illuminated footwells

Defiance GT

forum member
Reaction score
I bought some led strips to put in the footwells for a ghetto ambient lighting feature but, I had to wire them to a switch and I would really like to have them come on when I open the door, does anyone know how to do this its a simple two wire strip + and -. I'm not the best with electonic diagrams so thought I should ask first. I was looking to do it the same way with the map lights and the auto on radar detector but, then that means the lights will always be on. Please help. Thanks a lot .

DON SVO

Reaction score
As long as you tap into a power course that the Lighting Control Module operates, you should be OK. might want to go up a size in the fuse for whichever circuit you tap into.

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
As long as you tap into a power course that the Lighting Control Module operates, you should be OK. might want to go up a size in the fuse for whichever circuit you tap into.

LEDs take virtually no power whatsoever. You could light the whole inside of the car with LEDs and not need to up the fuse size of the tapped cicruit. My .02

Defiance GT

forum member
Reaction score
Hahaha but since you wire the radar into that that means they will be on the whole time like when I'm driving and I don't want that. I have led dome lights and they seem to glo slightly when theyr not supposed to be on?

SilentScope

Chemist by profession
Reaction score
I did my footwells.

Tap into the wire behind the light switch, that way you can dim it. I think its the orange/white one. voltmeter is your buddy.

I had to use an additional dimmer attached to the dim wire because they were too bright.

Defiance GT

forum member
Reaction score
The biggest thing that keeps poping up is I want someone to tell me directly just to like triple check they don't stay on while driving if you go through the map light?

SilentScope

Chemist by profession
Reaction score
i attached mine to the parking lights wire behind the light switch actually.

my footwells only come on when my lights are on.

But they dim when i use the dimmer switch. i have no idea how i connected it...

i can check if you need.

SilentScope

Chemist by profession
Reaction score
mine only come on when my lights are on. pointless having them on when its day time.

Mine are dimmed and dont bother me at all

sid

forum member
Reaction score
OK, if you want them to operate only when the dome light comes on (open/close door) then tie them into that circuit. There is a grey connector on the smart junction box(sjb) C2280F (26pin on the back of the SJB, close to the edge) Pin 26 (black w/ light blue stripe) is the power to the to the dome lamp. Pin 25 (light green w/ yellow stripe) is the ground for the dome light. Hook you power and ground to dome light power and ground.

If that connector is to hard to get to then you can splice in behind the passenger side a-pillar trim where the wiring for the dome light runs. Use the same color wires (black w/light blue stripe is power, and light green w/ yellow strip is ground.) Connector C913 is located behind the trim. (a black 10 pin connector, pin 6 is power and pin 7 is ground- just for reference)

Hope this helps.

Defiance GT

forum member
Reaction score
Ok thanks for the help I will have time tomorrow I will try sids if it doesn't work I will go on upwards through the tread and test them out I hate electronics but, a dream vison makes you do shit you don't want to do.

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
OK, if you want them to operate only when the dome light comes on (open/close door) then tie them into that circuit. There is a grey connector on the smart junction box(sjb) C2280F (26pin on the back of the SJB, close to the edge) Pin 26 (black w/ light blue stripe) is the power to the to the dome lamp. Pin 25 (light green w/ yellow stripe) is the ground for the dome light. Hook you power and ground to dome light power and ground.

If that connector is to hard to get to then you can splice in behind the passenger side a-pillar trim where the wiring for the dome light runs. Use the same color wires (black w/light blue stripe is power, and light green w/ yellow strip is ground.) Connector C913 is located behind the trim. (a black 10 pin connector, pin 6 is power and pin 7 is ground- just for reference)

Hope this helps.

That is where I tapped into mine, and at the time, it was the easiest place I could find to do it.

Ok thanks for the help I will have time tomorrow I will try sids if it doesn't work I will go on upwards through the tread and test them out I hate electronics but, a dream vison makes you do shit you don't want to do.

It seems like you are not believing us. I already told you that I had mine hooked up as mentioned above. It works exactly like you are saying you want them to work. On when you open the doors, fades out if car not started, off when you start the car, controlled by the dimmer switch (just like the dome) for turning them on when you want them on for looking in the floorboards.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back