forum member
Reaction score
I wonder if you can get cobalt gauges with a black outside ring

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Top gauge is an aeroforce interceptor.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Only complaint I have about the SOS is that mine has an obnoxious buzzing rattle. I'm sure it's fixable just haven't been real driven to mess with it since the car sits in a 20 degree unheated garage atm.

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
Given the choice again, I would opt for the dash mounted gauges. The gauges tend to block your view and are a bit too close to read easily. In addition, My SOS pillar pod will not stop rattling. Then there is the fact that one pod won't hold the gauge tight enough and the next pod is too tight to remove the gauge. Honestly, I've spend hours fussing with it and it still isn't quite right. Moreover, it is a stock A-pillar with 3 plastic gauge housings riveted on. There is no reason you couldn't make one identical for $10 bucks using your existing a pillar.

Last edited:

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Glad it isn't just mine that has the rattle problem. I was beginning to think I was the only one. lol

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
Guys know that, I think it's Alan, at SOS will take care of it right away if you send him an email. Mine doesn't rattle and I don't have a problem with the pods being too tight. What kind of gauge is it? One of mine was slightly loose but SOS tells people that's a possibility and to just use a little tape around it to snug it up, works perfectly.

Sure it's only a OEM A-Pillar with the pods riveted on but where are you going to get the pods to do it? Than on top of the cost of the OEM A-Pillar.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i did search and didnt find a thread on this but lets see what gauges your using and which sos pod you use

1028091322.jpg

tigerhonaker

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

NjsGT

Back in the game....
Reaction score
sub'd... cool thread... i have a dual autometer pod with autometer ES gauges.... no need to post pics...

waldog, awsome setup. love the CF, parchment, and black door inserts....

speedofsound

The gauge pod guy
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Only complaint I have about the SOS is that mine has an obnoxious buzzing rattle. I'm sure it's fixable just haven't been real driven to mess with it since the car sits in a 20 degree unheated garage atm.

Take a look at this thread, if you haven't seen it already. This may/may not provide a fix for you, but there's some good info in the thread:

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10985

Given the choice again, I would opt for the dash mounted gauges. The gauges tend to block your view and are a bit too close to read easily. In addition, My SOS pillar pod will not stop rattling. Then there is the fact that one pod won't hold the gauge tight enough and the next pod is too tight to remove the gauge. Honestly, I've spend hours fussing with it and it still isn't quite right. Moreover, it is a stock A-pillar with 3 plastic gauge housings riveted on. There is no reason you couldn't make one identical for $10 bucks using your existing a pillar.

Why didn't you make JUST ONE attempt to remedy the situation with us? That's all it would have taken.

The instructions cover your gauge fitment complaint quite clearly, did you get those in the box (or read the pdf on our site)? I never have an issue that requires more than a minute or two to adjust to a very precise fit, even in a worst-case situation.

Please compare our pillar to our competitors on the subject of forward vision. I trust you will see just how little our product impedes visibility in comparison. Ditto for the "too close to read" part. An SOS pod leaves all gauges forward of the steering wheel, our competitors put the top pod right at your left eyebrow. Not only is that a bit annoying, but it is a HUGE safety issue! Since we're adding something that's not originally there, yes, you're going to see it. If you got the dash pod, you may not like seeing the reflection of the gauge bezels in the glass on a sunny day.

Struggling with this for several hours does not seem necessary to me for any reason, perhaps you should take this to a professional shop you trust to look at it? Or maybe you should just drop that 10 bucks and make a new one, and PLEASE let me know how that turns out!

You've got a long winter season up there, so please contact us about warranty repair if you wish to go that route. If you don't feel like bothering with it anymore, I understand that too. I don't like that you're not pleased with our part, and really wish you'd let me know before you wasted all that time. I'm certain we could have saved you quite a bit of it.

Last edited:

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I may look into it next year when I feel like working the problem. There are mulitple possible causes.

I can only say a few things with certainty at this point. The rattle was not there before the gauge pod went in. It is not the gauge bezels or the pods themselves doing the rattling. I can push against the trim portion of the pod even along the top and if I apply pressure the noise goes away. It isn't obviously coming from the bottom which is where that TSB tends to imply the problem would be.

waldogt07

forum member
Reaction score
waldog, awsome setup. love the CF, parchment, and black door inserts....

Thanks man!!! Much appreciated!!! All I have left to do on the inside is to two tone the leather Tan with Black inserts....That I think will finish off the inside...because I already have a set of black custom floor mats...so one last thing to do and then I can officially say I am done on the inside...Thought I would never get to say that...lol...it seems like it is never ending this freaking mod bug...

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My personal favorite is probably the charcoal dual pillar with a Nexus setup. So clean looking to me, but it's a costly choice. Seems like I never like anything cheap, dammit! The same setup in a triple looks great, but the dual has always been my personal preference.

Dual pod in charcoal with Nexus gauges... older crappy pic (and a dirty car)

picture.php

Alan hand delivered this pod to Dynospeed when my original pod had a defect... you can't buy that kind of service...

speedofsound

The gauge pod guy
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I may look into it next year when I feel like working the problem. There are mulitple possible causes.

I can only say a few things with certainty at this point. The rattle was not there before the gauge pod went in. It is not the gauge bezels or the pods themselves doing the rattling. I can push against the trim portion of the pod even along the top and if I apply pressure the noise goes away. It isn't obviously coming from the bottom which is where that TSB tends to imply the problem would be.

First thing I would look at (knowing what you just said) is that funny little Velcro "square" fastener inside the pillar cover nearest to the dashboard. This could be loose or even missing, and would lead to a rattle that is easily fixed with that pressure. It's just a guess, but the first thing I'd look at close.

If it's not the individual pods or gauges, there is very little "hard" plastic left to make noise. I'm thinking that has to mean the noise is plastic on metal. Please keep me posted, even if it is next year when you tinker with it next.

SOS pm sent

PM replied!

you can't buy that kind of service...

Anyone IS welcome to try, though! :beer:

Thanks, I do remember that day, and it was fortunate to be right around the corner from their shop.

whyask

forum member
Reaction score
SOS you guys ever finish the cup holder gauge light project you were working on ..???

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Why didn't you make JUST ONE attempt to remedy the situation with us? That's all it would have taken.

I have to chime in here.

VP - if you had an issue and had taken a few mins to look to SOS for help I'm fairly confident that you could have solved. Alan has hooked me up several times going out of his way to make me a customer for life. He runs a top notch business and provides excellent customer service.

He spent at least an hour on the phone with me talking me thru a one off install I did on my 06 for a dash top mount. He sold me the pods at a very reasonable price (he probably didnt make much if any money on them). Then when I got my Shelby he was great when I wanted to upgrade my 2 pod pillar set up to a 3 pod.

IMHO - I've had only the best of experiences with SOS and Alan.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back