NOT Another...Yes...another auotx build thread

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I'm excited to see Mark take on the "ESP Challenge" seriously this year. I think the class is ripe for some fresh blood, what with Maderash and his potent 3rd gen Firebird finally leaving ESP (or has he?)...

DSC_4506-M.jpg

Mark had more of a "hybrid build", with a motor and transmission that never came together in this chassis, but it was a completely legal update-backdate build. Heck, I built one just like it years ago (5.7L + T5 in 3rd gen). Its a super light package. His was some uber-engine that SLP supposedly put in a dozen 1992 Firebird Firehawks, so it was extra special. ;)

He was persistent and ran the same car for what, 15 years? And he took 7 ESP National Solo titles in the car. And he tested religiously, and NEVER skimped on tires.

DSC_4613-3-M.jpg

We only ran ESP a few times, and with a class change only 2 weeks before the 2012 Nats took 4th out of 47, with a set-up that was not even remotely close to being right. We ran ESP a few times after that Nationals and even ran against Maderash a few times. His 3rd gen Firebird was beatable with a heavy S197 but it would be even easier with less WEIGHT and MORE TIRE.

DSC_9268-M.jpg

The Street Prepared game is fairly straightforward... run the lightest set-up you can, the biggest tires money can buy, as much downforce as you can muster with the restrictive ruleset of the category, run the suspension LOW and as stiff as the tires need, lots of negative camber, remove the sloppy rubber bushings, and make it ROTATE and use the best dampers you can afford to allow it to transition well. The BSP C4 above won Nationals in 2005 (the year before they allowed EVOs to come in and ruin that class) and it is just on big tires (315/335), spoiler, stiff springs, lowered, no a/c, race seats, and it has an LT4 from a later model C4 (on the same line) with headers. I've driven this car and its a go-kart.

dsc_02241-M.jpg

Bergstrom's 4.6 S197 beat our 5.0 S197 that year because he had the right spring rates (bone crushing!), bigger tires (335 out back), had aero at both ends done WELL, and was running hundreds of pounds lighter with a dedicated ESP build. And he had a helluva driver. You have to get the weight out and you cannot leave hundreds of pounds inside, like we did with our street car.

IMG_1681-M.jpg

On a big, heavy S197 I think the most important thing is still THE TIRES. If I were to build an ESP car it would look a lot like the set-up above, but with proper flares so the rears didn't rub. 335mm A7 up front on an 18x12 and a 345mm A7 on back with an 18x13. Max legal splitter (Laguna Seca) and rear spoiler, real Torsen T2-R diff, race seats, no A/C, MCS remote doubles, 800# front rates/350 rear, custom engine tuning, and the Boss302 motor + CJ intake with all of the legal engine tricks, and lightest triple disc 7.25" flywheel/clutch. It would be a bitch on the street but a monster in a parking lot.

If Mark can get the car "serious" and remove the creature comforts of this car and keep it a dedicated ESP build (no track or street use), it can get the job done - with fresh tires and good driving. I know it can.

My two cents... I'm good at spending other people's money! :hi:

Last edited:

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah Terry....if only I had an extra 15k to throw at that car. Well, it isn't a track car anymore!!!! (lol) If only there was a shop around that would do all kinds of work for free in exchange for really huge stickers and a lot of great advertising....

We'll see how it goes this year...but it will be a big step to de-street my car. I really like being able to drive it, and I live in Oklahoma, so, it's hot.

Last edited:

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Woooooo got my AST's back!!! Got them on the car and went for a drive...besides the 25 degree weather and pilot super sports not really agreeing with each other, it was great! Ride quality didn't suck....it's actually...really good? I had to check to make sure I didn't get the 550's and 800's mixed up. The AST's never cease to amaze in the ride quality department.

Anyway, the new valving and springs feel great. More body roll is gone, turn in feels a lot better with the new bump curve....looking forward to getting the new setup on course.

Also, stay tuned tomorrow for a new development in my track car situation. It rhymes with "poor debt."

white86hatch

forum member
Reaction score
Woooooo got my AST's back!!! Got them on the car and went for a drive...besides the 25 degree weather and pilot super sports not really agreeing with each other, it was great! Ride quality didn't suck....it's actually...really good? I had to check to make sure I didn't get the 550's and 800's mixed up. The AST's never cease to amaze in the ride quality department.

