MORE dissapointing #'s from the dyno...im done w/ s197's

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds like to me he is not interested in racing. Im guessing he wants a "high number" dyno sheet to put on a pasteboard and lean it against his car when he goes to the ricer car shows.
That's coming from someone who has numbers to be proud of, 583hp! :thumb2:

I agree, he's just caught up in all this hp number crap.. it will pass.

Last edited:

Tre06GTP1SC

South Texas Death Ride
Reaction score
That's coming from someone who has numbers to be proud of, 583hp!

I agree, he's just caught up in all this hp number crap.. it will pass.

I post my numbers as an advertisement to Wes @ TPS. The car hasn't been down the track yet since the work was done, due to the fact that there is not a 1320 here in iraq that doesnt have an IED crater in it.... :thumb2:

Trust me here in about 2-3 weeks those will be followed by a time slip.

RSKtakR

Reaction score
This is probably a complete waste of time since nobody has been able to convince you yet but I have a feeling that your problems will follow you into another car, if you choose to sell this one. Here is why:

Now, I'm not going to tell you that I have seen 9sec cars with 400hp and surely not with 3800lb curb weight. The fact is this, your car is not in a bad mood or developing a bad behavioral pattern, it is a fuggin machine, that is it. A machine is only as good as the people who maintain and operate it. Now, that being said, Don has a fairly good quote, "HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?" That is the truth, just because someone dynoed 425down and you were at 389, doesn't exactly mean that he can out run you. Had you dynoed your car another day and on the same machine, you may have made 400 and he may have shown less. It's all bullshit and there are too many variables. It is a tool to load the car for tuning, that also gives you a good idea of power output. I have run people with much stronger engines than I but my suspension was setup well, my combination (stall, cam, gear...) was good and I'd crack that ass.

On, another note, I have run the squeeze for quite a while (over 10 years) and the one thing I learned quickly was that the supplied hp to jetting tables are bullshit and you better have a wideband. Figure out the jets/hp increase on the dyno and if you are that worried add another 25hp. Look, you baselined 289hp and with the kit's figures you laid down 389hp? Cry me a river, that is pretty damn close! Understand all of this is being stated and I have no idea who this tuner is or what your AFR was at...

In closing, I think you need to get to the track, have a good time and get reacquainted with your car.

:thumb2:

i will take the car to the track and see what it does.. and i will post the dyno graph w/ the a/f later today.. the a/f was right on.. just had low WHP #'s.

Sounds like to me he is not interested in racing. Im guessing he wants a "high number" dyno sheet to put on a pasteboard and lean it against his car when he goes to the ricer car shows.

:kma: haha j/k.. um no i dont take the car to the dragstrip and i dont race it much.. and IF this car or any car i owned for that matter made great #'s on a dyno.. those #'s wouldnt be posted at a car show for the world to see.. i was just expecting the #'s to be better since other people w/ the same mods are actually making good power (320-340whp N/A) .

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
It's OK to feel disappointed if you have low dyno numbers. My intake/tune, 4.10 geared manual made 265whp. My friend's intake/tune, 4.10 geared, automatic with CMDP/UDP hit 285whp. He was on the same dyno as me, 5 minutes after I was on there. I expected to be closer to him than that and 265whp is dogshit for an intake/tune manual car.

That said I've quit worrying about it. It's trivial. Just see what happens when you actually do what counts, race the car.

horseplay

forum member
Reaction score
I made the same power as you with a 100 shot Zex kit in very high humidity. I changed some jets out after the dyno and the power moved up to 410 hp. At the track on street tires, window switch locked out of 1st it ran 12.55 @ 112mph. I went back to the track on some ET streets, sprayed in 1st but didn't get the tires hot enough and ran a 12.50 @ 116 mph. Same mods as you with a very heavy car. Take it to the track and quit worrying about a number. Dyno numbers are for people who don't race !

trill gear head

forum member
Reaction score
yes and no.. im to the point that to make good hp numbers im looking at a blower ($4-$5k) and a built motor to make use of the blower ($4-$5).. i wasnt wanting to spend that much $$ to get to a 450whp goal.. its like these motors (4.6l s197 motor) have this limit of UNDER 350whp unless you want to start pulling the motor apart etc.. my whole goal WAS to get to 450whp w/ the spray, and be around 320-340whp N/A.. i THOUGHT i had an ok combo for those numbers.. but apparently not.. i thought i was done having to spend more $$ to get to that goal, since all of the bolt on mods are done etc.. now to even get CLOSE to that goal i would have to get into the motor more (ported heads etc) and even thne i prob still wouldnt make the #'s id like to make.. are my standards to high? i didnt think so when i started all this because i see guys getting good #'s on thier N/A cars w/ these same mods all day long on here.. some even w/ the auto!!

Wow. So much miss information, so little time. I'll try and keep this short. Roush and saleen warranty these motors with their blowers making just around 400whp. Many people run these 3v's with 450whp or more for years completely reliably. And as far as having to rebuild an engine, it has been proven that Nitrous is the most dangerous form of F/I. Their have been a couple S197's that have caught on fire because of Nitrous not to mention nitrous backfire.

matt texass

Reaction score
And as far as having to rebuild an engine, it has been proven that Nitrous is the most dangerous form of F/I. Their have been a couple S197's that have caught on fire because of Nitrous not to mention nitrous backfire.

Let me fix that for you. It has been proven the most dangerous thing to a motor is bad tune or incorrect installation. Those mustangs that caught on fire were from incorrect install or not following the directions and spraying below 3000k not at WOT. Those fires were caused by the fuel in the nitrous fuel mixture not the nitrous.

RSKtakR

Reaction score
5th is overdrive and you don't have to lock it out in the tune. There's a button on the side of the shifter that turns it off.

which doesnt work. it has to be locked out while tuning .. even w/ the button on the shifter turned off, it still shifts into OD on the dyno.. and another reason the trans gets locked in 4th is so there is no shifting on the dyno because it causes the car to jerk as it shifts.

matt texass

Reaction score
Actually, it down shifts when you step on it so that would be 3rd.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back