Custom Knives

twisted_GT500

forum member
Reaction score
I like to make handmade, custom knives in my off time. It gives me something to do as well as brings in a little extra cash when they sell. I wanted to start this thread to show off some of the knives I've made.

Hope you enjoy

thumb_2285726104.jpg

thumb_2285726204.jpg

thumb_2301498604.jpg

There will be more posted as I make new ones. Just wanted to show some of the ones I'm more proud of to start with.​

New pictures added!!

Last edited:

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What material do you make the blades from? How much do you charge?

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I sail regularly and a good knife can save your life. I have yet to see one like I'd want.

twisted_GT500

forum member
Reaction score
What material do you make the blades from? How much do you charge?

Those knives were made from Damascus steel. It's 4 different types of steel welded together & folded over and over. It ends up having 416 layers of steel, making it very hard. Additionally, because of the layers, it ends up having micro serrations the entire length of the blade. Even when the blade dulls it will still cut!

For knives of this type I typically sell for around $200. For similar knives out of metals such as 1095, 1084, or other high carbon equivalents the price is around $100-125. Since all my work is custom, there's no charge for that. The price is driven by cost, I do not get much profit out of it. Exotic materials up the price a little more, but I try to keep costs low.

I feel as tho my prices are very reasonable. Similar knives by other custom makers typically start around $350 and go up from there. Also, most have months to years of waiting lists, I don't. I'm just a single man operation, and I do this out of enjoyment. The only constraint I have is that I am an active duty soldier in the Army, so I make the knives around my work schedule. :clap:

Last edited:

twisted_GT500

forum member
Reaction score
I sail regularly and a good knife can save your life. I have yet to see one like I'd want.

If you have ideas for what you'd like I can draw up some sketches for approval.

I also have a bunch a sketches for knives I'm working on that haven't been made, or are in the process of being made.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No sketches, but straightish blade one side, hook blade and serrated other side, blunt tip, rope wrapped handle with a 3 foot tail to clip to a belt.

twisted_GT500

forum member
Reaction score
TJM73, if you'd like to PM me your email, I'll work on a sketch tonight and email it to you tomorrow. Also, buly blunt, do you mean flat like to use for prying or curved but without a tip?

n0nleft13

forum member
Reaction score
Twisted you do some very nice work. How much for something like that 3rd knife but with a tanto point say 5.5" blade?

Just out of curiosity what type of materials cost more, is L6 one of them?

twisted_GT500

forum member
Reaction score
L6 isn't something I'm familiar with, but I'll look into it and see how much it runs.

Typically Damascus costs the most, as it costs the most for me to purchase. If you're happy with a 'normal' blade though, 1095 is the cheapest and can be under $100. After that comes 154 CM, D2, S30V, and similar materials. Those are stainless and offer exceptional strength while keeping a good edge. Typically they range from $100-200. Damascus gets into the $200+ range.

The price really comes down to the cost of materials, I try to keep prices as low as I can. I'll work with you on design and materials and give you price quotes, and of course everything is negotiable.

Also, typically I do everything but make the metal itself. I even heat treat it when I can (they're are some of he stainless metals I can't do though, so I have them sent to bigger shops). All the knives are one of a kind. I do not use any templates or 'pre-made' blades. I do not have anything cnc'ed, or machine sharpened. I hand-make everything 'freestyle'.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
had a friend that was apprenticing under a knife-smith in Kentucky. Damascus steel is an awesome material, very cool process. I really like the 2nd knife, very nice!

My Dad's friend made a bowie knife out of a section of leaf spring, thing's a beast

twisted_GT500

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks! I am a big fan of working with Damascus...unfortunately it's cost keeps it out of the hands of the average buyer. The majority of 'custom' knife makers charge is excess of $400 a blade!

I got my start the same way....apprenticing under an established, quality maker. Actually I still go back to him a lotion order to keep learning. There's always something new!

That knife you're referring to I'm actually trying to sell....give you a great price!! :D

n0nleft13

forum member
Reaction score
L6 isn't something I'm familiar with, but I'll look into it and see how much it runs.

It's ok I just know of it because on my wishlist is a Howard Clark samuari sword, http://www.mvforge.com, and he works with 1086 and L6. Like you say "custom" knives are normally out of my price range. The only one I have is because when I was looking for one I found one that was premade were the previous buyer fell through.

twisted_GT500

forum member
Reaction score
Gotta love it when you get deals like that! I try to keep all my prices where they're affordable. Gerber, K-Bar, Ontario Knives, etc all sell knives more expensive than mine that they mass produce.

1086 is something I' familiar with! I can make them not too expensive. I'll look into that link you sent me!

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back