Email doubting 12.504 1/4 mile time

SirKnightTG

forum member
Reaction score
It was written by an asshole at FRPP who, to this day, continues to call some of the best tuners in the country "a bunch of hackers." Even when they prove him wrong time and again.

While there have been a few different definitions of what a hacker is (the media/Hollywood likes to portray a "hacker" as someone doing bad things), technically while looking at the more correct definition any one who writes tunes for a car is a hacker. Anyone who modifies the hardware of the car (or just swapping parts even, bolt ons, etc) is a hacker as well. We are all hackers actually.

"A hacker is a person who heavily modifies the software or hardware of their own computer system", taking from wikipedia, and all of us in the computer industry already knows and agrees with this. Even though this definition says computer system, it actually means the same for anything. Cars, motorcycles, boats, phones, etc. Hacking is the process of modifying any kind of device/machine/system to suit your own goals or needs.

Richard Stallman, founder of the Free Software Foundation and GNU, says "hacking means exploring the limits of what is possible, in a spirit of playful cleverness." This holds true in the realm of racing, hot rodding, etc too. This definition of hacking actually existed as it is before computers anyway. It's quite universal really. Here's Richard's page where he talks about "hacking" that's actually a good read: http://stallman.org/articles/on-hacking.html

Now this FRPP guy probably is using the "black hat" version of "hacker" implying bad things, but the truth is we are all hackers here. But instead we're the "white hat" flavor.

Keep on hackin'! :beer:

Last edited:

jmn444

Reaction score
I need to try me a bama tune sounds like

to be fair to brenspeed, the owner said he felt a difference, could just be my car took the frpp tune a little better.... I really don't know though. hell, I suppose the prior owner may have tuned my car for all I know, but he was an older fellow that didn't like the rough ride so much, so doubtful!

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
PM me some details on when and where! Assuming you'll give me some schooling on how to launch at the light and shit I'm in!

I'm still learning myself, and I plan on heading there tomorrow evening after work. That's of the weather doesn't get in the way.

jmn444

Reaction score
there where? I havent' been to a dragstrip in years even to just watch, is there one in valpo?

jmn444

Reaction score
they are closed tomorrow, last time I was there, a sick '69 camaro tore the hell out of a drag bike... gave the bike 2 car lengths even... My jaw dropped.

jmn444

Reaction score
does ride along night mean you can have passengers in the car???

1fastpony

forum member
Reaction score
I wouldn't doubt you, but I drove a brenspeed tuned SGT, and couldn't tell the difference really. Still might give Bama a shot though as I've heard they put out some good tunes!

I run Dougs tune for the past 4 yrs. The latest is a Doug/Chris Rose race tune.

BlackSunshine

Power Downshifter
Reaction score
Jesus, you would think the OP made some outlandish claim like running 10.50's in a Vespa scooter with a sprocket. They probably couldn't believe I trap at 110 with my mod list either.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back