lowering suspension ride quality

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Except where they don’t make bilstein HDs for 05-09 anymore. :(

I tried to get them and no one has them in stock anymore.. I thought I read they discontinued them, but I have doubt atm. (HD versions also being the shorter ones for lowered rides.) If they were just on mega back order don’t tell me. I will be super sad... lol

Also, I went with H&R super sports with Koni yellows. I am super happy with them as I too wanted a smooth, but firm ride without harshness. The stroke is less with the car lowered, of course, but the suspension handles it well. I am very pleased.

Front lowers 1.7” and rear lowers 1.9” which is perfect for the leveled look on my car. The eibach pros take it a bit more lower in the rear, but put anything heavy in the trunk and you are not level anymore. Lol

I wasn't aware the HD's were discontinued by Bilstein? Anyhow despite the ride harshness from the Koni yellows, it's actually not really all that bad except for when going over poorly uneven road surfaces/bumps, otherwise the ride quality is smooth on well maintained, level road surfaces. What I value most about the Koni Yellows, is they significantly improve the car's overall handling especially when cornering at spirited speeds. I suppose at the end of the day, sacrificing some ride comfort in favor of improving the suspension and overall handling is a small price to pay IMO. As for the Eibach Pros taking the rear lower than 1.9"? I totally disagree, as I believe your referring to the Eibach Sportline Springs which lower the front suspension by approx 1.5" and by approx 2.0" for the rear suspension. The lowering specs for the Eibach Pro Springs are 1.3" for the front suspension and 1.4" for the rear suspension. Btw: I also have the Eibach Pro Springs on my car and they definitely do not lower my rear suspension at either 1.9" or 2.0" The max drop is at 1.5"

What size wheels and tires are you running? That will be the biggest factor in ride quality.

Not necessarily, as I went from 275-35-20" tires on 20x9.5" wheels to 285-40-18" tires (rear) 255-45-18" tires (front) on 18x9.5" wheels. Despite the 18" tires providing a taller sidewall over my previous 20" tires, it definitely wasn't what I considered as the biggest factor in ride quality. IMHO the biggest factors are type of dampers, spring rates, sway bars and LCA's along with what size wheels and tires are being ran that affect ride quality the most, at least from my personal experience anyhow :shrug:

Last edited:

jolambright

forum member
Reaction score
I think he was just saying you were thinking of the sportline and not the pro's. As the pro does not go lower than 1.5 and he said they don't go lower than 1.9 like sportlines which go to 2.

Or maybe I read it all wrong, dunno.

Mackitude

Reaction score
I went with FRPP progressive rate springs (1.5" drop front and rear) and Koni orange all around. Dramatically improved ride from stock, including killing a harsh clunk I had at full rebound in front suspension. Got the entire setup for less than $500. Installed myself in an afternoon. Here are a few photos of stance with stock 18's (before and after) and later 19's.

newtome1.jpg

newtome3.jpg

2012-09-04_11-31-06_958.jpg

2012-09-04_18-18-08_983.jpg

IMG_2528 copy.JPG

IMG_2536.JPG

Forty61

forum member
Reaction score
I went with FRPP progressive rate springs (1.5" drop front and rear) and Koni orange all around. Dramatically improved ride from stock, including killing a harsh clunk I had at full rebound in front suspension. Got the entire setup for less than $500. Installed myself in an afternoon. Here are a few photos of stance with stock 18's (before and after) and later 19's.

View attachment 71621

View attachment 71622

View attachment 71623

View attachment 71624

View attachment 71625

View attachment 71626

Just gotta say I dig those rims in the last couple photos!

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
1.9" is still higher than 2.0", right? I know that is negligible, but I am only saying I can't afford mine to be any lower and carry things in the trunk, like tool bag and drill gun, etc.

