Just re-stitched my steering wheel. Here's a How to if anyone cares.

eddypython

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, so I've seen lots of guys do it on the forum but not one posted a how to on it. So after a while of pondering if I should do it or not, I said oh what the heck. And in the mean time took pics to help others on the forums with their decision. So enjoy..

First tools you will need.

Thread: Closest to the OEM size is 138. I bought the thread from here.

http://www.thethreadexchange.com/mi...=TTE&Category_C ode=polyester-thread-size-138

They have colors galore. Pick your own. I picked Scarlet.

You will want to buy polyester thread. Holds longer, UV resistant ( so it doesn't fade ) and it stays cleaner longer.

Next you need some needles for the job. A quick run to wally world ( Wal-mart ) and $2 and got these
IMG_2509.jpg

Next, I went to harbor freight and bought me a set of exacto knives, although any sharp blade will do for this job. I liked this kit because it serves me for multiple jobs.
IMG_2501.jpg

So first I removed the spokes off my steering wheel. Just shove your fingernails in the outside edge and pull up. They come right off.

Before
IMG_2498.jpg

after
IMG_2499.jpg

Next I took a thick needle and pulled on the OEM thread at the edge, and once I pulled it up I cut it with my exacto knife.
IMG_2505.jpg

IMG_2502.jpg

Next step is easy. Just use the thick needle and undo the strand one at a time
IMG_2506.jpg

Once the thread has been removed I threaded my curved needles with about 2 feet worth of thread each and tied them together at the other end, thus forming one continuous thread.

I introduce each one from the underside of the leather towards the outside and threaded down about 3-4 holes each, just to hold the leather tight at the edge.
IMG_2514.jpg

IMG_2516.jpg

Then I parked one needle and used just one to go all the way down to the other end. Just follow the old pattern. It’s VERY easy. ( Thanks to the curved needle )
IMG_2520.jpg

Then just bring the other needle into action and follow the old pattern. I just threaded this thread over the old thread so I have uniformity. ( pay attention or it may look odd if you are OCD like me about projects lol )
IMG_2525.jpg

Once you get to the other end tie a knot with the needles under the leather. Sounds more complicated than it is. It will be covered by the spokes anyways, so no worries if your knot is not pretty.

Then turn the wheel and do it all over again. There are going to be a total of 3 sections. The top is the most tedious due to the length.

When it's all said and done, pop the wheel spokes back on and enjoy the refreshed look.
IMG_2529.jpg

dgann3

forum member
Reaction score
wow....that looks awesome, but no way in the world i'd have the patience for it. i envy you sir

amustangrocks

forum member
Reaction score
now that diy project is incredible. great job and look and nice writeup too. :clap: really? for anyone that cares? we all care so hats off to you my friend on a job well done !!! shute, i wish i had the leather wheel, i just have the basic plastic

Last edited:

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
That's awesome, really gives it some good contrast and transition from the spokes and leather.

twisted_GT500

forum member
Reaction score
looks really good! I was looking at having to do this if I get the new wheel I want. Highly considering getting the 11-12 GT500 steering wheel with leather/suede, but the majority of them I've seen comes in white stitch.

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
That is a really nice touch, and a really good write up. I wish my wheel was wrapped, I would do it immediately.

sinabite

forum member
Reaction score
looks AWESOME.......thanks for the thread....I'm going to attempt this mod this weekend with some Grabber Orange leather that I have to match my interior

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back