Chicken Wire?

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
I'm going to make my own FR500 grille but need the chicken wire. I've tried the local hardware stores but it looks like either real chicken wire or thicker gauge mesh used for grilling steaks.

Any ideas where to get something that looks like this?
Thanks,

Gerardo

FD-GRILL-375-03-2.jpg

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
try mrbodykit.com, you can buy it on there but watch out for the shipping its a real pain in the ass

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot!

One more thing, please. I've never actually met an FR500 grille in person so I'm not sure wether to go with the small or medium diamond cut mesh.

Anyone have a clue? Thanks again for the suggestion!

Gerardo

SMALL HOLE DIAMOND CUT MESH

msh04_0636.jpg

MEDIUM HOLE DIAMOND CUT MESH

msh01_0636.jpg

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
Thanks a lot!

One more thing, please. I've never actually met an FR500 grille in person so I'm not sure wether to go with the small or medium diamond cut mesh.

Anyone have a clue? Thanks again for the suggestion!

Gerardo

SMALL HOLE DIAMOND CUT MESH

msh04_0636.jpg

MEDIUM HOLE DIAMOND CUT MESH

msh01_0636.jpg

From the looks of it, it would either be a small or small/medium.. It's closer to the small though I'd say. If not try lowe's or home Depot. There's a good chance you can make something very similar yourself.

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
I have one (FR500S, not the Shelby grille pictured above), and the material is stainless steel wire cloth, 4x4 mesh, similar to this:

http://www.twpinc.com/twpinc/control/product/~category_id=TWPCAT_12/~product_id=004X004S0470W48T

Ok, thank you for the link. I thought I found gold until I read this.

"Minimum Order for Stainless Steel Mesh is $75 per item."

At least I know what to look for. I may go to recycling place. That's where I found the aluminum piece (6 in x 8 ft x 1/8 in) I'll be using to fab a couple of brackets for the fogs and the trim. It cost me 4 bucks!
Thanks again!

Gerardo

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok, thank you for the link. I thought I found gold until I read this.

"Minimum Order for Stainless Steel Mesh is $75 per item."

At least I know what to look for. I may go to recycling place. That's where I found the aluminum piece (6 in x 8 ft x 1/8 in) I'll be using to fab a couple of brackets for the fogs and the trim. It cost me 4 bucks!
Thanks again!

Gerardo

Take it from some one who has been in metal manufacturing all his life........the scrap yard can be your friend......lol

Nickoli

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
a friend of mine owns a brick laying company and I saw him putting fake stone over an old brick fire place. He used a mesh exactly like that to apply morter to get it to stick. try your local brick layer they might have some scrap you can get...

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
Last edited:

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
OK, so everything in my first post was wrong! My memory must be going out on me.

The crimped material above is the correct type, but it is "3-mesh" (so 3 square openings per linear inch), and the wire diameter is .065" or so..this looks like a good match:

http://www.twpinc.com/twpinc/contro...AT_SSDeco/~product_id=Bravo_Stainless_Electro

Your timing couldn't be better Duster! As it turned out I had an ongoing family emergency all day and had to skip the trip to the recycling center.

Nickoli,
If the above pic is the exact same mesh your friend uses, I can ask a brick laying brother-in-law and see if he has some.

Thank you all for your responses, suggestions, and advice. I hope to have some pics up in the next few days and a great looking finished grille.

Gerardo

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Way back when I worked with/on GM cars at the local circle track we used gutter screen from Lowes. Not sure if it's wide enough though...

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
Duster,
My eyes must be going South. I just saw the link you posted. Wow! $280 for a panel (3ftx4ft). That's a bit discouraging.

Another option if I'm not able to source out the mesh is to buy one from one of Shelby's distributors.

Here.

http://www.partscheap.com/Grille_Insert_p/cs6-007.htm

If I understand this correctly, they're selling you the mesh only. Please correct me if I'm wrong. You still need the grille frame and fogs. I could hog out the OEM grille and use the Pony Package fogs I have instead of the Shelby one which look a little Ricey, IMO.

Gerardo

DusterRT

Defected to Deutsche
Reaction score
Yeah, interesting choice of materials for sure, though it helps explain the $500+ sticker price on them..well a little at least.

You can get a 3x4 panel of (non-crimped) aluminum wire mesh for about $75; also check MSC, you can buy smaller quantities versus the site linked above. You should be able to get at least 2 grilles out of one panel if you want to stick with the same orientation of the squares. I think I'm going to go with aluminum, as it will be lighter, cheaper to replace, and likely easier to work with.

As far as the Shelby link..hard to say exactly what they're selling. Almost sounds like it's something that goes on top of a stock grille or something, but I'd say you best bet is to give them a call for some clarification.

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, interesting choice of materials for sure, though it helps explain the $500+ sticker price on them..well a little at least.

You can get a 3x4 panel of (non-crimped) aluminum wire mesh for about $75; also check MSC, you can buy smaller quantities versus the site linked above. You should be able to get at least 2 grilles out of one panel if you want to stick with the same orientation of the squares. I think I'm going to go with aluminum, as it will be lighter, cheaper to replace, and likely easier to work with.

As far as the Shelby link..hard to say exactly what they're selling. Almost sounds like it's something that goes on top of a stock grille or something, but I'd say you best bet is to give them a call for some clarification.

I think Shelby might have been going for the sizable pebble thru the grille senario going with the SS one. I would imagine the aluminum ones might bend easier. The SS will definitely be harder to cut. I sent the store above an email. I want to get something in writing instead of a salesperson telling me what he thinks it is. No response as of yet. I still have high hopes that the recycling yard will deliver the goods, so to speak...

Gerardo

Axes-Of-Evil

forum member
Reaction score
So, I'm a Ford employee and I recieve all parts at cost +10% and the price of the FR500 grille part # M-8200-A (I think that's the right part #) even with employee discount is $550.... So you can at least be happy there's not a crap load of mark up for those of you that aren't Ford employees, I guess. I think still think it's outrageous they charge that much for a mesh grille.. anyway did you ever make the grille 06Torch? or anyone else fab up their own FR500 grille?

Reaction score
go to lowes , in the indoor lumber area they have the mesh you are looking for its like 6 ft long and 2 or 3 ft wide , 7 bucks a sheet i saw it today!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back