View attachment 71616

Yes! 1.9" is still higher than 2.0" and is negligible. However you were thinking of the Eibach Sportline Springs rather than the Pro Kit Springs which lower the front suspension approx 1.3" and rear suspension approx 1.4" Therefore if you don't want to go any lower than 1.9" in the rear? The Eibach Pro Kit Springs would be the right ones to go with over the Eibach Sportlines

Eibach Springs Create Custom Mustang Stance
These Pro-Kit Springs are specifically designed to give your Mustang a custom-looking drop but not so low that you experience a loss in driving comfort or experience any scraping of the bottom of your car. When combined with some high-performance wheels and tires, the result is a car that handles just as white-hot as it looks. You wouldn't have a problem upgrading to 18" wheels and proper tires, as trimming is not necessary to avoid rubbing.
Drop Rates:

• Front: 1.3"
  • Rear: 1.4"

Fits The Following Models: 2005-2010 -- Ford Mustang GT V8

I think he was just saying you were thinking of the sportline and not the pro's. As the pro does not go lower than 1.5 and he said they don't go lower than 1.9 like sportlines which go to 2.

Or maybe I read it all wrong, dunno.

That's exactly what I was saying. He was thinking of the Sportlines and not the Pro's. As the Pro's do not go lower than 1.4" for the rear suspension and no lower than 1.3" for the front suspension.

Last edited:

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily, as I went from 275-35-20" tires on 20x9.5" wheels to 285-40-18" tires (rear) 255-45-18" tires (front) on 18x9.5" wheels. Despite the 18" tires providing a taller sidewall over my previous 20" tires, it definitely wasn't what I considered as the biggest factor in ride quality. IMHO the biggest factors are type of dampers, spring rates, sway bars and LCA's along with what size wheels and tires are being ran that affect ride quality the most, at least from my personal experience anyhow :shrug:
My 275-35 20's definitely have had a pronounced change on ride quality vs the stock 18's. I like the ride much better with the 20's as the stock rubber felt soft and disconnected to me but if having a subtle ride is of paramount concern, they would not be ideal. I used to run my d-specs 3 turns out in the back when I had 18's but run 4 turns out with the 20's so that the rear isn't as stiff over bumps. I do generally agree that these cars can ride very good with a 20" wheel though.

Since the OP is planning on staying with a 19" wheel or less, the difference in ride quality of the Koni Yellows vs the Bilsteins will be less of a factor than if he/she was going to be using 20" wheels.

Anti

forum member
Reaction score
Yes! 1.9" is still higher than 2.0" and is negligible. However you were thinking of the Eibach Sportline Springs rather than the Pro Kit Springs which lower the front suspension approx 1.3" and rear suspension approx 1.4" Therefore if you don't want to go any lower than 1.9" in the rear? The Eibach Pro Kit Springs would be the right ones to go with over the Eibach Sportlines

Eibach Springs Create Custom Mustang Stance
These Pro-Kit Springs are specifically designed to give your Mustang a custom-looking drop but not so low that you experience a loss in driving comfort or experience any scraping of the bottom of your car. When combined with some high-performance wheels and tires, the result is a car that handles just as white-hot as it looks. You wouldn't have a problem upgrading to 18" wheels and proper tires, as trimming is not necessary to avoid rubbing.
Drop Rates:

• Front: 1.3"
  • Rear: 1.4"

Fits The Following Models: 2005-2010 -- Ford Mustang GT V8

That's exactly what I was saying. He was thinking of the Sportlines and not the Pro's. As the Pro's do not go lower than 1.4" for the rear suspension and no lower than 1.3" for the front suspension.

Gotchaaa I swapped the names in my mind. Lol

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
My 275-35 20's definitely have had a pronounced change on ride quality vs the stock 18's. I like the ride much better with the 20's as the stock rubber felt soft and disconnected to me but if having a subtle ride is of paramount concern, they would not be ideal. I used to run my d-specs 3 turns out in the back when I had 18's but run 4 turns out with the 20's so that the rear isn't as stiff over bumps. I do generally agree that these cars can ride very good with a 20" wheel though.

Since the OP is planning on staying with a 19" wheel or less, the difference in ride quality of the Koni Yellows vs the Bilsteins will be less of a factor than if he/she was going to be using 20" wheels.

Perhaps its the Eagle F1's I'm running in 18" is the reason for not noticing a pronounced difference when compared to my Nitto G2's in 275-35-20? as the rubber on the F1's don't feel all that soft to me, but rather feel sort of on the hard side. Maybe it's time for new tires? lol. But then again, the rubber on the 275-35-20" Nitto G2's also felt sort of on the hard side as well, but definitely felt more connected in the handling dept. I also agree the difference in ride quality of the Koni Yellows vs Bilstein will be less of a factor knowing the OP is planning on staying with a 19" wheel or less rather than make the switch over to a 20" wheel/tire combo.

