lowering suspension ride quality

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I don’t find the Tokico D Spec. listed anywhere. Yellows would be my choice.

It appears the Tokico D specs have since been discontinued. The OP currently has the Koni yellows, but wants a damper that provides a smoother ride quality.

If I'm reading the correct reference, all it says is that Bilstein uses both linear and digressive valving. Nothing about both approaches being present in the same damper unless you're looking at digressive valving as being essentially linear up to whatever point the damper force starts increasing at a slower rate.

That's Bilstein as a company, not as any of their specific products.

Norm

Actually you read the reference correctly, it was me who misinterpreted it. Therefore, my apologies!

Bilstein said they don't sell the B8 for our cars anymore, but said the B6 will work with Eibach or H&R springs. So meh don't know about that route.

Sucks it's such a pain replacing those. To try each for a month would be neato to see.

I don't agree what Bilstein said about the B6 working with Eibach or H&R springs, as the description from their website clearly states " the B6 dampers are specifically designed for stock height applications" Neither Eibach or H&R spring kits are stock height, they're both shorter than the stock springs. IMO it appears whoever told you the B6 dampers are compatible with lowering spring kits? is obviously providing you with inaccurate information.

At any rate, you may want to consider the following damper kits from Ford Performance Parts, as the website claims their dampers both provide improved handling and ride quality that are designed for both stock and lowering spring kit applications. In the meantime, I've provided the website links below.

https://www.fordracingparts.com/part/M-18000-A

https://www.fordracingparts.com/part/M-18000-C

jolambright

forum member
Reaction score
Hmm those dampers might be interesting to look at. Wonder if those are supposed to feel similar to stock lowered. Good find.

I was going to copy the email into here including the persons name but wasn't sure if that violates some rule on the forum. If not I can paste it here.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
In regards to the person from Bilstein that e-mailed you who claims the B6 dampers are compatible with Eibach and H&R lowering spring kits? it doesn't really matter if you post the person's name on here or not. All that matters is knowing the person in question provided you with inaccurate info. Therefore there is nothing really needed to prove on your end whatsoever. As for the Ford Performance dampers are concerned? call their tech support line and get the info directly from them, as that's the only way your going to find out for certain.

stevbd

forum member
Reaction score
OP, by firm not harsh I mean they have a lot of damping on slow shock movements, such as cornering, accelerating, or braking, but there is an internal valve stack that opens and tends to ‘blow off” on high speed movements like potholes or expansion joints. This tends to make the suspension feel firm overall, but sharp impacts are reduced and softened.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Another possible option is Roush front struts. Monotube type...(non adjustable). Bottom of strut to spring perch is exactly 1/2" LOWER than oem struts. Roush front springs are 1/2" shorter than oem. Roush front strut + Roush springs = 1" total front drop. (1/2" from the spring..and 1/2" from the strut)

Another spring option is the BMR series of springs. Norm can comment further. BMR GT-500 springs will also fit the 05-10 cars.... with perhaps a 1/2" drop, if that. (1-1.5" drop on the heavier GT-500 cars).

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Another spring option is the BMR series of springs. Norm can comment further. BMR GT-500 springs will also fit the 05-10 cars.... with perhaps a 1/2" drop, if that. (1-1.5" drop on the heavier GT-500 cars).
Half an inch for the front GT500 springs is about right, but the rear GT500 springs (at least the GT500 Handling springs) will drop the rear by a little over an inch, maybe 1-1/8", because the rear weights of the GT and GT500 are closer to being the same than the front weights. I originally spaced the rear springs up by half an inch to make the amount of rear lowering more closely match that of the front, but have since moved the rear up another quarter of an inch.

The GT500 Handling springs are 260 lb/in front and 220 lb/in rear, or about 20 lb/in stiffer than the handling springs for the 'regular' GT. That's about twice as stiff up front and 50% sdtiffer than out back, compared to the OE rates in 2008. But the ride isn't nearly as bad as that may sound, though having adjustable shocks & struts and being able to dial the dampers up for track driving and back down for street driving does make it nicer. Even the wife doesn't complain when the shock and strut settings are within half a turn of full soft.

Norm

Anti

forum member
Reaction score
Norm, when you say you spaced up the rear springs, what did you use? Did you use something custom or is their some aftermarket option?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
There at least used to be an aftermarket option that I don't remember whose or what the range of adjustment was. Might have been Steeda or BMR, not sure any more.

I just fabbed up my own - strictly a shim type of thing - that probably weigh a bit more than the ones I used to see being available but mine can't lose their adjustment. I'm not worried about a couple extra lbs on each side of an axle that must weigh at least 150 lbs, plus more than another hundred lbs in wheels and tires and at least 25 lbs worth of brake parts.

Norm

Last edited:

Anti

forum member
Reaction score
I agree. I ask because I don know if it is the bushings or what, but I think I've got a bit of droop on the right rear of my car since lowering. Maybe the spring didn't settle right on the bushing (whatever it is) or something. I hope it is that and not a lowering spring defect..

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back