MSD 2-Step install help

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I can't drive like that on the street.
With 540RWHP it's difficult to keep it on WOT.
It's useless as far as a ET improving device in the 3650 equipped cars and I've seen it blow mufflers out on a turbo car.
Also was a joke, hence my liking your previous post

06redgt

forum member
Reaction score
I used the CC disengage switch. When I tried using the clutch safety switch it didn't work. I remember I had a hell of a time finding any info online. It seemed like different years had different color wires. If you decide not to use a reed switch let me know and I can find out what color it was (been a while since I installed it).

If I remember right the 2-step only works when the switch closes and the engine RPM is at least 1/3 of the set value. I never had a problem of it turning on by accident.

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
It's useless as far as a ET improving device in the 3650 equipped cars and I've seen it blow mufflers out on a turbo car.
Also was a joke, hence my liking your previous post

I totally disagree. When I had a turbo it let me build boost at the line and helped my response time.

If you do not have a turbo, but bracket race a lot, 2 steps will give the ability to cut great lights. Will not make your ET better.

I don't know how you wouldn't have a switch on it. It was really easy to do and I attached it to where the bar from the clutch pedal swang in. It was a tiny micro switch with 3m double sided sticky tape. In 9 years it came off one time.

Make sure you have no cats...

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
I used the CC disengage switch. When I tried using the clutch safety switch it didn't work. I remember I had a hell of a time finding any info online. It seemed like different years had different color wires. If you decide not to use a reed switch let me know and I can find out what color it was (been a while since I installed it).

If I remember right the 2-step only works when the switch closes and the engine RPM is at least 1/3 of the set value. I never had a problem of it turning on by accident.

You can get a switch and that has "normally open" or "normally closed" so it can either be on all the time or only on when switched. That's what I did.

raredesign

forum member
Reaction score
You can get a switch and that has "normally open" or "normally closed" so it can either be on all the time or only on when switched. That's what I did.

That’s what I plan on doing. Going to use a speed of sound center console plate mount with Billet Automotive Buttons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I totally disagree. When I had a turbo it let me build boost at the line and helped my response time.

If you do not have a turbo, but bracket race a lot, 2 steps will give the ability to cut great lights. Will not make your ET better.

I don't know how you wouldn't have a switch on it. It was really easy to do and I attached it to where the bar from the clutch pedal swang in. It was a tiny micro switch with 3m double sided sticky tape. In 9 years it came off one time.

Make sure you have no cats...
I meant the "no lift shift" feature is useless. A 2 step is totally worth the investment

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score

Yeah I would want to install without at switch first. Let me know when you get a chance to look under your car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

06redgt

forum member
Reaction score
I wired it to the switch at the top of the clutch pedal assembly. There are two wires, one black and one white. I connected the white wire to the white/blue coming from the 2-step.

Any questions let me know.

raredesign

forum member
Reaction score
I wired it to the switch at the top of the clutch pedal assembly. There are two wires, one black and one white. I connected the white wire to the white/blue coming from the 2-step.

Any questions let me know.

That’s perfect.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I beg to differ about the no-lift being useless with a 3650. I missed a gear from time to time before the WOT box when power shifting and can't remember the last time I blew a run to a shift since installing it. The shifter just goes into gear much easier with it.
I can build 5 lbs of boost at the line and I can hold my foot to the floor once the car has hooked. It is a great driving aid at the track and is pretty much invisible otherwise.

I did decrease the ignition cut time as my car was a fireball machine with the default settings. I also have a straight through style muffler so no worries about blowing them open.

If you need help figuring out which wire to tap for the MSD 2 step, you can probably find the answer in the write ups available for the WOT box, they tell you the specific pin placement on the ECU harness.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
I checked N2MB WOT Install instructions and they don't use the clutch switch at the pedals. All their connections are on the SBJ and fuse box in the engine bay.

I will try what 06redgt said and tap the white wire.

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
you can hook it to either wire depending if you want + or -. Just looked at my 07, I hooked mine to the blue/yellow wire on lower clutch switch to the solid blue wire coming off the msd. if you dont have your pedal mashed as hard to the floor as you can , it wont engage and the moment you slighly deviate height, it lets go of 2step function just an FYI.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Couldn't get it to work, there are two switches connected to the clutch pedal. Which connector is the correct one?

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
I tried connecting the blue/white first then tried the blue after on both the top connector and bottom connector.

The top connector has a black and a white wire, I tapped on the white.

The bottom has a black wire and a yellow/green looking wire and again I tried to connect the wires from the 2-step (1 at a time) and nothing happened.

It's the msd 2-step that's just plug and play to our coil plugs.

06redgt

forum member
Reaction score
I did the white/blue on the white wire on the top connector...

I remember the install instructions had a point where you connect the 2-step but leave the coils disconnected and turn the key on only. If the lights didn't come on the connectors on the main harness had to be flipped. I had to flip the connectors from what they initially instructed to get it to work for me. Double check that.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Ok I'll check that, the led does light up though

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back