Let's Build A Killer Track Car!!!

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Can u tie the rear shock towers together on a vert ?
Yes

Don't laff at the BMR boxed sub frame connector's. Once welded in, they add a lot of rigidity.

I'm not discounting that they add rigidity. Only that they probably won't add anything measurable to a car with a tied together cage.

Take a cardboard shoebox with the lid off. Twist it with your hands. Easy right? Now put the lid on and tape it and try to twist it again. Not nearly as easy and you will probably crush the box before you get it to twist. That is what putting a cage in does.

Now take that open box again and tape 4 layers of shoe box material to the bottom and twist. It will still twist pretty easy. That is what the subframe connectors do.

Of course, all this stuff is extra weight. You could cut down on some of the weight by using 4130 Chromolly. DOM would be a bit heavier than CM for similar strength.

The cage will be CM.

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
I was planning on going with the Canton T Stat to match my Canton filter. Still am.

images
I ran one of these on my 240SX track car and liked it. Only downside is that if the canister is above the oil pan and/or take-off plate (which it will likely be), oil will drain back into the pan when the engine shuts off. You can buy an Anti-DrainBack (ADB) valve though...I bought mine from an aircraft hardware supplier. It's a simple flapper design with low flow restriction. PM me if/when you get closer and I can locate the source. Or at a minimum help you sort through results on The Googles.

If you need spare filters and o-ring kits, LMK. I have some that may work that I'd let go for the cost of shipping them.

Here are a few pictures of the 240SX setup:
filter_02.jpg

Plumbing_01.jpg

Given you want to run a CM filter, the sandwich adapter will not work. And while I know that opinions are like a$$holes, most of them are cast aluminum garbage anyways. My preference, and goal when I get to it, is to run something like this Moroso piece.
710-23687.jpg

It appears identical to FR P/N M-6881-M50, which is $188 through Jegs. If you decide you want the "genuine" thing you can get it for $143 through Tasca.

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
I was browsing the Improved Racing site today and noticed they have their 185*F and 215*F thermostats on sale for $84.50 each as "scratch and dent" units, sans fittings. Sold.

EDIT: Looks like there was only one 185*F one. Mine.

Last edited:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Thanks guys/ I was running the Canton filter on my 3v. I will re-use it on the 5.0. I even have a box of filters.

Interesting tid bit on the check valve. I never thought of that. And ran my 3v without one. Looks like I got lucky. The valve looks like a Kinsler. I've run those one fuel systems. I have one -8 and and three -6's in the cabinet. Too bad I don't have a -10. Looks like I will be getting another one.

My partner ran the Canton T-stat on his 3v. It worked well. And looked good. And matches the filter. I like stuff that matches, LOL.

Ends p I'm not running a sandwich plate. A buddy has the adapter off of a BOSS/R. That will work out nicely.

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
My mistake, I was doing it on my phone and I guess I forgot to put the picture in before I linked his profile in the post.
No worries...you piqued my curiosity with your initial post.

I wonder how that differs with what I bought earlier today. Initially I thought one was just an older version of the other, but the P/N difference makes me think twice about that theory.
FSM-185_6_lg.jpg

Last edited:

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Yes

I'm not discounting that they add rigidity. Only that they probably won't add anything measurable to a car with a tied together cage.

Take a cardboard shoebox with the lid off. Twist it with your hands. Easy right? Now put the lid on and tape it and try to twist it again. Not nearly as easy and you will probably crush the box before you get it to twist. That is what putting a cage in does.

Now take that open box again and tape 4 layers of shoe box material to the bottom and twist. It will still twist pretty easy. That is what the subframe connectors do.

The cage will be CM.

Your proposed cage in a vert is welded to the floor area / trunk area etc. That's not the same as a coupe. It's still a shoe box with lid off.

See terry's post #18. "Convertibles are probably the worst cars you can think of to use for a "track day killer". The chassis are a big floppy mess and even when fully caged that are not as rigid as their factory coupe counterparts."

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Shoe box with the lid off and a bunch of straws glued to it and to each other in a 3-D puzzle, perhaps . . . it's more about how much stiffness you can add with the straws.

It's a long read, but IIRC they managed to add quite a bit of stiffness by adding only a few tubes to this car even though it was fairly rigid to begin with.

Norm

ExSRT8Guy

Been There, Done That
Reaction score
Shoe box with the lid off and a bunch of straws glued to it and to each other in a 3-D puzzle, perhaps . . . it's more about how much stiffness you can add with the straws.

It's a long read, but IIRC they managed to add quite a bit of stiffness by adding only a few tubes to this car even though it was fairly rigid to begin with.

Been staying on top of this thread because I used to race bikes, as well, but I like tracking my coupe (with the windows down :gr_grin: ). Norm's referenced article is a good read. Being a part of SAE was probably the most curriculum-related fun I had in college, and the guest speakers were always interesting.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score

Norm

"With strategic placement of structural members the tor-
sional stiffness of the final design by 232% over the base-
line Hopkins chassis design. The weight of the final
design was W = 821 lb, an increase of only 40 lbs. "

232% improvement...with only a 40 lb increase is nothing to sneeze at.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
No worries...you piqued my curiosity with your initial post.

I wonder how that differs with what I bought earlier today. Initially I thought one was just an older version of the other, but the P/N difference makes me think twice about that theory.

I would have to try and find the actual post with the one he used. This was just one that I grabbed from the same forum where Steve had said that's what I used.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I'm going a different direction. The Vett-Cart". The Roadkill guys did it with a old POS C4 Corvette. I'm going to use a C6 and it will be a LOT nicer than what they built. 1700ish # and 475ish to the wheels with 315 "slicks" at all four corners, Penske dampers, big brakes, ALL the coolers, etc. Basically a sportbike with 4 wheels and two seats.

Despite being a cobbled together POS theirs works really well.

This is after they did a few updates. Start watching at 18:00.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
thats pretty awesome, you should try and make it awd just for shits and giggles

barbaro

forum member
Reaction score
I could. And I suppose it's an option. I'll have to look at what the swing in money would look like to do that.

I can make different bracing (and probably more effective) to work with the Watts no problem. I have access to a full blown real deal chassis shop that does those stupid fast drag chassis.

My 07' had a 3.4L Whipple and I kid you not 75lb in additional IC components. Along with a ton of other heavy duty big HP components. Even the fuel system was heavy! LOL

So far 95% of track day guys can't keep up with me when I'm driving average on real deal daily driver compound street tires. Yeah, there will always be someone faster. But not many. 10yrs of racing superbikes infused me with a ton of skill, feel and confidence. I have a pretty big edge when it comes to experience. And if someone is a little faster I can always give them a hard time I was hanging in there with a convertible Mustang.:clap:

"Man, you're hauling ass in that Porsche GT3 with slicks man!!! That thing is sweeeet!"

"Yeah, I was the guy in the convertible Mustang street car on traded tires hassling you".:whistle1:

10 years of racing superbikes. Damn. Sounds like some extremely dangerous fun. Every guy I knew who raced bikes could drive like hell. You will find a way, I am sure you're a heck of a driver. Good luck interested to see how it turns out.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back