Hood struts for Steeda hoods

silverpoison

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
do you have any that would work, I used to have the MRT ones but I didn't like them for the Steeda hood because the hood was not sitting flush with the rest of the car.

Thanks,

Ed

Last edited:

Rangersfan

forum member
Reaction score
We actually recommend using the stock hinges on our hoods. The props can actually bow the hood because they are set up to hold up stock hoods, and that can be too much pressure for the aftermarket ones.

silverpoison

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ed I am going to try these http://www.uprproducts.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1090 on my hood. I saw them on the UPR car at FFW last year and they look much better than the pics show. I think they will work fine as I think what is making the hoods bow is overcoming the force in the gas cylinders when you close the hood.

Earl

Earl, do you have the steeda cowl as well? please let me know how they fit, I am tired of the stupid stock rod.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't have a Steeda hood but I do have a fiberglass hood (Saleen).
I used the MRT hood strut kit because it mounts at the factory hinge points.

yhst-35773164622644_2011_61945340

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Earl, do you have the steeda cowl as well? please let me know how they fit, I am tired of the stupid stock rod.
Yes I have the Steeda race hood but I haven't installed it yet as I have to modify it to clear my intake pipe. I did check the fit on the struts when we were test fitting the hood and they will be fine.

Earl

06gt4rad

forum member
Reaction score

See that's how I looked at it as well. But i also contacted Steeda about this and was also told that i could not use these with there hood Which i am puzzled by since they also sell these struts. Technically i guess you could merely disconnect them and close the hood since they do disconnect fairly easy.

N

navbtcret

I had these on my CA Dream hood and after about nine months it started bowing on the sides and did not set flush with the fenders any longer. I remove them and after a week or so the hood went back to it's original shape(thank god). I hate the prop rod also but if you have an aftermarket fiberglass hood you may want stay with the prop rod. I would love a set of hood struts that would not mess up my hood.

Rangersfan

forum member
Reaction score
I had these on my CA Dream hood and after about nine months it started bowing on the sides and did not set flush with the fenders any longer. I remove them and after a week or so the hood went back to it's original shape(thank god). I hate the prop rod also but if you have an aftermarket fiberglass hood you may want stay with the prop rod. I would love a set of hood struts that would not mess up my hood.

That's why we don't recommend them. If you get struts that are not that strong, they won't hold up the hood, and if they are too strong, they'll bow it. A pain in the butt for sure, but the benefits of the hoods outweigh having to use a prop rod.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
A pain in the butt for sure, but the benefits of the hoods outweigh having to use a prop rod.
I guess that is a matter of personal taste. I really really really hate prop rods much more than I like any of the 'glass hoods. hehe

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Anyone have anything to add to this thread? Picking up the ultralite cowl, and would like to use my hood struts (they're not rated to hold heavy hoods, just the stock one and similar weight); these mount on the fender and hood latch only.

Does a strut laying parallel to the fender/hood when closed have any gradual impact on bowing, especially when secured to the hood hinge only?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back