Reemed out strut mount hole...why?

NDSP

forum member
Reaction score
This past weekend I installed my lowering springs and chamber bolts. Everything went smoothly, no worries, except on my passenger side the top mounting hole on the strut where it bolts to the spindle was reemed out to make it wider. At first my thought was that this car had previously had chamber bolts put in it, because I had a conversion with a fellow S197 owner, where he mentioned having to reem the top hole out to fit the chamber bolts. Mind you the instructions for installing these says nothing about reeming out the hole. I happened to put the passenger side back together first and thought nothing of it because of the earlier conversation. I basically positioned the chamber bolt for maximum chamber and torqued it to spec.

Then I got to the drivers side and the top mounting hole wasn't reemed. Since the instructions said nothing about modifying the hole, I played with it a little while and figured out how to get it in there without having to reem anything ( the washer has a tab that needs to fit into the whole along with the bolt, and that takes some fiddling to figure out how to fit it).

Anyway that got me thinking, one that guy I talked too screwed up his install and two, why in the hell is my one strut reemed out like that. Is that a common practice during alignment to get the proper chamber?

Anyway, now I feel like I need to hurry up and upgrade my dampening fix the reemed out strut hole. I know I need an alignment after installing the springs. I was going to drive it a week or so to let the springs settle. But the passenger side with the reemed hole looks like it has 7° of chamber, lol. That damn thing is tilted.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
The FRPP struts off my Shelby GT I parted out were reamed out on both sides and had camber bolts installed. A different style bolt than what you have described though.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
When I put my Steeda Struts on my 2006 the Ford Tech reamed the holes width so we could properly adjust the alignment as I did not have any mods done to the suspension to allow adjustment. He was a circle track racer and said this was an easy way get everything correct... alignment came out perfect.

NDSP

forum member
Reaction score
No the car has never been in a wreck, clean car fax when I bought it.

I installed eibach chamber bolts which has a little tab that fits in the hole with the bolt to help "offset" it.

I did just look in the ford service manual for camber adjustment and it mentions that you can reem out the bottom hole on the strut when all other options fail to get the camber in spec.

erat

forum member
Reaction score
I had an alignment shop do something similar to mine to adjust the camber plates. Totally un-necessary

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
what is chamber?
MAKE IT STOPPPP

cham·ber

[cheym-ber]
noun 1. a room, usually private, in a house or apartment, especially a bedroom: She retired to her chamber.

2. a room in a palace or official residence.

3. the meeting hall of a legislative or other assembly.

4. chambers, Law. a. a place where a judge hears matters not requiring action in open court.

b. the private office of a judge.

c. (in England) the quarters or rooms that lawyers use to consult with their clients, especially in the Inns of Court.

5. a legislative, judicial, or other like body: the upper or the lower chamber of a legislature.

And there you have it. Always happy to help a brother out. The only "chamber bolt" that I can think of would be a lock on the door of a room described in 1. above... As in "She retired to her chamber, and shot the bolt to keep her suitor out."

Hope that helps!

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
You could have also addressed the "reemed" as opposed to "reamed" while you were there, except its not even a word...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back