lowering suspension ride quality

Nelson Valdes

Reaction score
I have a 2010 mustang GT. Was on a tight budget so I couldn't spend a crazy amount of money on the lowering of my car and change of the rims and tires. I used Ford performance k lowering springs lowering the car an inch and a half all the way around. unfortunately didn't change my front struts but changed my rear shocks and bumper jounces. I had 18 by 8 bullet rims on it and changed up to 20 by 9.5 on the front and 20 x 10 velgen rims on the back. Tires are 275/35 on front and 295/35 rear. As for the handling... I can tell you anytime you lower your car and change to bigger rims and profile tires your ride is going to suffer. a rough road I personally feel every bump on the road. car handles way better you can dart in and out of turns breaking is better as well. Car sits nearly level. also anytime you lower your car you're going to need a adjustable sway bar because the rear end will push out on the driver side.

Nelson Valdes

Reaction score
I'll post a pic of the car soon. I was also going to say that my springs are progressive. If you use linear springs they are meant more for performance and your ride quality will suffer more as progressive springs will give you a better ride quality. Yea, some may not like 20's but they do make the car look more aggressive and fill the fender wells really nice when lowered. I posted a pic of mine.

IMG_20191130_091500641_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

jolambright

forum member
Reaction score
Their are some springs and dampers meant for lowering performance/handling and some that lower with comfort in mind with less performance/handling over the others.

With several to choose from they vary depending on what you want the car to ride like. Now given mustang drivers rarely choose comfort over performance from what I have seen online, some of the suspension does cater to some extent making the ride more comfortable while still being lowered.

I am just one of the drivers that likes my mustang over other cars and want the suspension mildly lowered with more comfort over the other is all. Hence the purpose of this thread.

Now mustangs lowered may not ride like a Cadillac but I can still put the best parts in for making it so that are available. But yea 20's are not for me so I'm safe there lol.

Nelson Valdes

Reaction score
I have a 2010 mustang GT. Was on a tight budget so I couldn't spend a crazy amount of money on the lowering of my car and change of the rims and tires. I used Ford performance k lowering springs lowering the car an inch and a half all the way around. unfortunately didn't change my front struts but changed my rear shocks and bumper jounces. I had 18 by 8 bullet rims on it and changed up to 20 by 9.5 on the front and 20 x 10 velgen rims on the back. Tires are 275/35 on front and 295/35 rear. As for the handling... I can tell you anytime you lower your car and change to bigger rims and profile tires your ride is going to suffer. a rough road I personally feel every bump on the road. car handles way better you can dart in and out of turns breaking is better as well. Car sits nearly level. also anytime you lower your car you're going to need a adjustable sway bar because the rear end will push out on the driver side.

stevbd

forum member
Reaction score
OP, google "digressive shock valving explained".

Bilsteins tend to ride quite firm but not harsh, especially after they've been broken in.

jolambright

forum member
Reaction score
Cool article. I can't find the information about which type any of the dampers are that I look at though. So how am I supposed to know which are each type.
Or maybe I'm blind and don't see it. Wouldn't be the first time.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
My Mustang does not ride like a Cadillac. I have stiffer sway bars front and rear and a watts link. Normal hi way driving I set the rear shocks a little softer than the front so it does not ride like an ox cart. The dampers you choose will have more impact on your ride quality than the springs. I think progressive rate springs might make the suspension more difficult to tune. Just my opinion.
Agreed. Roughly speaking, springs go to 'ride firmness', while ride harshness normally comes from the dampers.

Something to keep in mind is that may "progressive springs" really are not truly progressive, being "dual-rate" in nature where you're operating in either the soft region or the firm region, with almost nothing in between because the change from soft to firm can occur over less than 1/8" of spring compression. Easy to end up slightly overdamped for the soft region, or slightly underdamped for the firm region, or even a little of both.

Norm

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
OP, google "digressive shock valving explained".

Bilsteins tend to ride quite firm but not harsh, especially after they've been broken in.

Cool article. I can't find the information about which type any of the dampers are that I look at though. So how am I supposed to know which are each type.
Or maybe I'm blind and don't see it. Wouldn't be the first time.

As mentioned by stevbd, Bilstein falls under the "digressive and linear shock valve" category. Therefore go with Bilstein dampers!

Last edited:

jolambright

forum member
Reaction score
Technically he didn't state they are digestive shock valve. After saying to google the phrase he said how Bilsteins are firm but not harsh, I guess he was implying they are but wasn't 100% clear on that. Sorry I sometimes read things differently if he meant that.

