swap it. To be honest though it doesn't sound like a battery issue if its doing it after five minutes and not overnight. Make sure all connection between the battery and starter are clean and tight. Make sure its a 40 or 96 group size battery and not something putting out 800CCA. Also check the starter relay, if its manual, the clutch pedal position sensor, also the ignition switch. Lastly it may be a anti theft issue, hopefully not, the dealer should be able to check that.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Clutch switch is probably loose. Crawl under the dash and make sure that both of them are tight in their brackets.

06LimeGT

forum member
Reaction score
Also if they hassle you about the swap PM me and I will talk to them.

I'm going to check the starter connections this weekend and check grounds. I understand they don't want to give me another battery if it is showing good. I was already pissed about the car and when I went to autozone the manager(guessing he was since he had a different shirt and told the other guy to go check my battery) was condescending and the associate that checked my car was a complete dick and seemed like he was pissed already. Was about all I could do not to starting yelling but I just said fuck it and drove back to work. Hopefully I can fix this...

Kalatrax

forum member
Reaction score
I'm going to check the starter connections this weekend and check grounds. I understand they don't want to give me another battery if it is showing good. I was already pissed about the car and when I went to autozone the manager(guessing he was since he had a different shirt and told the other guy to go check my battery) was condescending and the associate that checked my car was a complete dick and seemed like he was pissed already. Was about all I could do not to starting yelling but I just said fuck it and drove back to work. Hopefully I can fix this...

I dont like swapping batteries when they are actually good either because it isn't going to solve the customers issue. In all reality though, Autozone doesnt take the hit for the swap, the manufacturer does.

06LimeGT

forum member
Reaction score
Okay here are some pics of the starter where I think that the problem may exist. The first picture is the what looks like some wear. Not sure if this is the problem. The second picture is where when we were doing my LTs my buddy broke the stud on the power cable to the starter. All that was left of the stud was like 2 1/2 rings on the stud(if that makes sense) and I wasn't able to get the nut on the correct way so I flipped it over and twisted it on as best as possible. I would n't really stay on with pressure so I added blue loctite to the nut and screwed it back on. That is where I think the problem exists. The cable seemed loose under the backwards nut. That is basically all I saw. There was no corrosion on anything or cable not connected. I may need to find a starter. What do you guys think of the pictures?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 22
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 20

KaoTiK_Stang

Reaction score
I dont like swapping batteries when they are actually good either because it isn't going to solve the customers issue. In all reality though, Autozone doesnt take the hit for the swap, the manufacturer does.

Kalatrax that isn't true as a Store Manager For Autozone we do take a hit on the product. It comes of of our bottom line. Though I do agree with as far as having the employee run the test multiple times since the voltage drop is possible over time though I would have it done in vehicle. Since it sounds like the problem only happens when the vehicle gets warm it could be that the cells in the battery and loosing cohesion in there warm cycle causing a voltage loss.

06LimeGT

forum member
Reaction score
Kalatrax that isn't true as a Store Manager For Autozone we do take a hit on the product. It comes of of our bottom line. Though I do agree with as far as having the employee run the test multiple times since the voltage drop is possible over time though I would have it done in vehicle. Since it sounds like the problem only happens when the vehicle gets warm it could be that the cells in the battery and loosing cohesion in there warm cycle causing a voltage loss.

There really isn't a way to prove this unless they see it on there tests. It really sucks cause the battery is new and they don't care because it's testing fine. I will say autozone won't get another dollar from me.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Starter stud is f'd. Gotta get that right, and clean; need a good solid mechanical and solid electrical connection there.
Might get the stud replaced (starter rebuild shop) or replace it.

KaoTiK_Stang

Reaction score
There really isn't a way to prove this unless they see it on there tests. It really sucks cause the battery is new and they don't care because it's testing fine. I will say autozone won't get another dollar from me.

I know what your saying... Wish you were local so I could help you out!

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
So all the dash lights work but just no cranking? Is the power dropping out when it wont start or is the starter just not cranking?

06LimeGT

forum member
Reaction score
So all the dash lights work but just no cranking? Is the power dropping out when it wont start or is the starter just not cranking?

All the lights work. Just not cranking. Im gonna see if someone has a used starter I can buy and use and see if it fixes the issue until I have more money to replace it will a new one.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
You could check for power to the starter while having someone turn the key, at least then you know for sure if the problem is in the starter before going to the trouble of pulling it. It's pretty easy to swap out though man.

06LimeGT

forum member
Reaction score
Yea i know the starter is easy to switch out. Took it out and in about 5 times during the LT install LOL

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back