NOT Another...Yes...another auotx build thread

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
Are those springs the 800 #ers you have listed in your sig? I need to up mine from 450 for the track. I might also want to look into a watts. Curbs on my left wheel were fine, but hitting the curbs on the right wheel sent the rear end all out of whack.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
They are. Was writing for dramatic effect. Yeah you do need to up yours...this pic is me with 550's and street tires...but going much above that will (I fear) kill the ride. We shall see shortly, as in, later today.

DSC_2732-XL.jpg

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
The weight added by the Whiteline Watts is a tick under 16 lbs. Well worth it in my opinion.

Here's the stock parts that come off:
_DSC9774-M.jpg

And I don't have a single shot of all the Whiteline parts, but weighed them individually to a total of 29.22 lbs.

The string of photos are in this gallery.
DSC_9573-M.jpg

Arustik

forum member
Reaction score
nope. They'll stay 250.

Good idea keeping them at 250lbs I think that's close to the most I'd run in the rear. Let us know how the car feels with the 800lbs, might be a move I'm going to make for next season.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
They are. Was writing for dramatic effect. Yeah you do need to up yours...this pic is me with 550's and street tires...but going much above that will (I fear) kill the ride. We shall see shortly, as in, later today.

DSC_2732-XL.jpg

That looks better than this:

10687230_10152706356515465_6800197630773847077_o.jpg

lol

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Well I broke a strut. Tried to take the 22mm nut off the top of the strut, impact wouldn't get it, so I used two wrenches (like I have in the past...maybe this is not the best idea) and I just sheared off the top where the adjuster and everything is.

Hopefully I can get it fixed, but it looks like the 2014 season is over.

The best laid plans...

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
Well I broke a strut. Tried to take the 22mm nut off the top of the strut, impact wouldn't get it, so I used two wrenches (like I have in the past...maybe this is not the best idea) and I just sheared off the top where the adjuster and everything is.

Hopefully I can get it fixed, but it looks like the 2014 season is over.

The best laid plans...

That sucks –
I thought Vorshlag rebuilt ASTs ?

(1)You could have a new shaft machined and that should last you for the rest of the season – no street driving.

(2) Machine new shaft, harden & have ground

(3) Machine new shaft, hard Chrome, have ground

Depends upon how much time & $$$ you want to invest.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
That sucks –

(1)You could have a new shaft machined and that should last you for the rest of the season – no street driving.

They don't but there's a guy in Dallas who does. Taking it in next week to get a prognosis

SlowJim

forum member
Reaction score
That sucks –

I love how people on car forums assume all members are welders and machine shop owners

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
I love how people on car forums assume all members are welders and machine shop owners

I'm not trying to be rude but This is basic - not rocket science.
Once the shaft is pulled, any competent machine shop can get it done.

First shop - Disassembly
Second shop - Machining operation
Third Shop - Hardening or chrome process
Forth shop - Grinding
Back to first for reassembly - Pretty frigin basic and the first or second shop should be able to take care of the entire procedure for you. All it takes is time, $$$ and a phone call.

Chump car or Formula 1

All it is time & $$$$$$$$ and how much you have

Last edited:

dontlifttoshift

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know many basic machine shops with the capability to bore the shaft for the adusting mechansim. I bet its cheaper to buy a pair of struts than to repair that one with a custom machined shaft.

I find it interesting that there is a first/fourth shop on your list. Somehow the same person that is paying someone to disassemble a strut is capable of being the general contractor on something with the tolerance requirement of a strut shaft.

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know many basic machine shops with the capability to bore the shaft for the adusting mechansim. I bet its cheaper to buy a pair of struts than to repair that one with a custom machined shaft.

I find it interesting that there is a first/fourth shop on your list. Somehow the same person that is paying someone to disassemble a strut is capable of being the general contractor on something with the tolerance requirement of a strut shaft.

Here we – go – One reason I usually don’t respond on forums except when I am board and have time or in deep SHT / have no clue and need advise.

I didn’t say basic I said competent.

The first shop is the shop specializing in struts. I should have been more specific but I though that was self-explanatory.

Forth shop specializes in grinding.

I’m sending a 15’-1” shaft 8” OD. 1040 steel shaft with an approximately 10” offset eccentric out to one in the next few weeks. We welded / repaired it in house – sent it out for OD machined including cutting 3 keyways. I’m having it finish ground / polished to spec +.000" / -.002” @ 70 degrees F. It’s for an old Hillies & Jones Dishing machine – Basically a 300 ton press for hand forming large odd shaped pieces of steel.
Time invested doing research before machining - Because I didn’t have a clue 4 – 5 Hours
3 Hours researching bearing material & grease grooves for rotational speed & load.
2.5 hour finding a company who could make the bearing and cut the grease grooves. (Making a mold, poring the material and machining)
The above hours are a guestamate mostly done at home because I have a full schedule at work and have a difficult time researching cool shit like this.
All the above just so I could talk to an engineer, who specialize in this field so I would be able to ask somewhat intelligent questions to be able to make a decision about want needed to be done.
The small shaft is no different – Time, money and a or many phone calls.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back