lowering suspension ride quality

jolambright

forum member
Reaction score
Yo,

Needing clarification on something and see if any better suggestions I haven't found.

I have been trying to figure out which mild drop springs that also level out the car give the smoothest ride possible. I know the aftermarket lower springs usually sacrifice comfort but some offer better ride qualities than others.

I was looking at Eibach pro or the Steeda Sport/Ultra Lights.

At first I was under the impression from Steeda's website that theirs are Progressive since their webpage states great for ride quality https://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang-coupe-sport-springs-555-8215.html

A video from American Muscle states they are linear and not as comfortable

Anyone know which is accurate?

For shocks I was leaning to Steeda's pro or Bilstein for comfort but thinking maybe Steeda is more what would work for me. I don't drag ever, just sometimes pushing it on highway.

Thanks for all the info and help.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
I have Steeda sport (not ultra light) springs on my 2010. They are linear not progressive. They lower the front about an inch and the rear about an inch and a half. I’m running Tokico D specs with them but if I were buying shocks today I would buy Koni double adjustables.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My Steeda sports are definitely a linear rate. I find them to ride very well on the street as I like things tightened up over stock.
BMR makes a lowering spring with similar rates to the stock springs, might be worth looking into.

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
I have the Eibach Pro Kit on my car, rides fine. My old ass shocks and bushings have more of an impact than the springs did lol.

jolambright

forum member
Reaction score
My Steeda sports are definitely a linear rate. I find them to ride very well on the street as I like things tightened up over stock.
BMR makes a lowering spring with similar rates to the stock springs, might be worth looking into.

The only thing I have against BMR is they don't level out the car, as in lowering rear more than front.

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What do you base that statement off of? Are you guessing by the quoted changes in ride height?

jolambright

forum member
Reaction score
Everyplace I have seen them sold states 1.5 drop on all corners. Know any place sells a set that is progressive that lowers mildly more in the rear?

I'm looking for a drop of 1 in the front and 1.5 in the rear around.

Last edited:

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Eibachs. On 3 different cars the ride wasn't that great. The last one was 06. I don't remember which set it was, but even paired with the Koni orange shocks/struts the ride was meh at best. I'd look into a linear rate spring.

What about the Bullitt springs? Aren't a couple of people running those here? Mild drop and maintain a decent ride.

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The ride depends a lot more on the actual spring rate and the capability of the dampers.
A progressive spring is supposed to supposed to start softer, then get more resistant but in practice, they are too soft when first entering a corner and are harsh on big bumps.
I went from Eibach pro-kits back to the stock SVT springs on my Focus and find the car rides and reacts much more predictably with a linear spring.

jolambright

forum member
Reaction score
The ride depends a lot more on the actual spring rate and the capability of the dampers.
A progressive spring is supposed to supposed to start softer, then get more resistant but in practice, they are too soft when first entering a corner and are harsh on big bumps.
I went from Eibach pro-kits back to the stock SVT springs on my Focus and find the car rides and reacts much more predictably with a linear spring.

When you say predictably not sure what that means when talking comfort wise.
Shame they aren't easy to swap out so could just try them all and see which makes smoother.

I have Steeda sport (not ultra light) springs on my 2010. They are linear not progressive. They lower the front about an inch and the rear about an inch and a half. I’m running Tokico D specs with them but if I were buying shocks today I would buy Koni double adjustables.

How comfort of a ride are they giving you?

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Shame they aren't easy to swap out so could just try them all and see which makes smoother.
Comfort wise, you'll feel things like a tar filled strip a lot less than with a progressive spring but things like a mid-corner bump are going to be less predictable in what the car is going to do. Something sudden like a pothole is much more likey to upset a car with a progressive spring as you'll have your soft coils bottomed out and then the stiffer part of the spring will resist compression even more.
But it really sounds like a progressive spring is more what you want so just get them.
To me, they are strictly a visual mod.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score

How comfort of a ride are they giving you?
My Mustang does not ride like a Cadillac. I have stiffer sway bars front and rear and a watts link. Normal hi way driving I set the rear shocks a little softer than the front so it does not ride like an ox cart. The dampers you choose will have more impact on your ride quality than the springs. I think progressive rate springs might make the suspension more difficult to tune. Just my opinion.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Agreed, from my personal experience the dampers IMO affect the ride quality more than springs do. Prior to making the switch from the OEM dampers to my current Koni adj yellows, I ran the OEM dampers with Eibach Pro kit springs and the ride quality seemed to be smoother and softer especially when making contact on uneven road services. However, since making the change over to the Koni yellows, the ride quality appears much stiffer and harsher even when adjusted at the full soft settings. Anyhow, if i had to do it all over again, I would've went with Bilstein HD dampers over the Koni adj yellows instead. From my understanding the Bilstein HD dampers provide much improved handling over stock without sacrificing ride comfort :shrug:

Anti

forum member
Reaction score
Except where they don’t make bilstein HDs for 05-09 anymore. :(

I tried to get them and no one has them in stock anymore.. I thought I read they discontinued them, but I have doubt atm. (HD versions also being the shorter ones for lowered rides.) If they were just on mega back order don’t tell me. I will be super sad... lol

Also, I went with H&R super sports with Koni yellows. I am super happy with them as I too wanted a smooth, but firm ride without harshness. The stroke is less with the car lowered, of course, but the suspension handles it well. I am very pleased.

Front lowers 1.7” and rear lowers 1.9” which is perfect for the leveled look on my car. The eibach pros take it a bit more lower in the rear, but put anything heavy in the trunk and you are not level anymore. Lol

jolambright

forum member
Reaction score
Except where they don’t make bilstein HDs for 05-09 anymore. :(

I tried to get them and no one has them in stock anymore.. I thought I read they discontinued them, but I have doubt atm. (HD versions also being the shorter ones for lowered rides.) If they were just on mega back order don’t tell me. I will be super sad... lol

What about if buying them at Steeda https://www.steeda.com/bilstein-mus...t-lowering-spring-kit-05-10-gt-46-228888.html

Unless if their website is just not up to date.

Anti

forum member
Reaction score
That kit is coming with b6 shocks. I am surprised steeda is selling them with that kit. Maybe the did the math and think it is ok. Calling them would be best. (I personally am not impressed with anything they sell.) Below is info on b8 vs b6 he bileteins.

“B6
is designed to work with springs that don't lower from factory, B8 is designed for springs that lower the car. The body of the B6 is longer than the B8, that's the primary difference. Dampening on the B8 is somewhere between 5 and 10% stiffer to compensate for less shock travel.”

jolambright

forum member
Reaction score
So if the B8 are stiffer that wouldn't equate to less comfort over bumpy roads?

Or is it assumed the differences is so minimal on lowered springs most people should suspect a rougher ride anyway.

RED09GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What size wheels and tires are you running? That will be the biggest factor in ride quality.

jolambright

forum member
Reaction score
I'm running 255/45/18 all around. Was deciding on possibly do 255/40/19 295/35/19 on Forgestar F14 19x9 19x10.

I know this may make it harsher which is why I was trying to figure out the best suspension lowered for it.
I will be upgrading the wheels due to using Brembo's 6 piston brake kit and wanting a staggered setup so didn't want to use their 18x9 wheels.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back