My 4.6L to GT500 5.4L swap

Boozshey

Reaction score
So I had the name of the thread changed so that it wasn't so mis-leading and could put the information out so if anyone wanted to use it as reference.

Boozshey

Reaction score
Yes it was, I replaced the entire harness. In order to replace the entire harness you MUST remove the dash... Also if you are going to use a GT500 cluster and want the boost gauge to use you have to use the dash harness because our harness isn't pinned for it.

Boozshey

Reaction score
Don't know the cost of the cluster, prolly not cheap though, I had a full donor car to scrap off of...

Yes, the main cluster makes the shape of an H Two top parts of the H go to up each side of the engine through the fire wall. The cross beam of the H would be what's hidden under the dash. Then the bottom two sides of the H go all the way back to the rear lights. In the middle of that harness is the harness plugs for the GT500 fuel pumps and what not.

Also there were some changes that needed to be changed on the harness. I don't know for sure if it's between years of cars or if it's between models. However, I did have to cut and solder in from my old harness:

1) Rear lights, brakes/blinkers
2) Rear Bumper lights
3) Both passenger and driver seatbelt wires
4) Clutch Neutral switch

Let me know if you have any other questions...

Reaction score
So it's the entire harness for the entire car? I didn't know that. I am removing the a/c completely, that'll help clear up some wires. I'm pretty anal about wires too. If I can swing it, I'll probably have the ecu and fuse box in the interior. I hope the fact that I have a convertible doesn't matter. I also hope with the aluminator that wiring connections won't be too difficult to mock up.

Boozshey

Reaction score
I know from looking at the actual pin location on the diagram there are different wires in different spots. I am sure you can make it happen without the actual GT500 harness so I am not going to say it's not possible.

I just know that I has access to every harness and wire from the GT500 so I used it, to include the computer, front fuse box and inside fuse box. I basically have a GT500 minus the front bumper and vin...

If you want ideas on a wire tuck, check out my other two build threads...

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27853

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33791

Reaction score
That was insane. I don't even know where to start. I really hope most of the connectors are the same as far as various engine components of the aluminator. It will help clean things up when I delete the entire a/c system.

Boozshey

Reaction score
Honestly, the absent of the a/c will only clean up a little bit...But honestly, not enough where I would want to lose my a/c. But the main part of the GT500 that I find the worst is all the damn hoses. I swear with the 3v I hated the wires everywhere. With the GT500 there are HOSES EVERYWHERE!!!!!

Reaction score
NOT THE HOSES AHHHHH!!. I hope I don't have to deal with that b/s. Oh and btw, the a/c thing is more of a requirement than a choice. I spent $100 to get the system charged when it had gone up, then found out it was a pressure transducer switch not telling the clutch to engage. To replace it meant a $50 part, then refilling the system for $100. So I just jumped the clutch to a switch and turned it on manually myself. HAHA. I popped the relief valve and sprayed freon(if the EPA reads this, it sprayed cotton candy) all over my headers and looked like the green teletubby exploded under my hood. Bye bye a/c.

Boozshey

Reaction score
$100 a pop!!! Man, you could have bought your own machine for that much...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back