My FX-R Retrofit

RedfireV8

forum member
Reaction score
How did you trim the cooling fin? I plan on installing some on my 05 GT, and don't really know how or what to use to trim them so they will fit. Will be using stock grill.

I used a Dremel which to be honest took a little bit so if you have something better use that. You'll be trimming the fins on the heat sink on the back of the driver side fog. They're aluminum fins so whatever can cut through that. You'll see what I mean when you get em.

VolDead08

Mustang Addict
Reaction score
I used a Dremel which to be honest took a little bit so if you have something better use that. You'll be trimming the fins on the heat sink on the back of the driver side fog. They're aluminum fins so whatever can cut through that. You'll see what I mean when you get em.

Thanks for the info, do you know how much I have to trim? I have them already and have them so they are plug and play, but haven't taken off the bumper yet to try to install. That's my next plan, just have to figure out what the best thing to use to trim it down with.

charlie123

forum member
Reaction score
Looks awesome great job, when I had my 06 I've always wanted to do that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk 2

VolDead08

Mustang Addict
Reaction score
Redfire, can you explain to me how you mounted them up to your factory grill. I have my mounted up and have an idea of how you did yours, but I just want to compare how I did mine with yours. Anyways, I have mine hooked up, here are some pictures of them, not the greatest, but gets the message across.
3uXjf7Gl.jpg

mnskdWTl.jpg

2PzuEJv.jpg

RedfireV8

forum member
Reaction score
Redfire, can you explain to me how you mounted them up to your factory grill. I have my mounted up and have an idea of how you did yours, but I just want to compare how I did mine with yours. Anyways, I have mine hooked up, here are some pictures of them, not the greatest, but gets the message across.

Sure. I believe I took some pics when I did mine. Give me a little bit and let me find em. I'll post up what I have and did.

Thank you sir!

RedfireV8

forum member
Reaction score
Wish I could do this myself or have the confidence in doing it. I'm looking into a FX-R retrofit now myself.

It's really not too bad man. I know it's easier said than done. I never did anything like this before and just took my time. Some of it was just reading up on what others had done and the other majority of it was having the parts in front of you and visually seeing how they all will piece together. The Retrofit Source is a great resource. They have plenty of videos on YouTube with step by step instructions of how to do everything.

Last edited:

Saleen4971

forum member
Reaction score
Also the "fuck it, cut this out and tighten that sucker down" method comes in handy at times.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
3uXjf7Gl.jpg

mnskdWTl.jpg

2PzuEJv.jpg

That's all from just the fogs?

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Looks good, could almost be used as regular driving lights.

Saleen4971

forum member
Reaction score
May be easier to run 2 wires up to the headlight switch and grab your low/high signal directly.

That is if disabling drl is that much of a pain.

RedfireV8

forum member
Reaction score
That's all from just the fogs?

Yes, that is all just from the fogs. They are aimed a little high so I have to lower them a bit, but the light output and width of them are amazing.

Looks good, could almost be used as regular driving lights.

They have actually made my headlights completely useless as of now. Plan is to retrofit my headlights, but need to disable my DRL, and it's turning out to be quite the task.

Oh yea these things are pretty bright and have a great cutoff. This is what got me to do my retrofit.

To speak a little about what I did. I used the 07 brackets to hold the 13 fogs. Being that they were a little smaller I used zip ties to hold them in place. Later when I was finished I used some JBWeld on the 2 rounded sides that slide into the bracket. Hard to describe being that I don't have a clear picture of it. I did have to repin my connector as the positive and negative were flipped in one of the harnesses. I also trimmed a part of the 07 bracket being that part of the 13 fog was hitting it and wouldn't have let it sit flush. One good thing that came from that was it allowed the fog light a place to rest and sit flat. Some pics from the process...

20753634319_8d625fde18_z.jpg

20930636882_56d9b037c7_z.jpg

20317794834_b732030293_z.jpg

20947785621_7016d0b610_z.jpg

You can see my ZipTie contraption here:
20940394135_48bc3b08cc_z.jpg

20752338530_22e9db7b6e_z.jpg

13 fog on left, 07 fog w/ led on right:
20752339610_ba264c3778_z.jpg

All done:
20940401835_887c7217ea_z.jpg

20317788494_d95f647b5c_z.jpg

Cutoff:
20753632639_a61b05cbdd_z.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/gp/74152372@N04/5879nT

VolDead08

Mustang Addict
Reaction score
Ah, I see how you did it, I pretty much did it the same way, but instead of using zip ties and JB weld, I used screws so I could use the original fog light brackets with the original fog lights again if I decide to go back, because I might retrofit the original fog lights in the future.

I got lucky with mine and had the factory harness off of a 2013/2014 car, and some old ballast laying around that I cut up for the H10 connector. I got pretty lucky in that sense.

Do you have any idea on how to fill in the gaps? It's not a huge deal, but still a pain to look at. I plan on taking more pictures when I take them out to tint them, and making a separate write up about them.

RedfireV8

forum member
Reaction score
Do you have any idea on how to fill in the gaps? It's not a huge deal, but still a pain to look at. I plan on taking more pictures when I take them out to tint them, and making a separate write up about them.

Maybe some foam weatherstrip or something like it...?

Back