How to tighten rear damper rod nut bolt to spec

Quinchi

Reaction score
Here is a stupid question I've been meaning to ask: I recently installed Koni STR.T shocks/struts but I can't get the rear shock rod nut torque to spec (I believe it was 30 lbs.foot as per chilton) Anyway the rod keeps spining as I turn the nut. :lol2: Top of the shaft is a weird shaped geometry, straight on 2 sides and curved on the other 2 walls. I can't simply hold it with a wrench since its not hexagonal geometry. I tried vise grip but rod is too thin and I was afraid of damaging it. And the rod shaft is only exposed at the top since dust cover plastics cover the hole thing underneath.

I am wondering if an impact wrench, which I don't have :damnit: would make any difference? Or any other way to tighten that sucker to specs?

lindertw

forum member
Reaction score
Here is a stupid question I've been meaning to ask: I recently installed Koni STR.T shocks/struts but I can't get the rear shock rod nut torque to spec (I believe it was 30 lbs.foot as per chilton) Anyway the rod keeps spining as I turn the nut. :lol2: Top of the shaft is a weird shaped geometry, straight on 2 sides and curved on the other 2 walls. I can't simply hold it with a wrench since its not hexagonal geometry. I tried vise grip but rod is too thin and I was afraid of damaging it. And the rod shaft is only exposed at the top since dust cover plastics cover the hole thing underneath.

I am wondering if an impact wrench, which I don't have :damnit: would make any difference? Or any other way to tighten that sucker to specs?

an 8mm open end wrench will fit the flats on the top of the shock rod

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score
30ft-lbs isn't a lot.

If you are twisting an open end 8mm wrench out of your holding hand with a wrench in the other, I'd say that's tight enough.

Do you "smush" the rubber grommets/bushings?

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
I just tighten till grommets are smashed. If they came with non locking nuts I would use blue thread lock.

Quinchi

Reaction score
30ft-lbs isn't a lot.

If you are twisting an open end 8mm wrench out of your holding hand with a wrench in the other, I'd say that's tight enough.

Do you "smush" the rubber grommets/bushings?

I don't think they are "smashed". I checked right now, I can turn the bushings by hand. :crazy: 8 mm wrench was too big for that thing. Its probably a 6 which I don't have (7 mm was also big).

I just tighten till grommets are smashed. If they came with non locking nuts I would use blue thread lock.

Luckily they came with locking nuts :thumb:

psycho bob

FISTER
Reaction score
for just 30lbs of torque you could just go buy a cheapy wrench to fit it. even just go to the local parts store and they'd let you borrow it in the parking lot

california gt

senior citizen member
Reaction score
The directions (pictures) for my Koni Sports specifically show that you should not mush the grommet.
You can and should double nut them,

GeorgeInNePa

forum member
Reaction score
I don't think they are "smashed". I checked right now, I can turn the bushings by hand. :crazy: 8 mm wrench was too big for that thing. Its probably a 6 which I don't have (7 mm was also big).

Luckily they came with locking nuts :thumb:

Go to your local Sears, Ace, whatever name hardware store and buy a small frame adjustable wrench. That should fit...

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
didnt have a M6 wrench, but a 7/32" wrench fit perfect on the tip of the "bolt", just in case you have fractional wrenches, /shrug . I just had to undo a nut from that style of shocks, luckily, my aftermarket coilovers had a hex insert instead of the 2 flats style

do you have a piece of small diameter pipe you can slide over the wrench to get more leverage?

ct07gt

forum member
Reaction score
I would say no to the impact wrench idea. I used a crescent wrench for my Koni Sports, wish I could say I did more than assume what was tight enough.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
After carefully snugging my Koni shocks to spec and being oh so careful not to overtighten them, I drove on them for about 6 months and they were clanking like crazy. A very careful and judicious application of the impact wrench snugged them down until the rubber bulged a bit more and no more clunking! Using an impact doesn't mean you have to run the nut or bolt down until it won't turn any more.

Jeffk

forum member
Reaction score
Get a buddy who has the Kungfu grip to hold the top half of the shock under the car and tighten the nut?

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
"Smash" is not really the appropriate word. You want to tighten the nut until the bushings are compressed. If you compress them too far, they well deteriorate quicker and cause noises.

gil_t2

Love Nitro in the Morning
Reaction score
There is a socket that fits the top of the shock, there are 2 or 3 sizes. most parts stores have them. Or just tighten till the bushing bulges just to the outer edge of the washer.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back