NOT Another...Yes...another auotx build thread

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
We actually recommend using an impact to install a strut top nut.

On a 22mm strut shaft we recommend a 1/2" impact gun. On a 12-14mm shock shaft we recommend a 3/8" impact gun (less torque). Trying to tighten a top nut by hand is a really good way to ruin the shaft.

Battery operated impacts are great but no torque regulation – well at least on my ½ drive used for in field wheel stud removal only. An air regulator used for an air impact is quite useful and with a little practice can get close to accurate torque values + / - 5LBs. The only problem with a strut is that the shaft spins enhancing the difficulty. Over torqueing is a real problem so prior practice is a must. You can verify the practice torque values with a torque wrench – test sample mounted in a vise. 5LBs +/- (Worst case scenario) shouldn’t hurt the strut main shaft assembly or attaching hardware.

claudermilk

Reaction score
Definitely not. I think mine says is made of "Hecho en Mexico"
That's probably a step or two better than what many have. I am certain mine says "Made in China" with small print "to be used as hammer after breaking" somewhere on it.

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
Battery operated impacts are great but no torque regulation – well at least on my ½ drive used for in field wheel stud removal only. An air regulator used for an air impact is quite useful and with a little practice can get close to accurate torque values + / - 5LBs. The only problem with a strut is that the shaft spins enhancing the difficulty. Over torqueing is a real problem so prior practice is a must. You can verify the practice torque values with a torque wrench – test sample mounted in a vise. 5LBs +/- (Worst case scenario) shouldn’t hurt the strut main shaft assembly or attaching hardware.

You don't need no stinking torque wrench on the top strut nut! Impact.

Blower pulley for the Magnacharger is supposed to be pressed on. Put the nut on. Impact. Torque wrench? Nope.

Got a decaying tooth? Impact.

FrankS trying bust your chops on grammar? Impact.

Norm Peterson getting geometrical in the emancipation of the proclamation of the suspension journal (1st through 12th edition)? Impact.

CSAmsh trying to set up the spike for Vorshlag to spike it? Impact.

Gmitch got a racecar and can rebuild a 1932 Koni friction shock absorber? Impact.

Whiskey promises you 550in/lb spring rates are comfortable? Impact.

Barbaro says the torque arm cures cancer? Impact.

SoundGuyDave says back, back, forward, roll, high punch, I just pissed my pants, but I'm not dead? Impact.

KCBrown said everyword ever made ten times to the tenth power times a million in one post? Impact.

Skyrender said I just saved three fitty by using an Eaton? Impact.

Obama said you didn't build that? Homo.

Don't ask. I have no idea.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score

Blower pulley for the Magnacharger is supposed to be pressed on. Put the nut on. Impact. Torque wrench? Nope.

Norm Peterson getting geometrical in the emancipation of the proclamation of the suspension journal (1st through 12th edition)? Impact.

Gmitch got a racecar and can rebuild a 1932 Koni friction shock absorber? Impact.

SoundGuyDave says back, back, forward, roll, high punch, I just pissed my pants, but I'm not dead? Impact.

KCBrown said everyword ever made ten times to the tenth power times a million in one post? Impact.

POTY

Give_that_man_a_cookie.png

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score

:lol:

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
:laughlots:

:laughlots:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score

Too funny :roflmao:

Norm

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Getting there...need a couple more struts and I'll be downforce ready...

15980016482_4b0b4767d3_b.jpg

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Mark has a nice spoiler now, even if he shoots with a potato-camera... :clap:

DSC_9956-M.jpg

That was version 1, raw aluminum and with 4 spoiler struts supporting the 10" tall Lexan element.

7941193048_16f78c6a93_k-M.jpg

Version 2 with the aluminum bracket painted black looked better. He got the trunk from us also, which made the install easier.

After we noticed some end deflection we went with 2 additional forward facing struts, for version 3. That's what Mark has. We had stolen a few of the spoiler struts for another customer's car but I just got 3 more inbound for him which he will get this week.

DSC_1018-M.jpg

I'm excited to see where this car ends up in ESP! As fast as we have seen S197s in ESP we know this car can be a winner. I think it needs BIG tires to win the class (and flares), but that's just me... :idea:

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Hey Terry if you're willing to toss some flares my way...I'll test your theory about winning...

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Less starchy pictures. Test with Iodine. A purple/black blotch indicates the presence of potato.

16216482761_f31d124f0e_c.jpg

16032528907_7403767c9a_c.jpg

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
I'd say it's very effective.

Don't take this the wrong way, but that is weak. I know that sounds like I am being offensive, I'm really not. Yes I know that you don't waste your time on stuff that isn't effective. Consider this as my point....someone could just put a picture of a Griggs torque arm on a car and do the same thing. Know what I mean Vern?

How much downforce do you estimate that it generates at speeds comparable to other alternatives ?

Don't be mad at me.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back