Front Suspension Help- 2001 Cobra

eicht

forum member
Reaction score
Ok Guys- here is my conundrum:

I need to replace the ball joints on the front. Car has 57K miles. As I plan to keep this car for eternity, I decided that as things needed to be replaced I would change out all the bushings etc. so it would eventually be like new. So I am looking to also replace the control arm bushings, inner and outer tie rod ends, sway bar end links, and sway bar bushings. I fully intend to install lowering springs and new struts, and camber/caster plates if needed, but that will happen later. I was reading about the Steeda ball joints and how they lower the front and then you may need Bump Steer kits, which if I am reading correctly are adjustable tie rod ends. I am new to this front suspension setup and want to avoid duplicating effort, but am forced to do this in stages rather than all at once.

So (finally) my question is- when I lower the car, beside springs, struts, camber/caster plates, what else will I need to change? Will I end up replacing the tie rod ends twice? Should I just get Bump Steer kit now and be done with it? Other then the front end alignment, I am doing the work myself.

I will admit up front I did not search. As this is the S197 forum I figured there would be few discussions on this topic.

Thanks in advance.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Pretty simple. Just grab a QA1 Bumpsteer kit (best value) and new inner tie rods.

For the a arms, just try and locate a low mileage set of 03/04 cobra or Mach1 a arms instead of going through all that work refreshing yours. Those 03/04 versions are superior.

If you must refresh, I like the Steeda X2 joints. They come with spacers so the height won't change much. For the bushings, I'd suggest you go with oem replacements...as the poly stuff really promotes nvh.

I highly suggest you perform all of the mods at the same time. Springs, struts, etc etc.

Last edited:

302GT

forum member
Reaction score
On my 04 Mach 1 I did Maximum Motorsport aluminum rack bushings, Ford C springs, poly arm bushings and cc plates. The rack and a-arm bushings really tightened up the steering. Car didn't chase crowns or wander under heavy braking. There was only slight noise from the arm bushings on colder mornings. The trade off was worth the increased performance in steering and braking.

I didn't do ball joints or bump steer kit but should have to correct the geometry.

eicht

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. I will probably just install the bumpsteer kit, even though I dont needed it immediately. I wish I had the option of doing it all at once. I gave my wife the proposed build sheet and it totaled over $11K. I bought this to spend my free time working on, and I am not made of money, so it will take a little while to get it the way I want.

SNKPWR

forum member
Reaction score
x2 on the QA1 bump steer kit. The steering geometry on new edges is terrible when lowered very much. If you go lower than say 1.5" in front you'll def want CC plates it you'll be wearing out the inside edge of your tires quickly (even after an alignment). I also agree on the terminator a arms they're a good upgrade for the money, I did them on my last 01 cobra.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
My 01 was lowered about 1.75". I went Maximum Motorsports CC plates and Steeda rack bushings. Never ran a bump steer kit and never had any front end issues.

eicht

forum member
Reaction score
By Steeda rack bushings are you referring to the offset bushings for the steering rack?

eicht

forum member
Reaction score
I appreciate all the input. So.. based on your experience what are the minimum parts I will need to replace (i.e. different from stock spec replacement parts) when I lower the car? I do not intend to lower it any more than 1.5 inches.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
When I lowered mine I went extremely basic. I found a set of termi springs and cut a half coil off all the way around. No isolators up front and just the bottom out back. I used take off Bilsteins from an 03 Cobra. I used the MM plates so I wouldn't have to worry about the alignment. I ran it like that for almost ten years. And I think the current owner is still running it that way.

I didn't need ball joints or anything since the car only had 50k when I bought it. I swapped out the rack bushings because the stockers were marshmallows after an oil leak.

bcb06gt

Reaction score
When I lowered mine I went extremely basic. I found a set of termi springs and cut a half coil off all the way around. No isolators up front and just the bottom out back. I used take off Bilsteins from an 03 Cobra. I used the MM plates so I wouldn't have to worry about the alignment. I ran it like that for almost ten years. And I think the current owner is still running it that way.

I didn't need ball joints or anything since the car only had 50k when I bought it. I swapped out the rack bushings because the stockers were marshmallows after an oil leak.

+1. When I had my 2000GT I swapped front springs 4 times. Final was 2004 Cobra front with a half coil cut, 2004 Cobra struts and 2004 Cobra A arms. Rear was a swapped 2004 Cobra IRS. Best suspension I had on my 200GT for a daily driver. I also replaced the steering rack with an OEM reman and new outer tie rods. Car had 125K when I sold it and new owner said it was better than anything with less miles he had driven.

Last edited:

bullitt 736

Reaction score

What you changed is all you need. You don't need the Steeda ball joints or bump steer kit. I went with 03-04 cobra a-arms since my bushings and ball joints had over 100k. With the MM c/c plates the alignment specs dial right in. I also went with poly rack bushing. Non- offset.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
What you changed is all you need. You don't need the Steeda ball joints or bump steer kit. I went with 03-04 cobra a-arms since my bushings and ball joints had over 100k. With the MM c/c plates the alignment specs dial right in. I also went with poly rack bushing. Non- offset.

I didn't need them either. But if his are wore out then going with the 03/04 control arms would be his best bet. But I agree that he doesn't need the X2 ball joints or bump steer kit.

eicht

forum member
Reaction score
I didn't need them either. But if his are wore out then going with the 03/04 control arms would be his best bet. But I agree that he doesn't need the X2 ball joints or bump steer kit.

Thanks for all the input. I have not had any luck finding the 03/04 A Arms. I will keep looking.

bullitt 736

Reaction score
You can find them used on Corral but they may need ball joints or bushings. There's a set on there now with new ball joints. Turning radius is better on the Cobras.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
You can find them used on Corral but they may need ball joints or bushings. There's a set on there now with new ball joints. Turning radius is better on the Cobras.
If you're talking about the 03/04 Cobras I'm gonna have to disagree. The turning radius in my 04 is noticeably wider than my 01. Ford put limiters in the 03/04 racks because of the wider tires. Funny enough my 01 never had rubbing issues with 275's up front.

bullitt 736

Reaction score
^^^ I should have clarified better. The front control arms. My '01 with the 03/04 Cobra arms does not have limiters on the rack.

eicht

forum member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what is gained with the 03?04 arms? I will never be racing the car either drag or autocross, so would I ever notice the difference? (just to be clear, I am not trying to be argumentative, simply trying to learn as much as possible about this. I will be asking many stupid questions about the IRS when I get around to the back end.)

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back