Puzzled????

Bullitt6301

forum member
Reaction score
Hey, so the issues am having started after I had a oil line pop off while driving. I turned off the engine within a few seconds of realizing what had happen. I had a buddy bring me quarts of oil and started it up. The car sound had changed and sounded hollow but was running fine. I drove the car up the road and it just didn't seem right. I drove it home and starting checking things. I took the front cover off to check the timing components and re time everything thinking it maybe jumped a tooth. Got it all back together and to no avail still the same issue. Only way I can describe the difference is that it is really poppy and running leaner, and the boost comes on really late compared to before and stutters while spooling. A little back story, turbo s197. MMR SB, ported heads, cams. Car was dyno tuned and was running great prior to the oil issue. I am lost. Anyone have anything to checkwould be awesome. Thanks

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Any codes? Which oil line popped off and why? Has your oil pressure changed? Need much more information here.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Did the oil filter blow off or was it plugged? I would be trying to determine WHY the oil line blew off.

Bullitt6301

forum member
Reaction score
Just noticed that there is the plug on cyl#6 is wet with what seems to be oil gas mix. And the inside seems to be wet.

Loose connection on the out line from the relocation piece.

Had just changed the oil to fully syn 5-20. And brand new filter maybe a week before this happened. I am starting to think my only option is to have a compression check done. But the car will run and drive just doesn't seem right.

Last edited by a moderator:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Have you swapped the oil filter since this incident? Without any gauges or other feedback it's just a guessing game.

Bullitt6301

forum member
Reaction score
No I have not swapped the filter. I have a wide band and boost gauge. I am trying to guess at this bit it is not making sense. How could you drop a cylinder? Like this but it when I start it up it is poppy only on the side with the wet plug according to my buddy.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How much oil did it take?

If it was more than 3 quarts, I would drop the oil, strain in cheese cloth, cut the oil filter and check for shavings.

MMR.. I'm not hopeful

Bullitt6301

forum member
Reaction score
Also pulled a couple of cam journals and no damage seen. Everything timing related looked normal. Like I said the car starts right up and runs just a faint stutter at idle and when revving. Also cannot figure the boost being late like it is. Thanks for your help.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Bullitt6301

forum member
Reaction score
So, it dumped the pan on the side of the car in a matter of a few seconds which was 7qt s. If is not a blower a single turbo. I rebuilt the turbo thinking that was an issue, nope. I have never ran low oil except once but found that out right away. The motor has 2000ish miles on it so far. It originally smoked and had a little problems with rings seating because of my mistake but fixed its self shortly after dyno tuning. I ran conventional oil until I hit the 2000 mile mark. I am probably going to take it to the shop and have them run a compression check and see where that is. I have no more guesses.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
U added 7 quarts?

I would stand by first suggestion.

Bullitt6301

forum member
Reaction score
It runs 7 normally to fill it up all the way. When I checked on the side of the road the oil wasn't on the dipstick. I added 7 qts. And started it up.

Bullitt6301

forum member
Reaction score
I will check the oil filter but I do not not think that its the issue. I am leaning towards a bad cylinder now. When I compare the spark plug from other plugs on the same head the number 6 is wet and almost fouled. A week ago I pulled all the plugs just to see how the motor was running and they all looked good. Now this one is all of the sudden wet with oil? No way to tell without a compression if that cylinder has dropped the rings or something else I am not seeing.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
It runs 7 normally to fill it up all the way. When I checked on the side of the road the oil wasn't on the dipstick. I added 7 qts. And started it up.

So what is the level now? There's a lot of variance between 'no oil on the dipstick' and 'bone dry'. Are you overfilled by 2 quarts? Too much oil will drag the motor down as the crank splashes through the extra oil.

Bullitt6301

forum member
Reaction score
Now the oil is where it needs to be. When the engine is sitting it is a little heavy on oil because of the extra turbo lines and oil relocation kit.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Now the oil is where it needs to be. When the engine is sitting it is a little heavy on oil because of the extra turbo lines and oil relocation kit.

These things shouldn't really change where you fill to judged by the dip stick, where is the oil line on the dip stick right now?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back