Dedicated Track Tire/Wheel Combo

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
Don't want to use spacers, want to stick with 18's and square setup. How wide a wheel can I go up front? What tire(s) should I look into? Recommendations where to buy?

I'm thinking 18x10 on 285 all around. Am I on the right track?

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
I run 18x10.5s with 315s all around. Zero fender work, -3.5* camber up front.

If you want to adhere to the no spacer rule, I think 18x10 is gonna be the practical limit.

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
I run 18x10.5s with 315s all around. Zero fender work, -3.5* camber up front.

If you want to adhere to the no spacer rule, I think 18x10 is gonna be the practical limit.

I daily 305/40 555Rs on the rear, its CLOSE. They've probably rubbed a time or two. 315s won't fit without rolled fenders.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
I daily 305/40 555Rs on the rear, its CLOSE. They've probably rubbed a time or two. 315s won't fit without rolled fenders.

They will fit, you just need the correct wheel specs. Vorshlag sells a squared 18x11 setup that you can run 315's on without issue as long as you have camber plates, but it's not rotatable because they use different offsets front and rear so both ends tuck under the fenders.

18x10 Forgestars are a very popular option here, and for good reason. The type of tire to use will come down to what exactly you indent to do with it. There are countless tire threads on here so spend some time searching and most of your answers will probably be found.

For what it's worth, I have a set of 18x9.5" Forgestars with a 275/35 BFG Rival on them and a set of 18x10" Forgestars with a 275/35 Continental slick. Both work very well for me and fit great.

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
I have 18x10 track pack knock-offs from AM, assumed they'd be "right". At any rate, Ill look into the options suggested. Appreciated fellas

El_Tortuga

forum member
Reaction score
Check out this thread in the Wheel/Tire forum. Very good information here from SurferGeek.
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125304

I run 315s on all 4 corners for my track set, but on different rims front to back. Had to do some mild massaging to make everything fit comfortably. Up front its all the camber (-2.5 to -3), rolled fender lips, and 5mm spacers as the used Vorshlag wheels I bought rubbed on the struts. Out back, I had to trim the fiber inner fender liner and my PHB is pretty much exactly centered. No rubs at all on my mild car.

No reason why you can't end up with the same fit by choosing the appropriate offset wheel and spacing out appropriately in the front. No reason why one couldn't end up with the same effective offsets with a square setup and spacer in the back.

El_Tortuga

forum member
Reaction score
Check out this thread in the Wheel/Tire forum. Very good information here from SurferGeek.
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125304

I run 315s on all 4 corners for my track set, but on different rims front to back. Had to do some mild massaging to make everything fit comfortably. Up front its all the camber (-2.5 to -3), rolled fender lips, and 5mm spacers as the used Vorshlag wheels I bought rubbed on the struts. Out back, I had to trim the fiber inner fender liner and my PHB is pretty much exactly centered. No rubs at all on my mild car.

No reason why you can't end up with the same fit by choosing the appropriate offset wheel and spacing out appropriately in the front. No reason why one couldn't end up with the same effective offsets with a square setup and spacer in the back.

Correction. No rub in any driving circumstance, rears interfere with the inboard bump stop bracket when jacked up in the air and otherwise in full droop.

fast Ed

forum member
Reaction score
I have 18x10 track pack knock-offs from AM, assumed they'd be "right". At any rate, Ill look into the options suggested. Appreciated fellas

Those are +45 offset, so you may end up needing a tiny spacer on front to clear depending on the tire chosen, but probably not. Typically +40 to +43 on 10" wheels is a good compromise for front and rear. I have the 18x10" SVE Drifts for track wheels, they are +43, with 275/35R18 Continental slicks or 275/40R18 Nitto NT-05, and about -2 deg. camber.

cheers
Ed

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
Again, thanks for all the feedback.

Last question on the subject, where can I buy Conti slicks? Are they supposed to be hard to get? LOL
I know how to Google, but coming up empty. Its probably me somehow.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
American Muscle wheels look cool and are fine for daily driving, but they are terrible for tucking wide rubber in the front, have very poor caliper clearance, and weigh roughly as much as a Class 8 diesel truck.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
American Muscle wheels look cool and are fine for daily driving, but they are terrible for tucking wide rubber in the front, have very poor caliper clearance, and weigh roughly as much as a Class 8 diesel truck.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

Live and learn, right? Got 18x9s/10s for $89 a wheel,,,,

Where can I buy Conti's??

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
You can get the Conti racing slicks direct from Hoosier brand new*, or failing that, there are a LOT of sources of "scrub" tires.

There are two different series that run the Conti slicks. Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge and what used to be Rolex Cup. The CTSCC tires are effectively DOT-R tires. As stickers, they "feel" like a slightly used R6, and wear quite well in comparison, but give up just a bit of absolute grip level. Think of it as an R6 with a thicker tread section, if you want. The size you want is 275/35R-18.

The Cup tires, on the other hand, are a true hard compound race slick. Completely different animal. Sizes are like the rest of the true slicks: 285/640-18. Tread width in mm, then loaded diameter in mm, then rim diameter. Grip level is MUCH higher than the DOT-R tires, and breakaway and recovery is more abrupt. You will need a lot more slip angle to take advantage of the grip, and will probably need to increase your spring rates and damping curves. These are "big boy" tires.

*Hoosier manufactures the race tires for Continental, and sells off the unused inventory at the end of the race season. Prices are cheap for race tires, but availability is not guaranteed. If you run the CTSCC tires, and run out of inventory, you can transition to Hoosier R6/R7 with just a tire pressure and driving style change. DO NOT mix and match, though, they are different in the way they need to be driven.

NONE of them are viable for ANY amount of street driving. These are all "track-only" tires.

Candy10

forum member
Reaction score
Will definitely be track only. The Hoosier/Conti connection is news to me LOL. I was looking on the Hoosier site, scratching my head.

Its humbling to be the "nOOb" at something (at my age), thnx again, all.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back