Clutch slipping bad

NaS197

forum member
Reaction score
So I'm looking to get a new clutch for my '06 GT. She's all stock right now, but I will be doing a full exhaust, cold air intake, and tune here within the next 8 months.

I've favored the center force dual friction clutches on my '96 GT. Just wondering if there's anything better or recommended more for these years.

She'll see a couple drag nights an a good amount of street fun.

Also how hard is it to replace these by myself? I have a lift an air tools on hand and probably a friend helping me out. What could I do to make it simple and what should I watch out for when pulling it & putting it back in?

The shop around me says it's about $500 to install one plus the cost of whatever clutch I want to put in. Does that sound about right?

Also I want to upgrade my shifter, would it be best to do this while the trans is out?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
A search will turn up all kinds of good info. BTW a "what to buy" thread isn't tech around here.

Stay away from Centerforce DF unless you want to pull it again in a few thousand miles.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A search will turn up all kinds of good info. BTW a "what to buy" thread isn't tech around here.

Stay away from Centerforce DF unless you want to pull it again in a few thousand miles.

:thumb2: by far an over asked, under searched question.

NaS197

forum member
Reaction score
It was more or less how hard is it to change more than what really to buy, but thank you

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
$500 sounds a little high to me. I'd swap it myself since you have a lift and tools. The only hard part is getting the tranny pulled out and back in through the tunnel since it is a tight fit....gosh that sounds bad haha.

Yes, it would be easier to swap the shifter with the transmission out of the car, but it's not a huge chore to do it later on.

Exedy mach 400 or 500(depending on your power level) seem to be a great hit with these cars. I haven't heard of anyone running a centerforce on these. If you plan on running boost later on, I would get a Mcleod RST or RXT twin disc.

Replace the slave cylinder with an OEM replacement while you're in there.

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
It was more or less how hard is it to change more than what really to buy, but thank you

500 labor isn't too high, it can be done in 4 hours if they've done it before.

It isn't too difficult to R&R the tranny on jack stands , Getting it out is the easy part. Getting it back in can be a bitch. The thing weighs 130-ish ponds ..

Ist you need a decent torque wrench, $40 for for 3/8" Kobalt from Lowes. Other tools 10mm Gear wrench fot the shiftrt-to-transmission bolt., a 13mm Gear wrench, 13/15/18mm sockets and some extensions, You need a 12 point socket for the driveshaft bolts and a tube of Blue locktite.

A tranny Jack will make it easier to get it back in, but you can get it in without one.

2nd thing you want to do is cut the 2 dog ears off the bellhousing while you have it out. It'll make it much easier to getit back in.

I have a cheap HF hydraulic tranny jack that angles the transmission as it's raised and I've found the easiest way to get it back in is to keep the angle of the tranny inline with the engine,

I do mine by raising the front of the car higher than the rear, I use 6-ton jack stands and get the front 10" higher than the rear, raise the tranny til it lines up with the clutch, then start working it in,

Make sure the tranny is outta gear and ou should be able to rock the tranny til the bellghousing seats .. then install the bolts ...

It helps if you lower the back of the engine also, I tie a strap around my header and pull it down.

Here's a pic with my car sitting an stands, the front is higher than the rear and the tranny went right in ..

Attachments

• Tranny_R-R.jpg
    Tranny_R-R.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 25

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back