Need help with clutch install

shifter87

"Go Big or Go Home"
Reaction score
About 30 degrees here, not to bad

I haven't driven it yet. I just put the engine in the car yesterday. It's too damn cold to be working out in this shit. The instructions do say to use the dowel pins which is what threw me off since the 6 bolt flywheel didn't come with any installed or included. I bought the clutch and flywheel from Spec as an assembly. It did not come with any dowel pins or the smaller bolts. I didn't receive those until I ordered a new 8 bolt flywheel. I pondered why they sent those smaller bolts too since they were not needed.

I think I am going to get that shortblock in the future definitely a great deal compared to Livernois and Brenspeed. Interesting that you have an 8 bolt flywheel I figure that would stay the same, mine is only 6 bolt. Yeah the dowel pins don't even have a place on this spec flywheel which is
weird. I didn't end up using either bolt that came on the flywheel.

How much power you looking to make out of that Novi and block? I hope over 500RWHP I hate when people go through all the trouble to forge a block and don't use but 20HP over what stock will handle but to each his own.

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
I think I am going to get that shortblock in the future definitely a great deal compared to Livernois and Brenspeed. Interesting that you have an 8 bolt flywheel I figure that would stay the same, mine is only 6 bolt. Yeah the dowel pins don't even have a place on this spec flywheel which is
weird. I didn't end up using either bolt that came on the flywheel.

How much power you looking to make out of that Novi and block? I hope over 500RWHP I hate when people go through all the trouble to forge a block and don't use but 20HP over what stock will handle but to each his own.

Yeah it's an 8 bolt Kellog crank so I needed an 8 bolt flywheel. I did hammer in the dowel pins when I received them with the 8 bolt flywheel.

I'd like to see 550 out of it and I don't think that is going to be a problem. I've got several pullies but I'd like to use the 2.87 if it's not going to be too much. I'm not scared to push it.

Last edited:

Redrocket06

forum member
Reaction score
just finished my install! But.... I cant get it in gear and as I try for a gear the car starts to creep. After I started it the clutch petal feels softer, I am going to continue pumping it and hope it fixes itself. I dont want to pull the trans again. I installed the Exedy 500 with Exedy FW and the Slave from Rockauto.

Dreadknought

HOON MONSTER
Reaction score
Yeah its going to act a little funny for the first 50 miles or so. Just spend a little while driving around town. It will work itself out after a little while and go back to behaving like stock. And you will have a little clutch chatter for the first 200 miles.

mustangflanagan

forum member
Reaction score
just finished my install! But.... I cant get it in gear and as I try for a gear the car starts to creep. After I started it the clutch petal feels softer, I am going to continue pumping it and hope it fixes itself. I dont want to pull the trans again. I installed the Exedy 500 with Exedy FW and the Slave from Rockauto.

didnt ur slave come with ur clutch. i was told with the exedy they supply it with the clutch.

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
didnt ur slave come with ur clutch. i was told with the exedy they supply it with the clutch.

That's exactly the reason I didn't buy the Exedy. None of the vendor's websites could confirm it came with a new slave. The clutch looked different in some pics, etc. I got tired of trying to find out the scoop on that clutch and just got the Spec.

Whats the info on that short block? I must have missed that post... I'm always interested in value.

If you're talking about the 302E, here's some info...

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39250

Redrocket06

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah its going to act a little funny for the first 50 miles or so. Just spend a little while driving around town. It will work itself out after a little while and go back to behaving like stock. And you will have a little clutch chatter for the first 200 miles.

Thanks, I hope so. We pumped it some more and I can get it in gears exc rev. It is hard to push in gear, but when it is in gear and you rev the car it does not creep, only creeps when putting it in gear. Feels like it is hanging up on the sencros.

Redrocket06

forum member
Reaction score
They do, but I already bought the slave from rockauto and Exedy and Brenspeed said the Exedy 500 part number for the '04's is the same clutch except it cost $360 without the slave.

