Carbon Fiber Clutch Packs

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Anyone running carbon fiber clutch packs have any noise issues? I rebuilt my stock diff unit about 6 months ago, replaced the OE packs with FRPP CF packs. Running 75w/140 fluid with a tube of friction modifier. Set the packs to OE specs, no extra tightness. In the last month I've noticed a slight "howl" from the rear when taking a turn, doesn't matter if the diff is hot or cold. Only howls in a turn, quiet on accel/decel and cruise so I know it's not the ring/pinion. Car has 60k/mi and I have not changed the axel shaft bearings but upon inspection the bearings didn't look worn out at all, but I don't feel it's a bearing howl as it only howls in a turn.

The howl is barely noticeable but I don't know if this is normal noise for CF clutch packs or not. Should I be running some other kind of fluid special for the clutch packs or am I ok with what I'm running? Anyone else run CF clutch packs experience noise when the limited slip is working? No vibration or tire chirping when turning, so I don't think they're too tight or catching. Both tires fry when they're supposed to, no one-tire fire, so the unit is functioning properly, just makes the howl in a turn.

Think more friction modifier should be added to the diff? Using an aftermarket diff cover so the diff takes a bit more fluid than OE spec, may be unbalanced for the amount of friction modifier?

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Mine grinds like it's blowing up when it gets warm
OEM fluid. Added a bottle of modifier, lost most of my lockup and the noise remained.

Bought a trutrac.

cbracoupe

forum member
Reaction score
I just installed my Eaton POSI. It has carbon clutch packs. Did you use a non synthetic oil? Eaton strongly recommended non synthetic in 80w-90 and a 4oz bottle of modifier. Pretty sure this is due to chattering/non lock up no howling. Would imagine yours should use something similar though.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back