Gotchaaa I swapped the names in my mind. Lol

No worries Ray, as it happens to us all sometimes lol.

-Rocky :beer:

jolambright

forum member
Reaction score
I'm a little confused about something,
So since I will be using 19's or lower and dampers won't degrade the ride quality as much, assuming using high quality ones that made at least partially for ride quality, what dictates the quality with that type setup?

I thought it was springs, dampers or wheel size for the most part.

Or your saying it shouldn't be that rough?

I currently run koni yellows on full soft and never been impressed with the comfort which I guess is my fault for getting them so that's why I was considering bilstein or steeda pro action. My front springs are stock and roush in the rear.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Just my personal opinion, but I also run my Koni Yellows on full soft and I'm also not very impressed with the ride quality, however as previously mentioned, I've learned to live with it as its a small price to pay for the improved benefits the Koni Yellows provide in overall road handling over the stock dampers. For your particular application, I would consider either Bilstein G6 dampers for the front and Bilstein G8 dampers for the rear or Steeda Pro Actions if ride quality is more important vs improved road handling. Anyhow, just saying :shrug:

Last edited:

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
I agree the Nitto G2 is on the stiff side. They feel stable at speed and pushing the curves but don’t give much warning when they let go. I can turn them into liquid on a launch.

Anti

forum member
Reaction score
I run my koni yellows at least a half to full turn up from soft. It works the best with my springs in regards to absorbing bumps, but minimizing any bounce afterwards. I will say that my opinion of a quality ride (in a performance suspension world) would be different because we are all looking for something different. I just know in my mind that I removed 2" inches of suspension travel with lowering the car and understand the shocks and springs have less to work with and can only do so much. So major bumps, like a road surface changing due to asphalt stripping will be a nightmare at speed because the travel just isn't there. Low rider life I guess.

I will say it can be leagues worse. Try running konis on full stiffness and drive a rough road. It will nearly make you sick and rock your back... Lol Stay far away from that unless you are going for gold on a smooth surface. Lol

jolambright

forum member
Reaction score
I will say it can be leagues worse. Try running konis on full stiffness and drive a rough road. It will nearly make you sick and rock your back... Lol Stay far away from that unless you are going for gold on a smooth surface. Lol

I have done that, when I first got them I thought I had it on rough and found out then. Their soft is not rough but nowhere near smooth what I was hoping for.

Last edited:

Nelson Valdes

Reaction score
Yo,

Needing clarification on something and see if any better suggestions I haven't found.

I have been trying to figure out which mild drop springs that also level out the car give the smoothest ride possible. I know the aftermarket lower springs usually sacrifice comfort but some offer better ride qualities than others.

I was looking at Eibach pro or the Steeda Sport/Ultra Lights.

At first I was under the impression from Steeda's website that theirs are Progressive since their webpage states great for ride quality https://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang-coupe-sport-springs-555-8215.html

A video from American Muscle states they are linear and not as comfortable

Anyone know which is accurate?

For shocks I was leaning to Steeda's pro or Bilstein for comfort but thinking maybe Steeda is more what would work for me. I don't drag ever, just sometimes pushing it on highway.

Thanks for all the info and help.

Nelson Valdes

Reaction score
Yo,

Needing clarification on something and see if any better suggestions I haven't found.

I have been trying to figure out which mild drop springs that also level out the car give the smoothest ride possible. I know the aftermarket lower springs usually sacrifice comfort but some offer better ride qualities than others.

I was looking at Eibach pro or the Steeda Sport/Ultra Lights.

At first I was under the impression from Steeda's website that theirs are Progressive since their webpage states great for ride quality https://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang-coupe-sport-springs-555-8215.html

A video from American Muscle states they are linear and not as comfortable

Anyone know which is accurate?

For shocks I was leaning to Steeda's pro or Bilstein for comfort but thinking maybe Steeda is more what would work for me. I don't drag ever, just sometimes pushing it on highway.

Thanks for all the info and help.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back