Redrocket06

forum member
Reaction score
Note: for future reference the plastic elbow and metal clip fix was nothing that anyone mentioned because as far as that piece is concerned no ones problem was like mine.

The part where the clip slide into was not exposed because the plastic piece was to thick (Picture 1)

My solution was to sand the piece (Picture 1) that sets against the plastic insert (Picture 2) down about 1/3 cm with rough sand paper, then smooth out with smaller grit and blow out any shavings.

I normally think on my feet but with this job I was very off and did not have quick thinking once so ever, so if you have this problem and you read this do the above step takes 5 minutes and will save lots of headache.

That elbow looks different than mine, they must have changed them between 06-08 years.

shifter87

"Go Big or Go Home"
Reaction score
Thats probably why

That elbow looks different than mine, they must have changed them between 06-08 years.

I have been on hold for like 4 hours now because I internet went down on my home internet and my phone.

All I needed was the tq for the clutch bolts SOB this sucks. Well glad it;s up and I have the info now I can go install the trans.

mustangflanagan

forum member
Reaction score
Oh no is really easy. Its just a little metal clip that needs to be pulled out of the plastic coupler at either end. it can be done with a small screwdriver or pick. It will be pretty easy with the engine out.

Is it easy to get to the end of the hydraulic line thats on the bellhousing, i really havent gotten a chance to take a look at it but yea the motor is out, but the tranny and bellhousing is in. would i need to lower the tranny or anything?

Last edited:

Redrocket06

forum member
Reaction score
I have been on hold for like 4 hours now because I internet went down on my home internet and my phone.

All I needed was the tq for the clutch bolts SOB this sucks. Well glad it;s up and I have the info now I can go install the trans.

If I remember correctly the preasure plate tq is 33 lbs then tighten another 60*. Good luck! After you get the transmission bolted up you will be wondering and hoping you really did tq everything right, and didn't miss any parts.

shifter87

"Go Big or Go Home"
Reaction score
Fun

If I remember correctly the preasure plate tq is 33 lbs then tighten another 60*. Good luck! After you get the transmission bolted up you will be wondering and hoping you really did tq everything right, and didn't miss any parts.

Yeah going back out now I think I put the pressure plate/clutch on wrong when I lined it up there was no room for the other bolts but when I looked at the pic of the customer installed spec stage 3+ the bolts were used.

I am glad it's and easy fix although I am :asshat: .

shifter87

"Go Big or Go Home"
Reaction score
I think the flywheel is 59Ft lbs (which I did) and the clutch itself or pressure plate is 33 Ft lbs factory specs the paper that came with it said use factory specs.

Redrocket06

forum member
Reaction score
I think the flywheel is 59Ft lbs (which I did) and the clutch itself or pressure plate is 33 Ft lbs factory specs the paper that came with it said use factory specs.
Don't forget the added 60* turn on top of the 33 lbs for the pressure plate.

shifter87

"Go Big or Go Home"
Reaction score
Yep Spent last night gathering all the bolt, sockets etc and getting everything else neatly ready for installation.

jmn444

Reaction score
Damn.... I've done clutches before, and pretty sure I'll need one SOON in the '07... But this is making me re-think my normal DIY attitude!

Fast351

I can't drive 55
Reaction score
One more trip to autozone they have the pilot bearing puller(what I got) and the slide hammer separate once again fucking retarted, seeing you never use the jaw attachment without the hammer wish I would have checked so in the end it's my fault.

I guess so they can charge separate rental deposit fees $15 for the puller $30 for the slide hammer.

Find a wood dowel the same size as the pilot shaft. Pack the pilot bearing hole in the end of the crank full of heavy grease. Put the wooden dowel in the bearing about 1/4". Get a hammer and pound of the dowel. The hydraulic action will push the bearing out. Works like a charm. Of course if you want to rent the tool, that's fine too.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back