Driver side airbag delete

luv2cheat

forum member
Reaction score
I would like to remove my Driver side airbag in an effort to shed a few more lbs. Has anyone seen some type of cover to replace the airbag that looks decent. I would like to keep the OE steering wheel for now.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
do you drive this car on the street?

is yes, is saving a few pounds worth risking injury or life?

Chiron

forum member
Reaction score
Very limited street. I have already removed the passenger side airbag. So the driver side is useless anyway.

I'm curious as to how the driver's side is useless now. Don't the two bags act independently of one another?

I dunno, if you're driving it on the street at all, it seems beneficial to have a bag. Wanna shed those 2lbs? Take a man-shit before you make your pass.

luv2cheat

forum member
Reaction score
I'm curious as to how the driver's side is useless now. Don't the two bags act independently of one another?

I dunno, if you're driving it on the street at all, it seems beneficial to have a bag. Wanna shed those 2lbs? Take a man-shit before you make your pass.

I also have kirky seats. So between removing the pass airbag and oe seats the airbag light is on. I am not sure exactly what caused the light to come on.

I am looking for every pound possible. A man shit and removing the airbag would be 4 lbs.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I'll see if I can get you a picture tonight I made a sheet metal bracket to hold the front plastic pc off the airbag. Then I filled it with spray foam to make it hard again.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'll see if I can get you a picture tonight I made a sheet metal bracket to hold the front plastic pc off the airbag. Then I filled it with spray foam to make it hard again.

that sounds a little dirty....

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I didn't think it was exactly legal to remove safety equipment from a public road faring vehicle?

it's not and if there is a safety inspection required by the state the car could certainly be failed by a diligent inspector.

ethic1

forum member
Reaction score
Its also illegal to cut out your cats, and numerous other things....

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Well no pics. I thought I had some but I dont. What I do have is a drawing to size of what I made but Im working out of town right now. I will see if someone can send it in a PDF file so I can post it for you. It is to size and can be used as a template.

What I did was take the outside cover (the part you see when installed) off the airbag unit and made a plate out of 18 gage galvanized sheet metal and folded tab up to screw it in in the factory location.

jeostang

forum member
Reaction score
I just run with a hole in my wheel. But getting an aftermarket wheel now.

If you ever run it on the street with no airbag you better be harnessed in, and not carrying a passenger, thats just a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Back