Help Ford will not sell me a

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I need a pinion flange for the diff,Ford will not sell any part of the GT 500 rearend,if you break a axle,you must buy the entire rearend assembly etc.New rearend $ 3,000.00 what a joke.Be careful with your rearend!Can anyone help me on this one????

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They really should be the same as the GT part - I have a Powerhouse driveshaft for a GT500 to go between my GT rear and my GT500 transmission... Fits just fine (the PH uses an adapter that goes into the flange like others on the market).

So far as I know the entire rear-end assembly is the same...

As for being careful with your rear-end - well I think that should go without saying...

But more importantly and all jokes aside with these cars as they are heavy and when you add torque to a heavy car, your rear-end and trans pay the price...

Here's some ASCII art of my 8.8
BEFORE:
[]--O--[]
AFTER:
[]~~X--[]

:sick:

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They really should be the same as the GT part - I have a Powerhouse driveshaft for a GT500 to go between my GT rear and my GT500 transmission... Fits just fine (the PH uses an adapter that goes into the flange like others on the market).

So far as I know the entire rear-end assembly is the same...

As for being careful with your rear-end - well I think that should go without saying...

But more importantly and all jokes aside with these cars as they are heavy and when you add torque to a heavy car, your rear-end and trans pay the price...

Here's some ASCII art of my 8.8
BEFORE:
[]--O--[]
AFTER:
[]~~X--[]

:sick:

your asCII rear end looks liek it got :doggy:

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
your asCII rear end looks liek it got :doggy:
And how... Have a 9" ready to go on the garage floor, but I did not want to cut 2 custom driveshafts so its waiting for the "big-bad" transmission from promotion that I had planned to do later this year, but bending up the 8.8 changed my plans a bit...

In the mean time I cobbled some parts together to keep the car moving and changed clutches to prevent twisting up the stock rear - works fine but howls like hell over 50MPH... (gears got scored when the carrier/axle bent but were otherwise undamaged - so I threw them back on the stock carrier)...

Fun, fun, fun! (actually I have had a lot of fun - I just wish I had some times to show for this work, but I needed to get back up to speed anyway both with the wrench and the feet)...

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
And how... Have a 9" ready to go on the garage floor, but I did not want to cut 2 custom driveshafts so its waiting for the "big-bad" transmission from promotion that I had planned to do later this year, but bending up the 8.8 changed my plans a bit...

In the mean time I cobbled some parts together to keep the car moving and changed clutches to prevent twisting up the stock rear - works fine but howls like hell over 50MPH... (gears got scored when the carrier/axle bent but were otherwise undamaged - so I threw them back on the stock carrier)...

Fun, fun, fun! (actually I have had a lot of fun - I just wish I had some times to show for this work, but I needed to get back up to speed anyway both with the wrench and the feet)...

haha good luck to you anf get that 9" in already

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am trying to install a GT 500 driveshaft in my 05 Mustang GT.I have bought the GT 500 driveshaft,had it cut,shortened & balanced,i want the pinion flange so as i can balance the whole assembly together,i don't want no adaptor plate,the GT 500 shaft is bigger,stronger & has a internal vibration suppression stuff in it.I need a pinion flange for the GT 500!!!!!!!!!!!!

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I need a pinion flange for the GT 500!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, again since the GT500 and GT share the same rear, you just need a GT flange unless I am missing something...

If you want to get rid of the funky CV flange present in both the GT500 and GT, you would need a "cobra" (03/04) flange as used by some of the driveshafts out there which have you replace the flange with an "old" style simple flange...

Doing so increases the required length of the DS by just a bit though - so there is some cutting required...

Not sure I fully understand what you are trying to do here though - PH has a GT500 shaft which goes between the 8.8 rear common to the GT and GT500 and the TR6060...

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The GT 500 driveshaft & pinion flange is different than the Mustang GT 05-07.The rear ends are the same.
It is my understanding that the shaft differrs:
1. length
2. front flange on the TR6060 different than the 3650

How does the rear flange differ? As I mentioned, I have a TR6060 connected to a GT 8.8 using "off the shelf" 1 pc shaft parts from PowerHouse (by "off the shelf" - I mean I simply asked for GT500 parts)...

So, if that bolts up to my GT rear without mods, I am confused as to how they differ?

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Parts not the same

The GT 500 driveshaft & pinion flange are not the same as the 05-07 Mustang GT,the rear ends are the same,but not the pinion flange.I need a pinion flange for the GT 500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The GT 500 driveshaft & pinion flange are not the same as the 05-07 Mustang GT,the rear ends are the same,but not the pinion flange.I need a pinion flange for the GT 500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am ready and willing to believe, but let me explain in detail why I don't yet:
1. I have a GT500 transmission (TR6060)
2. I have a 1pc ds from PowerHouse designed to bolt into a GT500 without modification (no new flange - they DO use an "adapter plate")
3. I have a GT (not 500) rear-end
4. it all fits together...

When researching this assemblage of parts I was told by Ford and PowerHouse that the GT500 driveshaft does indeed differ from the GT because the TR6060 is not the same length as the TR3650. But both are 2pc shafts and have a CV joint at the rear.

So, here are some pictures:
1. the stock 05 driveshaft that came out
2. the stock 05 flange
3. the TR6060 + PH DS + GT rear with no new flange
4. the "cobra" flange that spyder and others use in place of the CV flange rather than the "adapter plate" that PH, Denny's and others use... ( is this what you are looking for? You can use it and get rid of the clunky GT thing, but your DS will have to be cut a little longer to do so...)

So, if this fits together - what could be different about the GT500 flange that would allow this to work?

BTW - PMP posted the part number for the GT flange in the other thread about this topic...

25466e237c04a70.jpg

249969435.jpg

25466e25bd26781.jpg

25466e237c7ebb9.jpg

Last edited:

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Pinion flange

Did you buy a GT 500 driveshaft from Ford??? Is the slip joint in the middle & full size(OD)??The pinion flange that is on the GT 500 is different than on the GT,it has four bolt holes,i will get you more info about why it is different tomorrow.

Reaction score
The GT500 shaft is the same as the Musatng GT shaft by design, the ONLY difference is the length.
The 500 and The GT use the same exact pinion flange, They are one and the same and completely interchangable.
The mating flange on the 6060 and the 3650 are also the same bolt pattern. Maybe even the same part.

The GT500 shaft is not any stronger than the Mustang GT shaft.

Born To Run

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
GT 500 Driveshaft

I don't know what you are looking at,but we have 6 Shelbys GT 500's they all have a drivshaft with a 4 bolt pattern to the pinion flange,the driveshaft has no hanger bearing,but does have a full size slip joint in the middle & is a hell of alot stronger than a stock Mustang GT.Is this what you have seen?????

Reaction score
All of GT500's we have had in the shop have had a shaft that looks identical to that of the mustang GT, Same CV joint in the middle, same carrier bearing. The only difference is the length.
They may have changed in the last few months of production.
The shaft that you have described sounds an awful lot like what is found in the V6 cars.

trill gear head

forum member
Reaction score
Back from the dead...Will the stock gt500 driveshaft mate up to a stock gt 8.8 rear end? Or will I need to buy another part?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back