So I started looking up each shock I was considering lol.

Is firm but not harsh meant to say more planted to feel the ground without bumps as much?

The only ones available are the B6 as the B8 for lowered are no longer made as Anti pointed out. So just go with B6 on lowered? Guessing they are supposed to be smoother still on lowered

I'm curious, where did he see it stated that Bilstein are digestive shock value?

Last edited:

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Read the link provided below under digressive and linear valves. Also, according to Bilstein's website, the B8 dampers are still listed.

https://www.bilsteincanada.com/blog/2017/11/motorsports-the-science-behind-the-valve-stack/

https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/product/bilstein-b8/

Btw: Anti never said the B8's are no longer being made. He clearly stated in his post it was the Bilstein HD dampers that were discontinued!

Except where they don’t make bilstein HDs for 05-09 anymore. :(

I tried to get them and no one has them in stock anymore.. I thought I read they discontinued them, but I have doubt atm. (HD versions also being the shorter ones for lowered rides.) If they were just on mega back order don’t tell me. I will be super sad... lol

Also, I went with H&R super sports with Koni yellows. I am super happy with them as I too wanted a smooth, but firm ride without harshness. The stroke is less with the car lowered, of course, but the suspension handles it well. I am very pleased.

Front lowers 1.7” and rear lowers 1.9” which is perfect for the leveled look on my car. The eibach pros take it a bit more lower in the rear, but put anything heavy in the trunk and you are not level anymore. Lol

Last edited:

jolambright

forum member
Reaction score
I read the page and it says Bilstein utilize linear, digressive, and compression/ rebound only bypass digressive. So basically both. I don't see where on that page it say what the B8 is.

Bilsteins website shows the B8 but have to find a retailer for their shocks as can't buy them on their website. I called a retailer next to me and they said they don't carry them...

It says in his parenthesis that HD versions are the shorter ones for lowering. Aren't those the B8 and B6 for non lowered?

The only B8 sets I find online are those sold with eibach pro springs
https://www.teambeefcakeracing.com/bilstein-46-207388.html
And that's if that's correct.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I read the page and it says Bilstein utilize linear, digressive, and compression/ rebound only bypass digressive. So basically both. I don't see where on that page it say what the B8 is.

Bilsteins website shows the B8 but have to find a retailer for their shocks as can't buy them on their website. I called a retailer next to me and they said they don't carry them...

It says in his parenthesis that HD versions are the shorter ones for lowering. Aren't those the B8 and B6 for non lowered?

The only B8 sets I find online are those sold with eibach pro springs
https://www.teambeefcakeracing.com/bilstein-46-207388.html
And that's if that's correct.

The article link I posted states all Bilstein dampers utilize both linear and digressive valve rates.

So the B8 are no longer made for our cars except the kits I found, and that's if their websites are up to date and still have them.

Found an HD that states it's B6 interesting enough, though not for our years.
https://lmr.com/item/BIL-35041382-K...MI-cCo9cW95wIVTfDACh1yiAFFEAQYASABEgJWRPD_BwE

The B8's are shorter for lowering springs, the B6's are stock height for non lowered. The HD's were discontinued and no longer in production.

If the B8's have been discontinued? Then call Bilstein at 1-800-537-1085 ask for technical support, find out what dampers they offer which are still in production and best suited for your particular application. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

I believe Tokico D Spec. single adjustable struts are shorter than stock struts.

IIRC weren't the Tokico D-Specs discontinued, if not? then perhaps the OP should consider them as a possible alternative :shrug:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
The article link I posted states all Bilstein dampers utilize both linear and digressive valve rates.
If I'm reading the correct reference, all it says is that Bilstein uses both linear and digressive valving. Nothing about both approaches being present in the same damper unless you're looking at digressive valving as being essentially linear up to whatever point the damper force starts increasing at a slower rate.

Motorsports The Science Behind the Valve Stack November 30th 2017 said:
BILSTEIN utilizes three main valve stacking combinations: linear, digressive, and compression/ rebound only bypass digressive.
That's Bilstein as a company, not as any of their specific products.

Norm

jolambright

forum member
Reaction score
Bilstein said they don't sell the B8 for our cars anymore, but said the B6 will work with Eibach or H&R springs. So meh don't know about that route.

Sucks it's such a pain replacing those. To try each for a month would be neato to see.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back