Dent in oil pan?

BL00DSH0T

forum member
Reaction score
Noticed I got a dent in the oil pan. It is in the rear on the bottom. Doesn't look that bad but noticeable. Only concerns I have is where the oil pick up is at and if this will cause any issues.

Anyone know if the oil pick up tube is in this deep part of the pan and how much clearance there is?
Should I just replace the pan?

They are only $70 for a new one and $100 with a new gasket.

Thanks

Last edited:

ctt326

Brenspeed Hater
Reaction score
You should try to get a pic so we can see exactly where it is. A rock ding isn't going to make a difference but if you smashed it on something you probably want to replace it.

BL00DSH0T

forum member
Reaction score
I'll try to get one in a few minutes.

It it not that bad, toward the drain plug.

It is not from a rock ding, but from lifting the motor.
I didn't want to jack it from the oil pan(where it is dented) so I made a block of wood to fit at the front of the pan that didnt contact the crank pulley. I didnt feel comfortable working under the engine with the block so I put a brace(block with a phone book on top) under the pan.....yeap dumb shit! Wasn't thinking and lowered it and thats how it happened.
Thought it was a good idea at the time.

BL00DSH0T

forum member
Reaction score
Here are some pics.

From this side it does look kinda bad.
img20120321210312.jpg

img20120321210336.jpg

img20120321210346.jpg

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Next time you change oil I would change. That would drive me nuts. Good excuse to put the aftermarket oil pan of choice on!

BL00DSH0T

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. If the pick up shouldn't be an issue I can live with it. Changing the pan doesn't look like something I want to do if I don't have too.

BL00DSH0T

forum member
Reaction score
Noticed I got a dent in the oil pan. It is in the rear on the bottom. Doesn't look that bad but noticeable. Only concerns I have is where the oil pick up is at and if this will cause any issues.

Anyone know if the oil pick up tube is in this deep part of the pan and how much clearance there is?
Should I just replace the pan?

Here are some pics.

From this side it does look kinda bad.
img20120321210312.jpg

img20120321210336.jpg

img20120321210346.jpg

Should I worry about this. I plan on changing the oil now and looking through the drain hole to see if the dent contacted anything.

Thanks

BL00DSH0T

forum member
Reaction score
Dent the pan lifting the motor putting your headers on?

Actually yes and no....
I made a block to lift the motor but didn't feel comfortable with just it. Had a stand under the oil pan. When i was trying to get the passenger header on I let the engine down forgeting about the stand.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
And all the answers were the same...Whoa Man...I think we hit a warp bubble!!!

apd252

forum member
Reaction score
If everything is fine engine wise, I would weld a nut onto the bottom of the pan in the center of the dent. Insert a bolt with a chain attached. Use a crobar and pull the dent out to as near stock as possible. Remove nut. Spray paint bottom of pan.

Not like I have done this before. LOL

b00stedgt

Reaction score
If everything is fine engine wise, I would weld a nut onto the bottom of the pan in the center of the dent. Insert a bolt with a chain attached. Use a crobar and pull the dent out to as near stock as possible. Remove nut. Spray paint bottom of pan.

Sounds 100x easier than pulling the k member

BL00DSH0T

forum member
Reaction score

Wow great response. I can definatley do that.
I'll drain the oil tomorrow and see if I can see any damage through the drain plug. Can't start it up til my o2 extentions get here.

Thanks again.

apd252

forum member
Reaction score
Wow great response. I can definatley do that.
I'll drain the oil tomorrow and see if I can see any damage through the drain plug. Can't start it up til my o2 extentions get here.

Thanks again.

No problem. Just passing along a little knowledge from past experience.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back