Anyway, the new valving and springs feel great. More body roll is gone, turn in feels a lot better with the new bump curve....looking forward to getting the new setup on course.

Also, stay tuned tomorrow for a new development in my track car situation. It rhymes with "poor debt."

Still jealous. :asshat:

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
So the Mustang is almost ready to go for the year, just adjustments to go now. Get the Watt's dialed in, change rear alignment a tad, re-do toe and get the front wheel fitment just right...little stuff like that. I still need to do something about my illegal FLCA's and the squash bushings they currently have...so that's still on the list.

16265472008_4d6265e71b_b.jpg

Also, there's a new addition to the family. 2002 Z51. Has some nice mods...headers, exhaust, intake, Sparcos, cam, twin-disc Centerforce clutch, Schroth harnesses...etc. Only plans for the time being are to get the shocks sorted out (Bilstein ASN's???) and some really big Forgestars. Can't put a Vorshlag sticker on it without really big forgestars.

It might become a TT2 build...we'll have to see. I'd have to get it to max power/weight and figure out some cool aero. Been looking at C5R pictures. Anyway, here it is.

16452219722_3b9fe0b6bf_b.jpg

16265475688_113a350334_b.jpg

15830649794_9be73f9e9c_b.jpg

2004-Chevrolet-Corvette-C5-R-Road-Atlanta-4-SA-1024x768.jpg

Kobie

forum member
Reaction score
Rear alignment? How so? Cut the axle tubes at an angle?

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
I think he means by adjusting the Watts. The Watts helps center the axle. I'm currently having trouble finding a shop that will do an alignment on mine since I lowered it. I know the axle is off centered because punching the gas makes it break towards one direction.

daveyboy

forum member
Reaction score
Love this thread, learned a fair amount. I am Planning on putting my drag racing on the back burner and do some more auto crossing and a couple track days next year.

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
... I still need to do something about my illegal FLCA's and the squash bushings they currently have...

What front control arm do you have? Or is the arm legal, but the bushing shell illegal?

Remember you can use any component from any S197 (unless they are specifically excluded) and still be legal.

Kobie

forum member
Reaction score
I was thinking alignment as toe/camber. Control arm/watts link would be more "positioning", but I guess either works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
What front control arm do you have? Or is the arm legal, but the bushing shell illegal?

Remember you can use any component from any S197 (unless they are specifically excluded) and still be legal.

Ball joint is a stock replacement of non stock dimensions, ands I want get rid of the hydro bushing, so I was going to start fresh from some stock arms

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Not specifically. It might be the same dimensions but it's not the exact part.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Not that it's incredibly relevant to what I'm doing with the Mustang this year...but I just saw a list of "potential Rival S sizes" posted on Corvette Forums that is allegedly from a guy from Tirerack, and....wait for it...295/35/18 is NOT ON THE LIST. FUCK. THAT.

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
Was just looking for Rivals myself on tirerack and I think the largest they had was 255. Wat.

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
Also, there's a new addition to the family. 2002 Z51. Has some nice mods...headers, exhaust, intake, Sparcos, cam, twin-disc Centerforce clutch, Schroth harnesses...etc. Only plans for the time being are to get the shocks sorted out (Bilstein ASN's???) and some really big Forgestars. Can't put a Vorshlag sticker on it without really big forgestars.

It might become a TT2 build...we'll have to see. I'd have to get it to max power/weight and figure out some cool aero. Been looking at C5R pictures. Anyway, here it is.

Congratulations on getting getting your strut shaft and YOUR New Purchase (The right color too). I’ve been off this forum for a while. I looked for a C-5 platform in the same color for over a year but couldn’t find one that thought was a good enough deal for a complete tear down and ended up with something I never thought I would buy again – It just fell into my lap (94GT Mustang never registered for the street) - An old TTS car that I am hopping to get track ready again by mid April. Something a bit safer so I may develop my driving skills further.

Again – Great purchase for TT2. Bury the flip up front lights and put in some fixed ones if even needed – Several people have kits - 12 LBs + minimum weight savings off the front end. Better aero at night and you will have already taken the points hit with any type of other added aero. NICE PURCHASE

Back